By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
India Times NowIndia Times NowIndia Times Now
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
  • Bharat Shreshtha Ratna Sanman
  • India News
  • Categories
    • Technology
    • Entertainment
    • The Escapist
    • Insider
    • Finance ₹
    • India News
    • Science
    • Health
Reading: Supreme Court grants interim bail to filmmaker Vikram Bhatt’s wife in fraud case
Share
India Times NowIndia Times Now
Font ResizerAa
  • Bharat Shreshtha Ratna Sanman
  • India News
  • Categories
Search
  • Bharat Shreshtha Ratna Sanman
  • India News
  • Categories
    • Technology
    • Entertainment
    • The Escapist
    • Insider
    • Finance ₹
    • India News
    • Science
    • Health
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US

Home » Supreme Court grants interim bail to filmmaker Vikram Bhatt’s wife in fraud case

India News

Supreme Court grants interim bail to filmmaker Vikram Bhatt’s wife in fraud case

Times Desk
Last updated: February 13, 2026 7:19 am
Times Desk
Published: February 13, 2026
Share
SHARE


A view of the Supreme Court of India in New Delhi.

A view of the Supreme Court of India in New Delhi.
| Photo Credit: Sushil Kumar Verma

The Supreme Court ordered the forthwith grant of interim bail to Shwetambari V. Bhatt, wife of film director Vikram Bhatt, in a fraud case registered by the Udaipur Police in Rajasthan based on a complaint filed by entrepreneur and IVF specialist Dr. Ajay Murdia, who had turned film producer.

Appearing before a Bench of Chief Justice of India Surya Kant and Justice Joymalya Bagchi, senior advocate Mukul Rohatgi and Siddharth Dave submitted that criminal proceedings were initiated merely because the films, including a biopic on Mr. Murdia himself, “flopped”.

“They came to my residence in Mumbai and picked me up… You cannot put directors in jail because the films have flopped,” Mr. Rohatgi submitted. The Bhatt couple were arrested from Mumbai by the Rajasthan Police in December last year. Mr. Vikram Bhatt is also a petitioner before the Supreme Court.

Chief Justice Kant said it was “very unfortunate” that the director couple had not sought quashing of the case.

“Unfortunately, they (petitioners) have not sought quashing of the FIR. How has Rajasthan been chosen? Very unfortunate,” Chief Justice Kant asked.

Mr. Murdia’s counsel said his client was based in Rajasthan and the fraud involved about Rs. 44 crore.

“So, criminal proceedings will be used to recover your dues?” Justice Bagchi asked the counsel.

When Mr. Rohatgi repeated that two of the movies were on himself and they had flopped, the counsel said “if he (Murdia) can afford them, he could go on”. Mr. Rohatgi countered that directors should not be incarcerated if the movies did not work at the end.

The counsel submitted that Mr. Bhatt’s wife should not be given any leeway as “she was equally a part of the crime”.

“Are you confident a crime has been committed?” Justice Bagchi asked the lawyer.

The court impleaded Mr. Murdia in the case and issued notice to the State of Rajasthan. It scheduled the case for further hearing on February 18.

Published – February 13, 2026 12:49 pm IST



Source link

Cochin Port’s ₹300-cr. project to transform Willingdon Island into a major tourist destination
DMK will be with you to win your voting right, says Stalin
Congress in the grip of a mafia-like gang: Binoy Viswam
Wife, her lover among 4 held in man’s murder in Sathya Sai district
Sacred shrines add to conservation challenges in Karnataka’s Bandipur Tiger Reserve
TAGGED:fraud case against Vikram Bhatt's wifeSC grants interim bail to Vikram Bhatt's wifeSC to hear on February 18Supreme Court
Share This Article
Facebook Email Print
Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Follow US

Find US on Social Medias
FacebookLike
XFollow
YoutubeSubscribe
TelegramFollow

Weekly Newsletter

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!
[mc4wp_form]
Popular News

Maharashtra doctors stage protests demanding speedy probe into Phaltan suicide

Times Desk
Times Desk
November 2, 2025
Tejas crash: Homage paid to Wing Commander Namansh Syal at Air Force Station Sulur, home to No. 45 Squadron
Torture in Madras 140 years ago: when a man’s moustache was pulled out
Bihar swearing-in LIVE: Samrat Choudhary to be sworn in to helm State’s first BJP-led Govt
KEERA to be established for structural reforms in engineering education: Minister
- Advertisement -
Ad imageAd image
Global Coronavirus Cases

Confirmed

0

Death

0

More Information:Covid-19 Statistics
© INDIA TIMES NOW 2026 . All Rights Reserved.
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?