By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
India Times NowIndia Times NowIndia Times Now
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
  • Bharat Shreshtha Ratna Sanman
  • India News
  • Categories
    • Technology
    • Entertainment
    • The Escapist
    • Insider
    • Finance ₹
    • India News
    • Science
    • Health
Reading: Remarks against Col. Sofiya Qureshi: SC to hear plea of MP Minister Vijay Shah
Share
India Times NowIndia Times Now
Font ResizerAa
  • Bharat Shreshtha Ratna Sanman
  • India News
  • Categories
Search
  • Bharat Shreshtha Ratna Sanman
  • India News
  • Categories
    • Technology
    • Entertainment
    • The Escapist
    • Insider
    • Finance ₹
    • India News
    • Science
    • Health
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US

Home » Remarks against Col. Sofiya Qureshi: SC to hear plea of MP Minister Vijay Shah

India News

Remarks against Col. Sofiya Qureshi: SC to hear plea of MP Minister Vijay Shah

Times Desk
Last updated: January 18, 2026 6:58 am
Times Desk
Published: January 18, 2026
Share
SHARE


Madhya Pradesh minister Vijay Shah speaks as he makes an apology through a video over his alleged objectionable remarks against Colonel Sofiya Qureshi, in Bhopal. File.

Madhya Pradesh minister Vijay Shah speaks as he makes an apology through a video over his alleged objectionable remarks against Colonel Sofiya Qureshi, in Bhopal. File.
| Photo Credit: PTI

The Supreme Court is likely to hear on January 19 a plea of Madhya Pradesh Minister Kunwar Vijay Shah against a High Court order directing registration of an FIR against him for using “language of the gutters” against Indian Army officer Col Sofiya Qureshi.

A bench of Chief Justice Surya Kant and Justices Dipankar Datta and Joymalya Bagchi is likely to hear the plea of the Minister, who has expressed regret over his remarks.


Also read | Vijay Shah statement row: An FIR and an angry High Court 

On July 28, 2025, the top court had pulled up Mr. Shah for not placing a public apology over his remarks on record against Col Qureshi, saying he was “testing the court’s patience”.

It had pointed out that the minister’s conduct was prompting it to doubt his intentions and bonafide.

Senior advocate K. Parmeshwar, appearing for Mr. Shah, had argued that the minister has issued a public apology, which was shared online, and would be placed on court’s record.

“What is an online apology? We are starting to have doubts about his intentions and bonafide. You place the apology on record. We will have to see it,” the top court had said.

It had asked the special investigation team (SIT) constituted to probe the statements made by the minister to submit its report by August 13, 2025.

An SIT officer had appeared in court with a sealed cover report, stating statements of 27 people examined by the probe team were currently under scrutiny.

The bench had said statements of those whose sentiments were hurt should have been recorded by the SIT instead of Shah’s statements.

On May 28, last year, the top court ordered closure of proceedings before the Madhya Pradesh High Court against Shah for his controversial remarks against Col Qureshi and asked for a status report from the SIT.

Earlier, the top court chided Mr. Shah and constituted the SIT to probe the FIR lodged against him.

Mr. Shah came under fire after a video, which was circulated widely, showed him allegedly making objectionable remarks against Col Qureshi, who gained nationwide prominence along with another woman officer, Wing Commander Vyomika Singh, during the media briefings on Operation Sindoor.

The high court rebuked Shah for passing “scurrilous” remarks and using “language of the gutters” against Col Qureshi, and ordered police to file an FIR against him on the charge of promoting enmity and hatred.

After drawing severe condemnation, Mr. Shah expressed regret and said he respects Col Qureshi more than his sister.

Published – January 18, 2026 12:28 pm IST



Source link

Madras University invites applications from students for free education scheme
Odisha CM reduces number of vehicles in his convoy by half
Thiruvananthapuram city schools fare well in CBSE class XII exams
T.N. Assembly passes Private Universities Amendment Bill
Trying to bridge the gap between warring communities: Manipur CM
TAGGED:Vijay ShahVijay Shah Operation SindoorVijay Shah Sofiya Qureshi
Share This Article
Facebook Email Print
Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Follow US

Find US on Social Medias
FacebookLike
XFollow
YoutubeSubscribe
TelegramFollow

Weekly Newsletter

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!
[mc4wp_form]
Popular News

Congress, DMK hold seat-sharing talks for the second time

Times Desk
Times Desk
March 16, 2026
Industrial Park likely to come up in the land allocated to Reliance Group in Nellore
Watch: Kulasekarapattinam Dasara: a festival of faith, trance and transformation
Tamil Nadu election 2026: With limited campaigning by Vijay, TVK faces a litmus test in debut poll
Principle of one person, one vote, one value violated, says Shah in Lok Sabha
- Advertisement -
Ad imageAd image
Global Coronavirus Cases

Confirmed

0

Death

0

More Information:Covid-19 Statistics
© INDIA TIMES NOW 2026 . All Rights Reserved.
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?