By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
India Times NowIndia Times NowIndia Times Now
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
  • Bharat Shreshtha Ratna Sanman
  • India News
  • Categories
    • Technology
    • Entertainment
    • The Escapist
    • Insider
    • Finance ₹
    • India News
    • Science
    • Health
Reading: Explained: Why did Delhi High Court quash charges against NewsClick?
Share
India Times NowIndia Times Now
Font ResizerAa
  • Bharat Shreshtha Ratna Sanman
  • India News
  • Categories
Search
  • Bharat Shreshtha Ratna Sanman
  • India News
  • Categories
    • Technology
    • Entertainment
    • The Escapist
    • Insider
    • Finance ₹
    • India News
    • Science
    • Health
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US

Home » Explained: Why did Delhi High Court quash charges against NewsClick?

India News

Explained: Why did Delhi High Court quash charges against NewsClick?

India Times Now Desk
Last updated: June 25, 2026 4:58 am
India Times Now Desk
Published: June 25, 2026
Share
SHARE


A file image of Prabir Purkayastha.

A file image of Prabir Purkayastha.
| Photo Credit: The Hindu

The story so far: The Delhi High Court has quashed the first information report (FIR) registered by the Economic Offences Wing (EOW) of the Delhi Police and the consequent money laundering proceedings initiated by the Enforcement Directorate (ED) against news portal NewsClick and its editor-in-chief, Prabir Purkayastha, over allegations of foreign funding. Holding the action to be a “mala fide and arbitrary” exercise of power, Justice Neena Bansal Krishna said it amounted to an abuse of the legal process and posed a threat to free and independent journalism.

The proceedings stemmed from two cases registered in 2020 by the EOW of the Delhi Police and the ED. The EOW case originated from a letter dated June 26, 2020, written by Sobhan Singh, who was an informant and not an aggrieved party, to the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting, alleging that PPK NewsClick Studios Pvt. Ltd. had misappropriated funds and violated foreign direct investment (FDI) norms. The communication was subsequently forwarded by Vijay Kaushik, Under Secretary in the Ministry, following which the EOW registered an FIR.

Published – June 24, 2026 12:05 pm IST



Source link

A.P. Police arrest two persons from U.P., Maharashtra for terror links
Will seek support of Singapore for Tirupati zoo revamp: Speaker
Two arrested on charge of defamatory, obscene posts against Darshan’s wife
IRCS will set up blood storage centres in four places in Vizianagaram
Seven MLAs from Chennai find place in Tamil Nadu cabinet: highest in recent years
TAGGED:charges against Prabir Purkayasthadelhi high courtNews click case explainedNewsClick caseWhat is Newsclick case
Share This Article
Facebook Email Print
Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Follow US

Find US on Social Medias
FacebookLike
XFollow
YoutubeSubscribe
TelegramFollow

Weekly Newsletter

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!
[mc4wp_form]
Popular News

Uttarakhand: Earthquake of magnitude 3.7 strikes Chamoli

India Times Now Desk
India Times Now Desk
November 30, 2025
T.N. election: J.P. Nadda releases BJP manifesto, says DMK rule has turned State into crime capital
Government raises TDR use, allows more floors and setback relaxations in new building rules
NABARD pegs credit potential for Cuddalore district at ₹27,434.05 crore
Minorities Commission takes up complaints of reluctance by banks to extend loans to beneficiaries from minority communities
- Advertisement -
Ad imageAd image
Global Coronavirus Cases

Confirmed

0

Death

0

More Information:Covid-19 Statistics
© INDIA TIMES NOW 2026 . All Rights Reserved.
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?