By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
India Times NowIndia Times NowIndia Times Now
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
  • Bharat Shreshtha Ratna Sanman
  • India News
  • Categories
    • Technology
    • Entertainment
    • The Escapist
    • Insider
    • Finance ₹
    • India News
    • Science
    • Health
Reading: Debate rages over entry of non-Hindus into Badrinath, Kedarnath
Share
India Times NowIndia Times Now
Font ResizerAa
  • Bharat Shreshtha Ratna Sanman
  • India News
  • Categories
Search
  • Bharat Shreshtha Ratna Sanman
  • India News
  • Categories
    • Technology
    • Entertainment
    • The Escapist
    • Insider
    • Finance ₹
    • India News
    • Science
    • Health
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US

Home » Debate rages over entry of non-Hindus into Badrinath, Kedarnath

India News

Debate rages over entry of non-Hindus into Badrinath, Kedarnath

Times Desk
Last updated: January 26, 2026 11:48 am
Times Desk
Published: January 26, 2026
Share
SHARE


Devotees arrive to offer prayers at Badrinath Temple.

Devotees arrive to offer prayers at Badrinath Temple.
| Photo Credit: PTI

The debate on the entry of non-Hindus into temples under the Shri Badrinath Kedarnath Temple Committee intensified after it said that temples are not tourist centres and entry is not a matter of civil rights.

“Kedarnath and Badrinath Dham are not tourist destinations. These are centres of the Vedic tradition established by Adi Shankaracharya. Article 26 of the Indian Constitution gives every religious denomination the right to manage its own religious affairs. This decision is not against anyone, but is to protect centuries-old faith, discipline, and purity,” committee chairman Hemant Dwivedi told PTI.

Mr. Dwivedi said that just as there are rules related to religious conduct in mosques and churches, there are also traditional rules in Hindu religious places. “Anyone who has faith in Sanatan Dharma is welcome at Kedarnath and Badrinath Dham,” he said.

He was asked about the Sikh and Jain devotees who have been visiting Kedarnath and Badrinath Dham for a long time, including Uttarakhand Governor, retired Lieutenant General Gurmit Singh, who is a Sikh and was present at both the shrines when the temple doors were opened.

Mr. Dwivedi said that the issue is not about any particular religion, but about faith and religious discipline. “There is no restriction for anyone who has faith in the Sanatan tradition,” he said.

Chief Minister Pushkar Singh Dhami had earlier said that the government would adopt a measured approach on the issue and would listen to the views of all parties concerned. To this, Mr. Dwivedi said, “These are all our ancient places of worship. The views of the religious organisations, priests, saints, and local institutions associated with their management and operation will be considered. Some laws related to these sites were made in the past, and they are also being reviewed. Further action will be taken on that basis.”

However, the Opposition had alleged hypocrisy in the matter. Former Uttarakhand Chief Minister and Congress leader Harish Rawat had said that many pilgrimage sites already have local rules and traditions in place, but this issue is being given a political twist.

“If a ban is to be imposed, then it should be imposed everywhere simultaneously. At many pilgrimage sites like Har Ki Pauri, it is already stipulated in the municipal laws who can stay where. But this is hypocrisy on the part of the BJP. Other religions in the world are inviting others to share their religious values, and here restrictions are being imposed,” he said.

Mr. Rawat added that non-Hindu communities have contributed to the construction of many temples in the country, which cannot be ignored.

Published – January 26, 2026 05:18 pm IST



Source link

Young stars shine bright in this camp for Sri Lankan Tamil refugees near city
Mamata supports ‘infiltration’ for electoral benefit, alleges Amit Shah
Tamil Nadu SIR 2026: How to check your name in final voter list
HR&CE Dept conducting festivals for saints including Nathamunigal, Thirunavukkarasar: Minister
Rahul Gandhi trying to create anarchy by demanding reservations in defence forces, alleges Rajnath
TAGGED:badrinath controversybadrinath kedarnath templenon-hindus entering bardrinath kedarnath
Share This Article
Facebook Email Print
Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Follow US

Find US on Social Medias
FacebookLike
XFollow
YoutubeSubscribe
TelegramFollow

Weekly Newsletter

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!
[mc4wp_form]
Popular News

South Korean man stabbed to death by Indian live-in partner in Greater Noida; accused held

Times Desk
Times Desk
January 5, 2026
Pulicat fishermen demand long-term solution as silt threatens lake, livelihoods
Anantapur hospital lauded for cochlear implant surgeries
Interviews for candidates who qualified in APRCET-2024 from February 2
Ryan Cohen’s mysterious bank letter backing his eBay bid reveals a big issue
- Advertisement -
Ad imageAd image
Global Coronavirus Cases

Confirmed

0

Death

0

More Information:Covid-19 Statistics
© INDIA TIMES NOW 2026 . All Rights Reserved.
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?