
SS-UBT MP Sanjay Raut. File | Photo credits: Sansad TV via ANI
Shiv Sena (UBT) leader Sanjay Raut on Sunday (February 22, 2026) said that, being the largest constituent of the Maha Vikas Aghadi (MVA), the party had the first right to win the alliance’s quota of one seat in the Rajya Sabha. He said this backing Aaditya Thackeray’s remarks mentioning the same.
In April, Rajya Sabha stint will end for NCP (SP) chief Sharad Pawar, Sena (UBT) leader Priyanka Chaturvedi, Fauzia Khan of NCP (SP), Ramdas Athawale of RPI (Athawale), BJP’s Bhagwat Karad, Congress’s Rajani Patil and NCP’s Dhairysheel Patil. The Opposition MVA can potentially send one candidate to the Upper House of Parliament due to its reduced strength.

“Mr. Aaditya Thackeray understands politics and legislative functioning. Last time, Sharad Pawar and Priyanka Chaturvedi were elected. At that time, the situation was different, and we were all together with higher numbers. Mr. Aaditya Thackeray will not make an incorrect statement,” Mr. Raut said as the rationale behind his support to the Worli MLA.
Regional saffron: On Maharashtra politics
Considering the numbers in the Assembly, the Rajya Sabha seat “belongs” to his party, and “talks will definitely happen in that direction in the MVA”, Mr. Aaditya Thackeray had said last week. Mr. Raut clarified that there was “no inconsistency” in the party’s stand and pointed out that the Sena (UBT) was the single largest party among the Opposition with 20 MLAs. “There is absolutely nothing wrong with what Mr. Aaditya Thackeray said. We are the single largest party with 20 MLAs. The Congress has 16, and the NCP (SP) has 10. Therefore, whoever gets elected to the Rajya Sabha will go as a candidate of the MVA. As the largest party, the Shiv Sena (UBT) has the first right,” Mr. Raut said.
Initial support
Mr. Raut’s current stand becomes important in the context of his initial support to Mr. Sharad Pawar, representing the alliance in the Rajya Sabha. In this regard, Mr. Raut said he had merely stated that the senior leader had expressed a desire regarding the Rajya Sabha berth.
“I said that as a senior leader, Mr. Sharad Pawar has expressed his wish. He is a senior leader of the MVA. We will sit together and make a collective decision. But it must first be accepted that as the largest party, Shiv Sena (UBT) has the primary claim,” Mr. Raut said, pointing out that the NCP (SP) chief had not officially declared his candidature from his party so far.
The MVA leadership was competent to take an appropriate decision, he said, adding that people should not feel undue “tension or pressure” over the evolving political situation in Maharashtra, adding that arithmetic remained crucial.
The Election Commission will officially notify the polls for seven Rajya Sabha seats, scheduled for March 16, on February 26.
The ruling Mahayuti alliance, comprising the BJP, the Shinde-led Shiv Sena and the NCP, has 232 MLAs and can potentially win six seats.
Published – February 22, 2026 09:55 pm IST


