By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
India Times NowIndia Times NowIndia Times Now
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
  • Bharat Shreshtha Ratna Sanman
  • India News
  • Categories
    • Technology
    • Entertainment
    • The Escapist
    • Insider
    • Finance ₹
    • India News
    • Science
    • Health
Reading: ‘Patriotic excitement’ behind remarks against Colonel Qureshi: M.P. Minister
Share
India Times NowIndia Times Now
Font ResizerAa
  • Bharat Shreshtha Ratna Sanman
  • India News
  • Categories
Search
  • Bharat Shreshtha Ratna Sanman
  • India News
  • Categories
    • Technology
    • Entertainment
    • The Escapist
    • Insider
    • Finance ₹
    • India News
    • Science
    • Health
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US

Home » ‘Patriotic excitement’ behind remarks against Colonel Qureshi: M.P. Minister

India News

‘Patriotic excitement’ behind remarks against Colonel Qureshi: M.P. Minister

Times Desk
Last updated: February 7, 2026 12:10 pm
Times Desk
Published: February 7, 2026
Share
SHARE


Madhya Pradesh Minister Kunwar Vijay Shah speaks to the media as he apologises over his statement on Colonel Sofia Qureshi, in Indore on Saturday. (ANI Video Grab)

Madhya Pradesh Minister Kunwar Vijay Shah speaks to the media as he apologises over his statement on Colonel Sofia Qureshi, in Indore on Saturday. (ANI Video Grab)
| Photo Credit: ANI

With a Supreme Court-mandated deadline for his prosecution looming large,Madhya Pradesh Minister Vijay Shah on Saturday (February 7, 2026) apologised again for his objectionable remarks about Colonel Sofia Qureshi, saying he had uttered the words in a moment of “patriotic excitement”.

Speaking to reporters, Mr. Shah said he never intended to insult a woman officer, the armed forces or any section of society.

The Supreme Court had on January 19 directed the State government to decide within two weeks whether to grant sanction to prosecute Mr. Shah for his controversial remarks about Colonel Qureshi.

Following the apex court’s directive, the Congress has been demanding Shah’s resignation or his removal from the cabinet.

Also Read | Congress seeks removal of M.P. Minister over ‘insult’ to Col. Sofiya Qureshi

The Minister came under fire in May last year after a video of his remarks about Colonel Qureshi during a speech at a public event in Raikunda village in Indore district went viral on social media.

Colonel Qureshi was in the limelight for briefing the media on ‘Operation Sindoor’, India’s military operation against terrorist infrastructure in Pakistan last year.

“I have said this many times earlier, and I am reiterating it today that I did not intend to insult any woman officer, the Indian Army or any section of society,” Mr. Shah said on Saturday (February 7, 2026).

He claimed his words “did not match his feelings” and were uttered in a “moment of patriotic excitement and emotion”.

“The intention behind the mistake must also be seen. You all know that I bore no ill will,” he said.

Shah said he had repeatedly apologised from the depths of his heart for the controversial remark and was once again seeking forgiveness.

“It is extremely painful for me that such a controversy arose due to a small error on my part. I believe my feelings will be seen in the right context. I have always had immense respect for the Indian Army and will continue to do so,” he said.

Shah said maintaining “decorum and sensitivity of words” was extremely important in public life.

“I have introspected and learned a lesson from this incident. I accept my responsibility. I will exercise control over my speech in the future, and such a mistake will not be repeated. Once again, I sincerely apologise to all citizens hurt by this episode, especially the Indian Army,” he added.

The Madhya Pradesh High Court had pulled up Shah for making “derogatory remarks” and using “indecent language” against Colonel Qureshi and ordered the police to register an FIR against him.

Shah holds the portfolios of tribal affairs, public asset management and Bhopal gas tragedy relief and rehabilitation.

After the high court took suo motu cognisance of the statement, an FIR was registered against the cabinet minister at Manpur police station in the district under sections 152, 196(1)(b) and 197(1)(c) of the Bharatiya Nyaya Sanhita.

Published – February 07, 2026 05:40 pm IST



Source link

HC declines Vinu’s plea for voter list inclusion; SEC restores Vyshna Suresh’s name
Karnataka Opposition members express concern over quality of midday meals as supplier quotes below-market prices
Lok Sabha shares Economic Survey with MPs on WhatsApp
Luthra brothers get bail in Goa nightclub fire case, to remain in jail
The Hindu journalists win Laadli awards for gender-sensitive reportage
TAGGED:remarks against Colonel Qureshiremarks against Colonel Sofia QureshiVijay Shah remark rowVijay Shah Supreme court deadline
Share This Article
Facebook Email Print
Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Follow US

Find US on Social Medias
FacebookLike
XFollow
YoutubeSubscribe
TelegramFollow

Weekly Newsletter

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!
[mc4wp_form]
Popular News

Tamil Nadu Assembly election: Anbumani forms seven-member panel to draft PMK manifesto

Times Desk
Times Desk
February 19, 2026
Govt. schools to have on-grid solar power soon
Budget announcement on Harappan site in Haryana’s Rakhigarhi met with scepticism
Kochi Corporation weighs fresh options as KSINC faces criticism over ro-ro service
Karnataka police ranked number one in the India Justice Report: CM Siddaramaiah
- Advertisement -
Ad imageAd image
Global Coronavirus Cases

Confirmed

0

Death

0

More Information:Covid-19 Statistics
© INDIA TIMES NOW 2026 . All Rights Reserved.
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?