By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
India Times NowIndia Times NowIndia Times Now
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
  • Bharat Shreshtha Ratna Sanman
  • India News
  • Categories
    • Technology
    • Entertainment
    • The Escapist
    • Insider
    • Finance ₹
    • India News
    • Science
    • Health
Reading: Officials say yet to receive “formal communication” after Indian claims he was arrested by Ukraine while fighting for Russia
Share
India Times NowIndia Times Now
Font ResizerAa
  • Bharat Shreshtha Ratna Sanman
  • India News
  • Categories
Search
  • Bharat Shreshtha Ratna Sanman
  • India News
  • Categories
    • Technology
    • Entertainment
    • The Escapist
    • Insider
    • Finance ₹
    • India News
    • Science
    • Health
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US

Home » Officials say yet to receive “formal communication” after Indian claims he was arrested by Ukraine while fighting for Russia

India News

Officials say yet to receive “formal communication” after Indian claims he was arrested by Ukraine while fighting for Russia

Times Desk
Last updated: October 8, 2025 10:49 am
Times Desk
Published: October 8, 2025
Share
SHARE


Ukrainian servicemen ride atop on a tank after returning from Russia near the Russian-Ukrainian border.

Ukrainian servicemen ride atop on a tank after returning from Russia near the Russian-Ukrainian border.
| Photo Credit: AP

Indian officials on Tuesday said they were seeking more details about an Indian national who appeared on camera claiming he had been detained by Ukrainian authorities while fighting for the Russian army.

The 22-year-old, identified as Majoti Sahil Mohammed from Gujarat, was named after the video carrying his statement went viral online. India has repeatedly raised with Moscow the issue of its nationals serving in the Russian army and urged their repatriation, but this is the first instance of an Indian fighting on the Russian side being captured by Ukraine and made to confess on video.

“The Indian Mission in Kyiv is ascertaining the veracity of the report. It has not yet received any formal communication from the Ukrainian side in this regard,” said an official source on the Indian citizen reportedly captured by Ukrainian forces.

The Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) has been cautioning against unscrupulous immigration agencies that lure young professionals abroad with fake job offers. Since the escalation of the war in Ukraine, The Hindu has reported on how young men from across India were duped with such offers in Russia and ended up at the battlefront.

The matter figured in official discussions most recently when External Affairs Minister S. Jaishankar visited Russia from August 19-21, 2025, to co-chair the 26th Session of the IRIGC-TEC (India-Russia Inter-Governmental Commission on Trade, Economic, Scientific, Technological and Cultural Cooperation) with Russia’s First Deputy Prime Minister Denis Manturov. He also met Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov. The MEA said Mr. Jaishankar sought “expeditious resolution” of the “pending cases” involving Indian men serving in the Russian Army.

On September 26, MEA spokesperson Randhir Jaiswal said that 27 Indian nationals were serving in the Russian army. “We are also in close touch with their family members in this matter,” Mr. Jaiswal said.

Earlier, on July 24, the MEA informed the Rajya Sabha that 127 Indian nationals were in the Russian military forces, of which the services of 98 had been discontinued as a result of sustained engagement between the Indian and Russian governments, including at the highest levels. The MEA had added that at least 12 Indian men were reported missing by the Russian side.

Indian men who had made video appeals from the conflict zone earlier claimed that several of their colleagues had perished in battle, though these assertions were not accompanied by physical evidence.

Published – October 08, 2025 04:19 pm IST



Source link

Conclave in Feb. on conversion of MoUs into investments: Minister T.R.B. Rajaa
Kochi Port on alert after hantavirus outbreak on cruise ship
Uproar in Haryana Assembly after Congress secures wafer thin win in Rajya Sabha polls
Supreme Court issues notice to Centre, BCI on plea related to POSH complaints by women lawyers
Shreshta IT signs MoU with National Forensic Sciences University Dharwad
TAGGED:Fake job offers sending Indians to Ukraine frontlineIndian citizen captured in UkraineIndians fighting for Russia Ukraine warMEA response Indian nationals Russian armyS. Jaishankar Russia visit August 2025
Share This Article
Facebook Email Print
Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Follow US

Find US on Social Medias
FacebookLike
XFollow
YoutubeSubscribe
TelegramFollow

Weekly Newsletter

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!
[mc4wp_form]
Popular News

PM must take responsibility for foreign policy failure and resign: J&K Congress chief

Times Desk
Times Desk
March 10, 2026
M.K. Stalin convenes meeting with allies as DMK second-line leaders press for AIADMK coalition
Judicial panel to begin inquiry into Leh violence from October 25
Control of Commerzbank ‘not the expected scenario’
Patrons question longer travel time on Nagercoil-Mangaluru Amrit Bharat Express
- Advertisement -
Ad imageAd image
Global Coronavirus Cases

Confirmed

0

Death

0

More Information:Covid-19 Statistics
© INDIA TIMES NOW 2026 . All Rights Reserved.
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?