By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
India Times NowIndia Times NowIndia Times Now
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
  • Bharat Shreshtha Ratna Sanman
  • India News
  • Categories
    • Technology
    • Entertainment
    • The Escapist
    • Insider
    • Finance ₹
    • India News
    • Science
    • Health
Reading: Kupwara custodial torture case: Eight, including six policemen, granted bail
Share
India Times NowIndia Times Now
Font ResizerAa
  • Bharat Shreshtha Ratna Sanman
  • India News
  • Categories
Search
  • Bharat Shreshtha Ratna Sanman
  • India News
  • Categories
    • Technology
    • Entertainment
    • The Escapist
    • Insider
    • Finance ₹
    • India News
    • Science
    • Health
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US

Home » Kupwara custodial torture case: Eight, including six policemen, granted bail

India News

Kupwara custodial torture case: Eight, including six policemen, granted bail

Times Desk
Last updated: December 30, 2025 4:35 pm
Times Desk
Published: December 30, 2025
Share
SHARE


Image for the purpose of representation only.

Image for the purpose of representation only.
| Photo Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto

A court in Jammu and Kashmir on Tuesday (December 30, 2025) granted bail to eight persons, including six policemen, in connection with the alleged custodial torture of a policeman in 2023.

Directing the accused to “remain present before the trial court on each and every date of hearing unless exempted”, the court said, “Any breach of the conditions shall be viewed seriously and shall warrant cancellation of bail.” It added that bail bonds of ₹1 lakh with one surety had been furnished and accepted.

The court also directed the accused to deposit their passports and barred them from leaving the territorial jurisdiction of the court “without prior permission”.

Further, the court warned the accused against “intimidation, hampering or tampering with the prosecution evidence”. “Nor shall they threaten any prosecution witness to hamper the trial,” it said.

The case pertains to the alleged custodial torture of a policeman in February 2023. Two civilians and six policemen, including Deputy Superintendent of Police Ajaz Ahmad Sheikh, were accused by policeman Khurshid Ahmad Chohan of subjecting him to custodial torture.

The Supreme Court in 2025 directed the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) to submit a status report in the case. According to the CBI chargesheet, the victim’s “genital organs and testicles were amputated” during interrogation at a centre in Kupwara.

The CBI has registered a case under Sections 120-B, 307, 323, 325, 326, and 343 of the Indian Penal Code, relating to criminal conspiracy, attempt to murder, voluntarily causing hurt, voluntarily causing grievous hurt, voluntarily causing grievous hurt by dangerous weapons or means, and wrongful confinement for more than three days.

Published – December 30, 2025 10:05 pm IST



Source link

Loco running staff observe 48-hour fast
20th International Film Festival of Thrissur kicks off, women directors and new talents take the spotlight
Social, educational survey hit by technical glitches in Dharwad
Focus on speed of delivering governance, Chandrababu Naidu tells officials
Janardhan Reddy’s model house set on fire in Ballari
TAGGED:CBI probe Kupwara casecustodial violence KashmirJammu and Kashmir police tortureKupwara custodial torture caseKupwara police bail
Share This Article
Facebook Email Print
Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Follow US

Find US on Social Medias
FacebookLike
XFollow
YoutubeSubscribe
TelegramFollow

Weekly Newsletter

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!
[mc4wp_form]
Popular News

A.P. will be garbage-free soon, says MA&UD Minister

Times Desk
Times Desk
December 25, 2025
Four-year-old girl abducted from railway shed, sexually assaulted in Bengal’s Tarakeshwar; one detained
Bengaluru Metro services disrupted on Purple Line for maintenance
‘Extremely shy’ to direct arrest as first option, no need to sensationalise probe: SC in Anil Ambani’s ADAG ‘bank fraud’ case
One for all: On seat-sharing for the Tamil Nadu Assembly election
- Advertisement -
Ad imageAd image
Global Coronavirus Cases

Confirmed

0

Death

0

More Information:Covid-19 Statistics
© INDIA TIMES NOW 2026 . All Rights Reserved.
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?