By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
India Times NowIndia Times NowIndia Times Now
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
  • Bharat Shreshtha Ratna Sanman
  • India News
  • Categories
    • Technology
    • Entertainment
    • The Escapist
    • Insider
    • Finance ₹
    • India News
    • Science
    • Health
Reading: Judicial inquiry ordered into Leh violence to fulfil Ladakh’s demand, says Chief Secretary
Share
India Times NowIndia Times Now
Font ResizerAa
  • Bharat Shreshtha Ratna Sanman
  • India News
  • Categories
Search
  • Bharat Shreshtha Ratna Sanman
  • India News
  • Categories
    • Technology
    • Entertainment
    • The Escapist
    • Insider
    • Finance ₹
    • India News
    • Science
    • Health
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US

Home » Judicial inquiry ordered into Leh violence to fulfil Ladakh’s demand, says Chief Secretary

India News

Judicial inquiry ordered into Leh violence to fulfil Ladakh’s demand, says Chief Secretary

India Times Now Desk
Last updated: October 18, 2025 5:39 am
India Times Now Desk
Published: October 18, 2025
Share
SHARE


Ladakh Chief Secretary Pawan Kotwal has said that the Home Ministry’s order for a judicial inquiry into the September 24 Leh violence to fulfil the demand of the people of the Union Territory seeking a fair and transparent probe into the incident.

Addressing a key demand of the protesting Ladakh groups, the Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) on Friday (October 17, 2025) announced a judicial inquiry headed by a retired Supreme Court Judge into last month’s violent clashes in Leh.

The clashes between security forces and protesters — who were demanding Statehood and Sixth Schedule status for the Union territory — left four civilians dead and 90 injured, escalating a months-long agitation.

“This decision reflects the government’s commitment to justice and transparency,” he said.

Providing an update on the injured, Mr. Kotwal said five individuals, including an ex-serviceman, are currently undergoing treatment at the SNM Hospital. “Doctors performed life-saving surgeries on 11 injured on the day of the incident. One of the injured will require a longer recovery period,” he said.

The Chief Secretary said most of those arrested during the violence have been granted bail, while the remaining 30 are in judicial custody and are expected to be released in due course on completion of legal procedures.

Appealing to people for calm, Mr. Kotwal urged the community leaders to maintain peace and avoid large gatherings or protests, especially after the government’s decision to hold a judicial probe. “The protests [on September 24] began peacefully but later went beyond the control of the organisers,” he said.

Mr. Kotwal also warned against any future disturbances and sought cooperation from the public in maintaining peace, particularly during the ongoing examination season. “We must ensure a calm environment conducive to learning,” he said. The official also highlighted the adverse impact of unrest on tourism and urged collective efforts to revive the sector, which is vital for Ladakh’s economy.

Reaffirming the Centre’s commitment to dialogue, he said the Government of India will continue its engagement with the high-powered committee (HPC) to address Ladakh’s concerns through peaceful means. “The people of Ladakh are known for their patriotism and sense of responsibility. I thank everyone for their cooperation, and urge continued support in restoring normalcy across the region,” Mr. Kotwal said.

He added that the situation in the Union Territory is returning to normal following the unfortunate incident on September 24.

On the law and order front, Mr. Kotwal said, “Several individuals were arrested, most of whom have been released. At present, 30 persons remain in judicial custody, and their release lies within the jurisdiction of the court. Once the court grants bail, they too will be released.”

Referring to the protests, he said, “People had assured that the agitation would remain non-violent, and peace would prevail, as Ladakh is known for its harmony and calm. However, the violence broke out unexpectedly. Community leaders later acknowledged during their meetings that the situation had gone beyond their control.”

Stating that people’s demand for a judicial probe into the incident has now been met, Mr. Kotwal said, “We immediately ordered a magisterial inquiry led by an IAS officer, which is underway. However, we repeatedly received requests that the matter should be investigated under the supervision of a Supreme Court judge so that the full truth comes out.”

“Taking those requests into account and after consultations with the concerned leaders, the Government of India has ordered a judicial probe to be conducted by a former Supreme Court Judge, who will be assisted by an IAS officer and a local Judge.”

According to a notification issued by the MHA, the judicial probe, to be headed by Justice B.S. Chauhan, a former Judge of the Supreme Court, is mandated to investigate the “circumstances leading to the serious law and order situation, the police action and the resultant unfortunate deaths of four people”.

Retired District and Sessions Judge Mohan Singh Parihar will function as Judicial Secretary, while IAS officer Tushar Anand will be the Administrative Secretary of the inquiry commission.

Mr. Kotwal also said that talks on various issues, including safeguards for Ladakh, are underway. “We are confident that the community leaders will prevent any mass assembly,” he said.

He also said that discussions on compensations were in progress, but emphasised that “a peaceful environment is necessary for the talks to move forward”.

On the deployment of security forces, the Chief Secretary said, “We had deployed four companies in August. After the [September 24] incident, we brought in additional forces and later began sending some of them back. In their place, we have deployed two companies of Rapid Action Force [RAF] trained for law-and-order situations.”

Published – October 18, 2025 11:09 am IST



Source link

Conference on radiology held at CMC in Vellore
Villupuram court acquits former Minister Ponmudy, six others in red sand quarrying case
Consultation on mental health and technology
Supreme Court’s observations on Mullaperiyar dam an injustice to T.N., says Vaiko
Two held on charge of assaulting minors
TAGGED:judicial probe into leh violenceladakh protests judicial probeladakh statehood demandLeh protestsleh violence
Share This Article
Facebook Email Print
Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Follow US

Find US on Social Medias
FacebookLike
XFollow
YoutubeSubscribe
TelegramFollow

Weekly Newsletter

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!
[mc4wp_form]
Popular News

Karanja Irrigation Project: Samiti demands release of compensation to affected farmers by January 2026

India Times Now Desk
India Times Now Desk
December 5, 2025
Man, son held in connection with death of farmer in Vellore
Education, economic progress will reduce caste and religious divisions, says VIT Chancellor
Bengal does not believe in bulldozer politics, says Mamata Banerjee
Local body poll results signal shift in Kerala politics: BJP leader Prakash Javadekar
- Advertisement -
Ad imageAd image
Global Coronavirus Cases

Confirmed

0

Death

0

More Information:Covid-19 Statistics
© INDIA TIMES NOW 2026 . All Rights Reserved.
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?