By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
India Times NowIndia Times NowIndia Times Now
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
  • Bharat Shreshtha Ratna Sanman
  • India News
  • Categories
    • Technology
    • Entertainment
    • The Escapist
    • Insider
    • Finance ₹
    • India News
    • Science
    • Health
Reading: Imphal-Guwahati bus service resumes after more than three years
Share
India Times NowIndia Times Now
Font ResizerAa
  • Bharat Shreshtha Ratna Sanman
  • India News
  • Categories
Search
  • Bharat Shreshtha Ratna Sanman
  • India News
  • Categories
    • Technology
    • Entertainment
    • The Escapist
    • Insider
    • Finance ₹
    • India News
    • Science
    • Health
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US

Home » Imphal-Guwahati bus service resumes after more than three years

India News

Imphal-Guwahati bus service resumes after more than three years

India Times Now Desk
Last updated: August 21, 2026 7:30 am
India Times Now Desk
Published: August 21, 2026
Share
SHARE


Imphal-Guwahati bus service resumes after more than three years of unrest in Manipur. Photo: Special Arrangement

Imphal-Guwahati bus service resumes after more than three years of unrest in Manipur. Photo: Special Arrangement

The Imphal-Guwahati bus service via Nagaland’s Dimapur resumed on Friday (August 21, 2026) after more than three years, raising hopes for sustainable peace in conflict-scarred Manipur.

The bus service on National Highway-2, the more preferred of Manipur’s two lifelines, had been the primary mode of surface communication for most people in the State with the world beyond. This service was a major casualty of the ethnic conflict that broke out between the tribal Kuki-Zo and the non-tribal Meitei communities on May 3, 2023.

Manipur government officials said 125 passengers left for Guwahati, Assam’s principal city, from Imphal in two buses and five wingers on Friday (August 21, 2026) morning.

“The resumption of this service is an important step towards restoring normal life and strengthening connectivity. People have welcomed the restoration of this crucial inter-State link,” a government spokesperson said.

Kiyam Kumarjit Singh from Imphal Valley’s Thoubal district thanked the State government for the positive initiative. “The resumption of the bus service should usher in love, peace, and harmony among all communities in the State, and should help people forget the past and look ahead,” he said.

Nivedita Chanu, a traveller from Imphal East district’s Khundrakpam village, said the lifting of highway blockades and free movement of people augured well for Manipur.

Officials said the buses crossed Kangpokpi, a Kuki-dominated district, and the Naga-majority Senapati district before entering Nagaland in the afternoon en route to Guwahati.

The movement of people belonging to most communities in Manipur had been barred on NH-2 due to a series of blockades and counter-blockades, first by Kuki groups and then by Naga organisations.

The bus service resumed after Chief Minister Yumnam Khemchand Singh on August 8 announced the reopening of the national highways for the free movement of all communities. He announced this during his visit to Kangpokpi district, along with Deputy Chief Minister Nemcha Kipgen and Saitu MLA Haokholet Kipgen.

Published – August 21, 2026 01:00 pm IST



Source link

Heavy rain batters Kerala’s Kannur, two missing, 26 shifted to relief camp
BIMS’ golden jubilee fete ends, alumni association takes shape
Renaming MGNREGA will cost lot of government resources: Priyanka Gandhi
Star Air launches direct flights to Mundra, operations to commence from June 23
A wider SIR has momentum but it is still a test case
TAGGED:Imphal-Guwahati bus serviceImphal-Guwahati transportManipur conflict
Share This Article
Facebook Email Print
Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Follow US

Find US on Social Medias
FacebookLike
XFollow
YoutubeSubscribe
TelegramFollow

Weekly Newsletter

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!
[mc4wp_form]
Popular News

India’s economic growth continues to create career opportunities for youngsters, says Director of Indian Institute of Petroleum and Energy

India Times Now Desk
India Times Now Desk
December 26, 2025
Curtains down on Hasanamba festival: Temple doors closed, over 26 lakh visitors recorded in 14 days
Alia Bhatt bags Golden Globe Horizon Award, says ‘never shrink your dream’ at Red Sea Film Festival
The 50 Winner: Is Bigg Boss OTT fame Shiv Thakare having a chance at winning the reality show?
Non-teaching staff body welcomes G.O. 34
- Advertisement -
Ad imageAd image
Global Coronavirus Cases

Confirmed

0

Death

0

More Information:Covid-19 Statistics
© INDIA TIMES NOW 2026 . All Rights Reserved.
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?