By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
India Times NowIndia Times NowIndia Times Now
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
  • Bharat Shreshtha Ratna Sanman
  • India News
  • Categories
    • Technology
    • Entertainment
    • The Escapist
    • Insider
    • Finance ₹
    • India News
    • Science
    • Health
Reading: Illegal telephone exchange case: Madras High Court allows Dayanidhi Maran’s plea to summon Union Telecom Secretary as court witness
Share
India Times NowIndia Times Now
Font ResizerAa
  • Bharat Shreshtha Ratna Sanman
  • India News
  • Categories
Search
  • Bharat Shreshtha Ratna Sanman
  • India News
  • Categories
    • Technology
    • Entertainment
    • The Escapist
    • Insider
    • Finance ₹
    • India News
    • Science
    • Health
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US

Home » Illegal telephone exchange case: Madras High Court allows Dayanidhi Maran’s plea to summon Union Telecom Secretary as court witness

India News

Illegal telephone exchange case: Madras High Court allows Dayanidhi Maran’s plea to summon Union Telecom Secretary as court witness

Times Desk
Last updated: March 25, 2026 6:00 pm
Times Desk
Published: March 25, 2026
Share
SHARE


DMK MP Dayanidhi Maran. File

DMK MP Dayanidhi Maran. File
| Photo Credit: R. Ashok

The Madras High Court on Wednesday (March 25, 2026) allowed a plea by Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam (DMK) Member of Parliament (MP) Dayanidhi Maran to summon the Union Telecommunication Secretary to depose as a court witness before the trial court in Chennai in the illegal telephone exchange case booked for alleged offences committed during his stint as the Union Minister between 2004 and 2007.

Justice A.D. Jagadish Chandira wrote: “In the instant case, where the allegations involve the provision and utilisation of telecommunication infrastructure, the interpretation of administrative rules and the functioning of public sector entities during the relevant period; the evidence of individuals who were directly connected with the relevant administrative processes, assumes significance.”

He said, the testimony of those individuals may shed light on the factual and procedural aspects underlying the allegations and may assist the special court for MP/MLA cases in Chennai to appreciate the evidence, already on record, in its proper perspective. Therefore, it was essential to summon those inviduals and examine them as court witnesses in order to discern the truth, he added.

“In matters relating to departmental facilities and administrative privileges, the scope and nature of entitlement may vary depending upon the position held and the functional requirements of the office. In such circumstances, the person best placed to clarify the administrative framework governing such entitlement would be the Secretary (Telecom), who functions as the senior-most executive authority,” the judge said.

What is the case all about?

The case against Mr. Maran and many other co-accused had been booked by the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI). According to the prosecution, he had dishonestly procured large number of telecom facilities at his Boat Club residence as well as home office in Chennai in connivance with senior officials of BSNL and permitted those facilities to be used for the business purposes of Sun TV Network Limited.

Alleging that the CBI had not examined many individuals as prosecution witnesses thereby depriving them of a chance to cross examine those witnesses, Mr. Maran and Sun TV Network’s Chief Technical Officer S. Kannan had approached the High Court with a plea to permit the summoning of those individuals as court witnesses. Mr. Maran had also insisted upon production of certain documents vital to the case.

Justice Chandira allowed Mr. Kannan’s sole petition and permitted the summoning of Rakesh Kumar Somani who had served as AGM (Vigilance), BSNL, New Delhi. Similarly, the judge allowed five different petitions filed by Mr. Maran and permitted summoning of the individuals named therein as court witnesses. He, however, dismissed the former Minister’s sixth petition for summoning individuals named A. Mahalingam and Mohan Lal Sindhi as court witnesses.

Published – March 25, 2026 11:30 pm IST



Source link

DMK government achieved in 4 years what the AIADMK could not in a decade: Stalin
Government evades question on verification of candidates affidavit during polls, says matter is sub judice
Derogatory language against Shankaracharya is verbal violence: Akhilesh Yadav
Kerala local body polls: CPI(M) drops P.P. Divya, likely to field K. Anusree in Kannur district panchayat
Rajya Sabha passes CAPF Bill, Opposition walks out
Share This Article
Facebook Email Print
Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Follow US

Find US on Social Medias
FacebookLike
XFollow
YoutubeSubscribe
TelegramFollow

Weekly Newsletter

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!
[mc4wp_form]
Popular News

Several Maharashtra Cities Record Temperatures Above 40°C; Rain and Thunderstorms Predicted from March 17

Times Desk
Times Desk
March 14, 2026
Kerala local body polls: No name on voters’ list makes UDF’s youngest candidate ineligible to contest in Thiruvananthapuram Corporation
Show cause notices to two LPG cylinder agencies in Yadgir for violating rules
Maharashtra Government rolls out NCMC card scheme providing travel concessions to senior citizens
Gold price touches ₹1 lakh per sovereign, buyers feel the pinch
- Advertisement -
Ad imageAd image
Global Coronavirus Cases

Confirmed

0

Death

0

More Information:Covid-19 Statistics
© INDIA TIMES NOW 2026 . All Rights Reserved.
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?