By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
India Times NowIndia Times NowIndia Times Now
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
  • Bharat Shreshtha Ratna Sanman
  • India News
  • Categories
    • Technology
    • Entertainment
    • The Escapist
    • Insider
    • Finance ₹
    • India News
    • Science
    • Health
Reading: Government prunes around 2.25 crore ineligible beneficiaries under free ration scheme in last 4-5 months
Share
India Times NowIndia Times Now
Font ResizerAa
  • Bharat Shreshtha Ratna Sanman
  • India News
  • Categories
Search
  • Bharat Shreshtha Ratna Sanman
  • India News
  • Categories
    • Technology
    • Entertainment
    • The Escapist
    • Insider
    • Finance ₹
    • India News
    • Science
    • Health
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US

Home » Government prunes around 2.25 crore ineligible beneficiaries under free ration scheme in last 4-5 months

India News

Government prunes around 2.25 crore ineligible beneficiaries under free ration scheme in last 4-5 months

India Times Now Desk
Last updated: November 18, 2025 7:43 pm
India Times Now Desk
Published: November 18, 2025
Share
SHARE


Ration being distribute at a centre at Kewal Park in New Delhi. File image used for representation only.

Ration being distribute at a centre at Kewal Park in New Delhi. File image used for representation only.
| Photo Credit: The Hindu

The government has pruned about 2.25 crore ineligible beneficiaries of the free monthly ration scheme in the last 4-5 months as it looks to make the programme more focused to benefit only the rightful, a top Food Ministry official said on Tuesday (November 18, 2025).

The 5 kg free foodgrains (wheat and rice) per month is provided to only poor as a means for providing them monthly sustenance.

However, unintended beneficiaries — those owning four-wheelers, having monthly income above threshold or directorship of companies, had crept into the list under the National Food Security Act (NFSA).

“Around 2.25 crore ineligible beneficiaries have been weeded out from the NFSA,” Food Secretary Sanjeev Chopra told reporters in New Delhi.

The Secretary said the exercise had been made to ensure better targeting of “rightful” beneficiaries.

Mr. Chopra said the eligible beneficiaries were being added to the list by the State governments.

Another senior official of the Ministry explained that the Department of Food and Public Distribution at the Centre identified the ineligible beneficiaries. The list was shared with the State governments for proper verification of beneficiaries and then deletion, if found unfit.

The official said these 2.25 crore ineligible beneficiaries had been weeded out in the past 4-5 months.

Many of these beneficiaries had passed away, he said, adding that beneficiaries having directorship in companies and owning four-wheelers, too, had been deleted.

The National Food Security Act (NFSA), which was passed by Parliament in 2013, provides for coverage of up to 75% of rural population and up to 50% of urban population.

This covers about two-thirds of the total population of the country, which comes to 81.35 crore, based on Census 2011.

States are responsible for identification of beneficiaries and issuance of their ration cards. Deletion of ineligible beneficiaries and addition of eligible beneficiaries under the Act is a continuous process. The eligibility criteria is also being fixed by States.

Free foodgrains are being provided under the two categories of beneficiaries — Antodaya Anna Yojana (AAY) households and priority households (PHH). The Act entitles 35 kg foodgrains per AAY household per month, whereas 5 kg foodgrain per PHH person per month.

In July this year, the Centre had informed Parliament that against the intended coverage of 81.35 crore, States/union territories had identified only 80.56 crore persons and there was a scope of identification of 0.79 crore more beneficiaries under the NFSA.

There are more than 19 crore ration card holders in the country while there are around 5 lakh ration shops (fair price shops) across all States and union territories.

Published – November 19, 2025 01:13 am IST



Source link

Implementation of VB-G RAM G begins in West Bengal
Kerala SIR: Over 500 with non-Indian citizenship on their way out of electoral rolls
23 survivors of blast cling to life at Lok Nayak Hospital; families hold on to hope
Arunachaleswarar Temple Devasthanam gives nod for renovation of Muthulakshmi Reddy’s home in Chennai
Jal Jeevan Mission: CM accuses Centre of starving State of funds for over two years and demands release of dues
TAGGED:government free ration schemeineligible receivers of government free rationnational food security act
Share This Article
Facebook Email Print
Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Follow US

Find US on Social Medias
FacebookLike
XFollow
YoutubeSubscribe
TelegramFollow

Weekly Newsletter

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!
[mc4wp_form]
Popular News

Elephant tusks worth ₹2 crore stolen from Pangode Military Station in Kerala

India Times Now Desk
India Times Now Desk
February 13, 2026
Former Odisha CM lashes out at current BJP govt for disruptions in disbursement of pensions
First phase of Mananchira-Vellimadukunnu road project opened to traffic
When will Tamil Nadu CM Vijay break his silence, asks DMK leader Stalin
Ramayana 3D promo to release with Avatar Fire And Ash in theatres; Avengers Doomsday teaser also expected
- Advertisement -
Ad imageAd image
Global Coronavirus Cases

Confirmed

0

Death

0

More Information:Covid-19 Statistics
© INDIA TIMES NOW 2026 . All Rights Reserved.
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?