By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
India Times NowIndia Times NowIndia Times Now
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
  • Bharat Shreshtha Ratna Sanman
  • India News
  • Categories
    • Technology
    • Entertainment
    • The Escapist
    • Insider
    • Finance ₹
    • India News
    • Science
    • Health
Reading: Godavari suicide bid: man dies, 2 missing; note alleges daughter harassed
Share
India Times NowIndia Times Now
Font ResizerAa
  • Bharat Shreshtha Ratna Sanman
  • India News
  • Categories
Search
  • Bharat Shreshtha Ratna Sanman
  • India News
  • Categories
    • Technology
    • Entertainment
    • The Escapist
    • Insider
    • Finance ₹
    • India News
    • Science
    • Health
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US

Home » Godavari suicide bid: man dies, 2 missing; note alleges daughter harassed

India News

Godavari suicide bid: man dies, 2 missing; note alleges daughter harassed

India Times Now Desk
Last updated: August 17, 2026 3:24 pm
India Times Now Desk
Published: August 17, 2026
Share
SHARE


Police personnel searching for the family missing in river Godavari in Rajamahendravaram city on Monday.

Police personnel searching for the family missing in river Godavari in Rajamahendravaram city on Monday.
| Photo Credit: SPECIAL ARRANGEMENT

Authorities retrieved the body of a 61-year-old man on Monday evening after he along with his wife, daughter and 10-year-old grandson, jumped into river Godavari from the Road-cum-Rail bridge in Rajamahendravaram city on Sunday night. The deceased, identified as K. Nooka Raju, worked as an Assistant Engineer at Panchayat Raj Department in Pithapuram mandal of Kakinada district.

However, the 10-year-old boy has survived the suicide bid and he was rescued by the fisherfolk as he was lying unconscious on an island in the river. The search operation is still in progress for Nooka Raju’s wife Meena, 58, and daughter Sowjanya, 38.

A suicide note dated August 16, believed to have been left by Raju in the car, alleged that SK. Sadhik Khan, who runs the PRO Rifle Shooting Academy had been harassing his daughter after the demise of her husband earlier this year in February.

“Sadhik [Khan] has been behind my daughter, promising to take care of her. He has threatened to eliminate my grandson and me when we rejected his proposal. He has taken our bank accounts and valuable things into his possession by threatening us,” reads the note, which was accessed by The Hindu and addressed to the Kakinada District Collector and Superintendent of Police.

“Our family had decided to end our lives as we are unable to face the atrocities against my daughter and unable to face the threats from Sadhik,” the note states.

The note will be sent to a forensic laboratory, said South Division DSP A. Siva Priya, adding, “The investigation is in progress.”

The incident came to light after a man crossing the bridge by road alerted the police at 11.32 p.m on Sunday night.

Based on a statement by the grandson and the suicide letter, a case has been registered against Mr. Sadhik on the charges of ‘Abetment of suicide’ under Section 108 of the BNS, DSP Priya stated, adding that special teams have been deployed to trace Mr. Sadhik Khan.

Meanwhile, the search operation continued till 7 p.m. on Monday with the support of the State Disaster Response Force and it will resume on Tuesday.

According to an official release from the East Godavari Jana Sena Party, Mr. Pawan Kalyan spoke to Kakinada SP G. Bindu Madhav and East Godavari SP D. Narasimha Kishore and asked them to speed up the investigation. “The accused who reportedly drove the family to take the extreme step should be booked,” Mr. Kalyan said. 

Those in distress or having suicidal thoughts can call the Rajamahendravaram city police helpline at 70757-49825, or Tele-MANAS at 14416.

Published – August 17, 2026 08:48 pm IST



Source link

Top news of the day on September 19, 2025
ED files prosecution complaint against Ranya, others in gold smuggling and money laundering case
Karnataka enhances sugarcane FRP by ₹100; farmers call off strike
Watch: How Nashik has thwarted the government’s plan to hack trees in Tapovan so far
State notifies formation of Greater Mysuru City Corporation
TAGGED:Rajamahendravaram crimeSuicide attempt
Share This Article
Facebook Email Print
Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Follow US

Find US on Social Medias
FacebookLike
XFollow
YoutubeSubscribe
TelegramFollow

Weekly Newsletter

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!
[mc4wp_form]
Popular News

PM Modi vows to defeat Trinamool’s ‘arrogant’ politics after ‘insult’ to President

India Times Now Desk
India Times Now Desk
March 8, 2026
PM Modi announces signing of India-EU Free Trade Agreement
‘Disproportionate growth’ in assets of BJP MP Nishikant Dubey’s wife: Congress
Supreme Court stays Calcutta HC verdict disqualifying Mukul Roy as MLA for defecting to Trinamool Congress
Under fire for J&K’s Republic Day tableau, artist Balwant Thakur says ‘political score-settling unfair’
- Advertisement -
Ad imageAd image
Global Coronavirus Cases

Confirmed

0

Death

0

More Information:Covid-19 Statistics
© INDIA TIMES NOW 2026 . All Rights Reserved.
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?