By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
India Times NowIndia Times NowIndia Times Now
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
  • Bharat Shreshtha Ratna Sanman
  • India News
  • Categories
    • Technology
    • Entertainment
    • The Escapist
    • Insider
    • Finance ₹
    • India News
    • Science
    • Health
Reading: DGP appointment row: second contempt petition moved against Tamil Nadu government
Share
India Times NowIndia Times Now
Font ResizerAa
  • Bharat Shreshtha Ratna Sanman
  • India News
  • Categories
Search
  • Bharat Shreshtha Ratna Sanman
  • India News
  • Categories
    • Technology
    • Entertainment
    • The Escapist
    • Insider
    • Finance ₹
    • India News
    • Science
    • Health
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US

Home » DGP appointment row: second contempt petition moved against Tamil Nadu government

India News

DGP appointment row: second contempt petition moved against Tamil Nadu government

Times Desk
Last updated: October 19, 2025 5:41 pm
Times Desk
Published: October 19, 2025
Share
SHARE


A second contempt petition has been moved against the State of Tamil Nadu in the ongoing row over the appointment of a regular Director-General of Police (DGP)/Head of Police Force (HoPF).

Madurai-based rights activist Henri Tiphagne has filed the contempt against the State Chief Secretary for not appointing a regular DGP/HoPF despite having received the list of empanelled officers approved by the Union Public Service Commission (UPSC).

SC guidelines

In his petition, he said the action of the State was violative of the guidelines laid down by the Supreme Court in the Prakash Singh case.

Disposing of his earlier contempt plea, the Supreme Court has directed the UPSC to expeditiously complete the process of empanelment and directed the State government to take steps forthwith to appoint a regular DGP.

At present, G. Venkatraman holds the post of acting DGP of Tamil Nadu after the retirement of the then incumbent HoPF Shankar Jiwal.

Pursuant to the apex court order, the UPSC had convened the Empanelment Committee Meeting in Delhi on September 26, 2025, to shortlist the panel of three DGP-rank officers fit for appointment to the post of DGP/HoPF.

After the meeting, Mr. Tiphagne said the names of three DGPs had been finalised and sent to the Tamil Nadu government by the UPSC. However, having received the list of officers eligible to be appointed, the State had failed in its duty to take necessary steps forthwith on the communication by the UPSC committee, to appoint a regular DGP.

“The State has not issued notification regarding the appointment for more than 15 days from the date of communication from the UPSC committee. It is pertinent to note that the ad-hoc/in-charge DGP continues to hold the post from August 31, 2025, till date. This is a clear violation of the guidelines laid down by the Supreme Court,” Mr. Tiphagne added.

Published – October 19, 2025 11:11 pm IST



Source link

Watch: Perarivalan joins Madras High Court as lawyer
H.D. Kumaraswamy favours JD(S) alliance with BJP in local body polls in Karnataka
Bengal job scam allegations: ED seizes ₹45 lakh in cash, documents during raids
₹2.65 lakh per square yard bid received for plot in Kukatpally; 1,400 sft flat sold for ₹1.10 crore
Naveen Patnaik attacks Mohan Majhi government over paddy procurement
TAGGED:appointment rowcontempt petitionDGPHenri TiphagnemovedsecondTamil Nadu governmentUPSC
Share This Article
Facebook Email Print
Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Follow US

Find US on Social Medias
FacebookLike
XFollow
YoutubeSubscribe
TelegramFollow

Weekly Newsletter

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!
[mc4wp_form]
Popular News

Karnataka proposes teacher recruitment rules prioritising competitive exam scores

Times Desk
Times Desk
February 9, 2026
Development works of Sammakka-Saralamma Jatara will be completed on time: Ponguleti
Kerala Assembly poll results: CPI(M) rebel V. Kunhikrishnan wins Payyannur seat with 7,487 votes, breaking CPI(M) stronghold
No change in schemes for unorganised workers after Labour Codes: Centre
President Murmu approves increasing Supreme Court Judge strength from 34 to 38
- Advertisement -
Ad imageAd image
Global Coronavirus Cases

Confirmed

0

Death

0

More Information:Covid-19 Statistics
© INDIA TIMES NOW 2026 . All Rights Reserved.
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?