By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
India Times NowIndia Times NowIndia Times Now
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
  • Bharat Shreshtha Ratna Sanman
  • India News
  • Categories
    • Technology
    • Entertainment
    • The Escapist
    • Insider
    • Finance ₹
    • India News
    • Science
    • Health
Reading: Allegations of illegal sand mining against E.V. Velu will be probed, says the Tiruvannamalai Collector
Share
India Times NowIndia Times Now
Font ResizerAa
  • Bharat Shreshtha Ratna Sanman
  • India News
  • Categories
Search
  • Bharat Shreshtha Ratna Sanman
  • India News
  • Categories
    • Technology
    • Entertainment
    • The Escapist
    • Insider
    • Finance ₹
    • India News
    • Science
    • Health
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US

Home » Allegations of illegal sand mining against E.V. Velu will be probed, says the Tiruvannamalai Collector

India News

Allegations of illegal sand mining against E.V. Velu will be probed, says the Tiruvannamalai Collector

India Times Now Desk
Last updated: August 14, 2026 3:51 pm
India Times Now Desk
Published: August 14, 2026
Share
SHARE


E.V. Velu

E.V. Velu
| Photo Credit: FILE PHOTO

Large-scale illegal sand mining in the dry lake bed at Malappambadi village near  Tiruvannamalai, allegedly by senior DMK leader and former PWD and Highways Minister E.V. Velu, will be probed, Collector Vandana Garg has said.

In an interaction with The Hindu, she said the district administration was aware of the complaints of illegal sand mining in the lake. An inquiry committee would be formed to probe the charges of sand theft that had allegedly caused a loss to the exchequer. “We are discussing the issue of illegal sand mining in the lake. An inquiry committee will be formed to conduct a detailed probe into it,” Ms. Garg said.

The Collector’s remarks came in the wake of the complaint lodged by Arappor Iyakkam, an NGO, with the Directorate of Vigilance and Anti-Corruption (DVAC) in Chennai on August 13. The complaint said a large quantity of sand from the dry lake bed was illegally mined by Mr. Velu and his supporters for levelling an open land, spread over 124.56 acres, to organise the DMK’s northern zone youth wing conference on December 14 last year.

The conference was attended by DMK president and former Chief Minister M.K. Stalin and his son and former Deputy Chief Minister Udhayanidhi. The sand theft had caused a loss of ₹8  crore to the exchequer, the complaint said.

Arappor Iyakkam also accused Mr. Velu, who was the DMK’s northern zonal in-charge for the 2026 Assembly election, of overseeing the logistics for the conference. “The sand from the lake bed was illegally mined to a depth of around 10 feet-23 feet and to an extent of around 12 acres as against the permissible limit of one metre in depth under the Tamil Nadu Minor Mineral Concession Rules, 1959. The excavated sand could be used only for local agricultural, pottery, and domestic purposes,” the complaint said.

The NGO alleged that residents, farmers, and members of farmers’ organisations, led by environmental activist  Arul Arumugam, had sent complaints about the illegal excavation of sand to the Collector, the Tahsildhar, the Village Administrative Officer, and the  Tiruvannamalai Corporation. But no action was taken.  Arappor Iyakkam  has urged the DVAC to register a First Information Report against Mr. Velu and others.

Published – August 14, 2026 09:21 pm IST



Source link

Infantry Day observed at Pangode Military Station
Teen killed, four others critically injured as speeding car rams auto in Vikarabad
GBA chief’s public meeting draws huge crowd; citizens welcome the initiative
CM launches Kochi Corporation’s third ro-ro vessel
TVK cadre, crane operator arrested for using crane to garland Vijay during Vellore visit
TAGGED:damage to waterbodyillegal sand miningviolation of rules
Share This Article
Facebook Email Print
Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Follow US

Find US on Social Medias
FacebookLike
XFollow
YoutubeSubscribe
TelegramFollow

Weekly Newsletter

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!
[mc4wp_form]
Popular News

Aland voter deletion: CEO says all data handed over to police

krutikadalvibiz
krutikadalvibiz
September 18, 2025
Ajit Pawar’s death CM Fadnavis Deputy CM Shinde other leaders express deep condolences; three-day State mourning announced
GBA Chief holds meeting over measures to decongest ORR
Petition seeks ban on biopic for ‘incorrect portrayal’ of Kamaraj
The abducted person was identified as Ashith Jha, 28, a native of Bihar and a resident of Tirupalya.
- Advertisement -
Ad imageAd image
Global Coronavirus Cases

Confirmed

0

Death

0

More Information:Covid-19 Statistics
© INDIA TIMES NOW 2026 . All Rights Reserved.
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?