By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
India Times NowIndia Times NowIndia Times Now
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
  • Bharat Shreshtha Ratna Sanman
  • India News
  • Categories
    • Technology
    • Entertainment
    • The Escapist
    • Insider
    • Finance ₹
    • India News
    • Science
    • Health
Reading: 139 Indians released from Russian military service, Centre tells Supreme Court
Share
India Times NowIndia Times Now
Font ResizerAa
  • Bharat Shreshtha Ratna Sanman
  • India News
  • Categories
Search
  • Bharat Shreshtha Ratna Sanman
  • India News
  • Categories
    • Technology
    • Entertainment
    • The Escapist
    • Insider
    • Finance ₹
    • India News
    • Science
    • Health
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US

Home » 139 Indians released from Russian military service, Centre tells Supreme Court

India News

139 Indians released from Russian military service, Centre tells Supreme Court

Times Desk
Last updated: May 22, 2026 1:49 pm
Times Desk
Published: May 22, 2026
Share
SHARE


Supreme Court of India in New Delhi.

Supreme Court of India in New Delhi.
| Photo Credit: File

The Union government informed the Supreme Court on Friday (May 22, 2026) that 217 Indian nationals had joined the Russian Armed Forces during the Ukraine conflict, of whom 139 have been released from their contractual agreements.

A Bench headed by Chief Justice of India Surya Kant was informed by Additional Solicitor General Aishwarya Bhati that 49 of the 217 Indians had lost their lives in the conflict, while six were confirmed missing.

Of the 26 Indians whose families had approached the Supreme Court, the Centre said 14 were dead, 11 missing, and one incarcerated for a criminal offence. The government also said the mortal remains of eight individuals had been returned to their families.

Counsel appearing for the families questioned the identification of the mortal remains, saying they were beyond recognition. The counsel also sought compensation for the families and action against agents who had allegedly “trafficked” the youths to Russia.

Ms. Bhati said the government was extending support for the collection of DNA samples from family members to help identify the remains.

The petitioners had sought a judicial direction to the government, through the Ministry of External Affairs, to take “immediate diplomatic and consular measures through the Embassy of India in the Russian Federation to ascertain the whereabouts, legal status and safety of the Indian nationals named in the petition”.

They had also sought directions to the government to identify and prosecute persons involved in illegal overseas recruitment, trafficking, and exploitation of Indian citizens.

The petition further urged the court to direct the government to ensure that the Indian Mission in the Russian Federation conducted “welfare verification visits of the detained Indian nationals; facilitated communication between the detainees and their families; and they receive appropriate medical care, humanitarian treatment and legal assistance, wherever required”.

Published – May 22, 2026 07:19 pm IST



Source link

Man allegedly assaulted for Good Samaritan act
At UNGA week, India signals realignment with the Global South
Take forward reforms, PM tells Ministers
Assam Police can’t go to Singapore to probe Zubeen Garg’s death: CM Himanta
Calcutta High Court to hear pleas against Great Nicobar project in June; overrules Centre’s objections
TAGGED:illegal recruitment to Russian militaryIndian nationals killed in Ukraine warIndians in Russian ArmySupreme Court Russia recruitment caseUkraine conflict Indian nationals
Share This Article
Facebook Email Print
Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Follow US

Find US on Social Medias
FacebookLike
XFollow
YoutubeSubscribe
TelegramFollow

Weekly Newsletter

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!
[mc4wp_form]
Popular News

SC develops ‘hierarchy of culpability’ to justify no bail to Umar Khalid and Sharjeel Imam, but bail to others in Delhi riots case

Times Desk
Times Desk
January 5, 2026
Why does Trump hold back on punishing Russia and Putin?
Sunny Deol, Bobby Deol remember Dharmendra on his 90th birth anniversary, pen heart-wrenching notes
CPR awareness week held – The Hindu
How has the BCCI resisted RTI scrutiny?
- Advertisement -
Ad imageAd image
Global Coronavirus Cases

Confirmed

0

Death

0

More Information:Covid-19 Statistics
© INDIA TIMES NOW 2026 . All Rights Reserved.
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?