By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
India Times NowIndia Times NowIndia Times Now
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
  • Bharat Shreshtha Ratna Sanman
  • India News
  • Categories
    • Technology
    • Entertainment
    • The Escapist
    • Insider
    • Finance ₹
    • India News
    • Science
    • Health
Reading: Supreme Court transfers R.G. Kar rape and murder case to Calcutta HC
Share
India Times NowIndia Times Now
Font ResizerAa
  • Bharat Shreshtha Ratna Sanman
  • India News
  • Categories
Search
  • Bharat Shreshtha Ratna Sanman
  • India News
  • Categories
    • Technology
    • Entertainment
    • The Escapist
    • Insider
    • Finance ₹
    • India News
    • Science
    • Health
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US

Home » Supreme Court transfers R.G. Kar rape and murder case to Calcutta HC

India News

Supreme Court transfers R.G. Kar rape and murder case to Calcutta HC

India Times Now Desk
Last updated: December 17, 2025 6:42 am
India Times Now Desk
Published: December 17, 2025
Share
SHARE


CISF personnel stand guard outside the trauma centre of R.G. Kar Medical College and Hospital, in Kolkata. File

CISF personnel stand guard outside the trauma centre of R.G. Kar Medical College and Hospital, in Kolkata. File
| Photo Credit: PTI

The Supreme Court on Wednesday (December 17, 2025) transferred the R.G. Kar Medical College trainee doctor rape and murder case to the Calcutta High Court, requesting the Chief Justice of the high court to constitute an appropriate Division Bench to hear the petitions.

The top court had taken suo motu cognisance of the case in 2024.

A Bench of justices M.M. Sundresh and Satish Chandra Sharma directed that the case papers be sent to the High Court,

The top court refused the transfer of the case to the Delhi HC on the plea of senior advocate Karuna Nundy, appearing for the doctors from West Bengal and the parents of the victim.

The SC also directed its Registry to give a copy of the CBI status report to the parents.

The body of the postgraduate trainee doctor was found in the Kolkata hospital’s seminar room on August 9 last year. The Kolkata Police arrested Sanjay Roy, a civic volunteer, the next day.

On January 20, a Kolkata trial court awarded convict Roy “life term imprisonment till death” in the case. The crime triggered nationwide outrage and prolonged protests in West Bengal.

The apex court, even after the primary conviction, is monitoring multiple ancillary issues, including regularising the unauthorised absence of doctors.

While taking suo motu notice of the case, the bench constituted a National Task Force (NTF) on August 20 last year to formulate a protocol to ensure the safety and security of medical professionals in the wake of the crime.

With PTI inputs

Published – December 17, 2025 12:12 pm IST



Source link

Bengaluru couple working as drug mules held with ₹18.6-crore worth hydro ganja
How Telangana’s July rainfall reduced deficit from 61% to near normal in 15 days
Conducting health camp and distributing kits is not labour welfare, says Union Minister Shobha Karandlaje
Corruption cases against Ministers, IAS officers must be dealt with in an expeditious manner: Madras High Court
Student escapes rape attempt in Whitefield; accused arrested within hours
TAGGED:Ca;cutta HC RG Kar caseR.G. Kar rape and murder caseR.G. Kar rape and murder case updatesSC transfers RG Kar case
Share This Article
Facebook Email Print
Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Follow US

Find US on Social Medias
FacebookLike
XFollow
YoutubeSubscribe
TelegramFollow

Weekly Newsletter

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!
[mc4wp_form]
Popular News

No space for Hindi then, now, or ever, says Stalin

India Times Now Desk
India Times Now Desk
January 25, 2026
With her dance moves, this conservancy worker from Chennai has become the new face of social media algorithm
In Bihar, a plate of woe
Admission restrictions for mLAC degree courses due to non-renewal of land lease
Take pledge to bring down TVK government: M.K. Stalin to DMK cadre
- Advertisement -
Ad imageAd image
Global Coronavirus Cases

Confirmed

0

Death

0

More Information:Covid-19 Statistics
© INDIA TIMES NOW 2026 . All Rights Reserved.
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?