By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
India Times NowIndia Times NowIndia Times Now
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
  • Bharat Shreshtha Ratna Sanman
  • India News
  • Categories
    • Technology
    • Entertainment
    • The Escapist
    • Insider
    • Finance ₹
    • India News
    • Science
    • Health
Reading: Bangladesh’s threats to cut NE off cannot be tolerated: Assam CM
Share
India Times NowIndia Times Now
Font ResizerAa
  • Bharat Shreshtha Ratna Sanman
  • India News
  • Categories
Search
  • Bharat Shreshtha Ratna Sanman
  • India News
  • Categories
    • Technology
    • Entertainment
    • The Escapist
    • Insider
    • Finance ₹
    • India News
    • Science
    • Health
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US

Home » Bangladesh’s threats to cut NE off cannot be tolerated: Assam CM

India News

Bangladesh’s threats to cut NE off cannot be tolerated: Assam CM

India Times Now Desk
Last updated: December 17, 2025 2:46 am
India Times Now Desk
Published: December 17, 2025
Share
SHARE


Assam Chief Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma.

Assam Chief Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma.
| Photo Credit: ANI

GUWAHATI

Assam Chief Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma, on Tuesday (December 16, 2025), said New Delhi would not remain silent for long if leaders in Bangladesh continue to threaten to cut off the northeastern region from India’s mainland.

He said repeated calls to take over the northeast after severing the region from India reflected a “bad mindset” in Bangladesh.

“There have been statements from Bangladesh for a year, calling for a merger of the northeast with that country. It is wrong for Bangladesh to even imagine this,” the Chief Minister told journalists.

Pointing out that India is a large country, a nuclear nation, and the world’s fourth largest economy, he said the people of Bangladesh have a bad mindset. “We should not help the country and let them know that we will not remain silent if such behaviour is directed at India,” he said.

The Chief Minister’s reaction came a day after Hasnat Abdullah, a leader of Bangladesh’s newly formed National Citizen Party, said India’s northeastern region, comprising eight States, should be isolated.

“I want to tell Bharat that if you keep sheltering those who do not believe in the sovereignty of our country and human rights, we will shelter the separatists of India and cut the northeast off,” he warned.

He accused India of funding and arming the patrons of the ousted Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina to rise against the current Bangladesh regime.

Mr. Abdullah is not the first to issue such a threat. Earlier this year, the Chief Adviser of the country’s interim government, Mohammed Yunus, said, “The seven States of India in its eastern part are a land-locked region. They have no way to reach out to the ocean. We are the only guardians of the ocean.”

Later, the threat from Bangladeshi leaders shifted to the “chicken’s neck”, a 22-35 km wide patch in West Bengal’s Siliguri connecting the northeast with the rest of India.

The Assam Chief Minister said Bangladesh should focus on its two “vulnerable” chicken’s necks before threatening India. The first of these runs 80 km through Bangladesh from Dakhin Dinajpur in West Bengal to South West Garo Hills in Meghalaya, and the second is the 28 km Chittagong Corridor from South Tripura till the Bay of Bengal.

Published – December 17, 2025 08:16 am IST



Source link

2nd edition of CM’s cup from January 17
Woman sub-inspector among three Bengaluru police personnel trapped by ACB in Jaipur in bribery case
India-Australia joint military exercise AUSTRAHIND begins in Perth
MHA suggests special provisions for Ladakh under Article 371 of Constitution
Subrata Gupta, ECI’s special observer for SIR, appointed West Bengal CM’s advisor
TAGGED:bangladesh on northeast indiaHasnat AbdullahHimanta Biswa Sarmaindia bangladesh ties
Share This Article
Facebook Email Print
Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Follow US

Find US on Social Medias
FacebookLike
XFollow
YoutubeSubscribe
TelegramFollow

Weekly Newsletter

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!
[mc4wp_form]
Popular News

A.P. Chief Minister advises Kavali MLA to improve performance of 13 departments

India Times Now Desk
India Times Now Desk
May 20, 2026
Deepika Padukone says Rs 500-Rs 600 crore films ‘don’t excite’ her, months after advocating 8-hour shifts
Vizag Collector felicitates Class 10 toppers from govt. schools
School dropout rate in Karnataka drops at primary level, but spikes at high school
Failure to change caste names of localities: T.N. Commission for Scheduled Castes seeks reports from election officials
- Advertisement -
Ad imageAd image
Global Coronavirus Cases

Confirmed

0

Death

0

More Information:Covid-19 Statistics
© INDIA TIMES NOW 2026 . All Rights Reserved.
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?