By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
India Times NowIndia Times NowIndia Times Now
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
  • Bharat Shreshtha Ratna Sanman
  • India News
  • Categories
    • Technology
    • Entertainment
    • The Escapist
    • Insider
    • Finance ₹
    • India News
    • Science
    • Health
Reading: Tension along Arunachal-Assam border eases after tribal body suspends ‘blockade’
Share
India Times NowIndia Times Now
Font ResizerAa
  • Bharat Shreshtha Ratna Sanman
  • India News
  • Categories
Search
  • Bharat Shreshtha Ratna Sanman
  • India News
  • Categories
    • Technology
    • Entertainment
    • The Escapist
    • Insider
    • Finance ₹
    • India News
    • Science
    • Health
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US

Home » Tension along Arunachal-Assam border eases after tribal body suspends ‘blockade’

India News

Tension along Arunachal-Assam border eases after tribal body suspends ‘blockade’

India Times Now Desk
Last updated: August 13, 2026 5:08 pm
India Times Now Desk
Published: August 13, 2026
Share
SHARE


Protesters in Assam block a road leading to Arunachal Pradesh’s Banderdewa on August 13, 2026.

Protesters in Assam block a road leading to Arunachal Pradesh’s Banderdewa on August 13, 2026.
| Photo Credit: Special Arrangement

Tension along the Assam-Arunachal Pradesh border eased on Thursday night (August 13, 2026) after Takam Mising Porin Kebang (TMPK), the apex student body of Assam’s Mising community, suspended the “economic blockade” of Arunachal Pradesh. However, it gave a 48-hour ultimatum to arrest four Arunachal Pradesh-based persons accused in the August 10 firing incident that took place over a land dispute.

On Wednesday (August 12, 2026), TMPK and other groups had launched the blockade in protest against the firing in which 11 persons from Assam were injured in the Mingmang Bodoti area of northeastern Assam’s Dhemaji district.

After talks with the Assam government and civil society groups of Arunachal Pradesh, the TMPK said: “Following these discussions, assurances were given regarding immediate action on the core demands raised by TMPK. In view of these assurances and in consideration of the difficulties being faced by the common people, TMPK has decided to temporarily suspend the blockade.”

Earlier in the day, officials in Dhemaji said police restored order by firing blank shots after a scuffle between people from both States followed an incident of stone-pelting. The violence was reported from an area adjoining Likabali in Arunachal Pradesh.

Officials of both the States had expected tension along the border to ease after Assam Chief Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma and his Arunachal Pradesh counterpart Pema Khandu appealed for calm and promised action against those responsible for the firing.

Following the renewed unrest, the Assam government rushed Ministers Atul Bora and Ranoj Pegu to Dhemaji. They held a meeting with the TMPK leaders and several other organisations.

TMPK president Tilak Doley said the meeting was positive. “They accepted our demands and said these would be fulfilled through dialogue. One of our demands is that the four persons from Arunachal Pradesh named in the FIR must be arrested within 48 hours,” he said.

Mr. Pegu told the TMPK leaders that Assam police have requested their Arunachal Pradesh counterparts to hand over the four persons accused of firing. “The Assam government has taken up the matter at the highest level with the Arunachal Pradesh government and is committed to ensuring justice for the affected villagers,” he said.

The Minister said that Assam’s border regional committees would soon resume discussions with their counterparts in Arunachal Pradesh towards an amicable and lasting solution to the border dispute.

The two Ministers held another meeting with a delegation of the All Assam Students’ Union to discuss the situation. “I sought their cooperation in maintaining peace, harmony, and mutual respect along the inter-State border and in ensuring that the cordial relations between the people of Assam and Arunachal Pradesh remain undisturbed,” Mr. Bora said.

On Wednesday (August 12, 2026), Mr. Sarma had said the Assam-Arunachal Pradesh border dispute had been resolved in 71 of the 123 villages in 12 sectors. “The problem now needs to be resolved in five areas covering 52 villages,” he had said.

Published – August 13, 2026 12:47 pm IST



Source link

‘Oppose move to adopt Prevention of Insults to National Honour Bill’
Election Commission of India to visit Bihar next week to assess poll preparedness
Telangana SSC results 2026 on four websites, MeeSeva WhatsApp number
Indian cricketers not shaking hands with Pakistani counterparts is ‘dadagiri’ by BJP, alleges Raut
Iran Israel US War: India favours peace, return to dialogue, diplomacy, says EAM Jaishankar
TAGGED:Assam-Arunachal borderAssam-Arunachal border clashesclashes at Assam-Arunachal border
Share This Article
Facebook Email Print
Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Follow US

Find US on Social Medias
FacebookLike
XFollow
YoutubeSubscribe
TelegramFollow

Weekly Newsletter

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!
[mc4wp_form]
Popular News

Protesters at Jantar Mantar find relief at free clinics set up by doctors

India Times Now Desk
India Times Now Desk
July 22, 2026
How undercover agents and informants helped the FBI unravel Lawrence Bishnoi’s gang | Explained
New academy for Havyaka, funds for publishing works of Kannada poets
Realtor’s disappearance: probe sought against cops involved in initial investigation
Mark Zuckerberg unveils $799 Meta Ray-Ban Display glasses
- Advertisement -
Ad imageAd image
Global Coronavirus Cases

Confirmed

0

Death

0

More Information:Covid-19 Statistics
© INDIA TIMES NOW 2026 . All Rights Reserved.
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?