By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
India Times NowIndia Times NowIndia Times Now
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
  • Bharat Shreshtha Ratna Sanman
  • India News
  • Categories
    • Technology
    • Entertainment
    • The Escapist
    • Insider
    • Finance ₹
    • India News
    • Science
    • Health
Reading: Student protests: Delhi Police affidavit in Supreme Court is rich with numbers, but quiet on fixing accountability
Share
India Times NowIndia Times Now
Font ResizerAa
  • Bharat Shreshtha Ratna Sanman
  • India News
  • Categories
Search
  • Bharat Shreshtha Ratna Sanman
  • India News
  • Categories
    • Technology
    • Entertainment
    • The Escapist
    • Insider
    • Finance ₹
    • India News
    • Science
    • Health
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US

Home » Student protests: Delhi Police affidavit in Supreme Court is rich with numbers, but quiet on fixing accountability

India News

Student protests: Delhi Police affidavit in Supreme Court is rich with numbers, but quiet on fixing accountability

India Times Now Desk
Last updated: August 18, 2026 7:03 pm
India Times Now Desk
Published: August 18, 2026
Share
SHARE


The 42-page Delhi Police affidavit filed in the Supreme Court near midnight on August 17, 2026, is rich in statistics, detailing the number of barricades used to regulate the NEET-UG protestors’ movement to the strength of women police officers deployed.

But the affidavit is quiet about what the police hierarchy has done so far to inquire into and fix accountability for officers who allegedly misbehaved with women students and protestors.

The Supreme Court has assured the petitioners’ counsel, senior advocates Gopal Sankaranarayanan and Shadan Farasat, that it would have the proposed high-powered committee look into allegations of plainclothes police personnel sexually molesting women protestors. Legal action would follow based on the committee’s report, Chief Justice Surya Kant, heading the Bench, said on Tuesday (August 18, 2026).

The affidavit said over 3,600 barricades were used to protect vulnerable locations and highly sensitive areas. A total of over 4,600 women police personnel were deployed during the entire protest period. A facial recognition system spotted 2,873 faces which matched those in police databases.

The affidavit even details the number of motor vehicles stolen between July 20 and July 26, 2026, as seven.

Other thefts numbered 66, and 123 lost reports were lodged, the Delhi Police said, “showcasing that the protest was infiltrated by miscreants, criminals and anti-social elements”.

However, the Delhi Police affidavit is not forthcoming on the “use of force by the police officials” on protestors. It said the court may appoint a high-powered committee to examine all issues related to this aspect.

“The deponent [police] is advised not to deal with the allegations against police officials and reiterate that the use of force was made in a graded manner,” the affidavit maintained.

It said over 240 police personnel, including women officers, were injured in the violence on July 20. Around 218 protestors were injured and received treatment.

The background to the protests and consequent police action on July 20 was of “considerable significance”, the police said. The protests at Jantar Mantar were “potentially sui generis” or one of a kind.

The series of events began on June 6, 2026, when some individuals began an agitation. Saurav Das, a member of the Cockroach Janta Party, sought permission from the Delhi Police on June 17 to organise a peaceful demonstration on June 20 with an expected gathering of 500-600 people. Permission was granted as a “one-time exception”. However, the protestors did not vacate the area after the scheduled time on June 20. Rather, a large number of students, political workers and leaders, activists and others came and addressed the gathering to continue and expand the agitation. The police said the protestors’ strength had increased from a “few dozen” of the initial days of the agitation.

Events took an unprecedented turn, the police said, with the commencement of the monsoon session of Parliament. Permission was neither sought nor granted for any ‘Sansad Chalo’ march on July 20.

Editorial | Force of law: On the Delhi police

The march took an aggressive turn when a section of the protestors attempted to breach police barricades to advance to the Parliament. The police had to prevent the protestors from causing any damage to vital installations, including the Parliament, Rashtrapati Bhavan, Seva Teerth, Kartavya Bhavan, Central government offices, and residences of Union Ministers, the armed forces, and the judiciary located in the high security zone around Parliament, the affidavit said.

Videos on social media show police personnel thrashed, women police officers manhandled, and government vehicles burnt, creating a grave law and order as well as security situation, the affidavit said.

The police said that, at one point on July 20, there were over 30,000 protestors faced by only 5,000 uniformed police officers. Police personnel were attacked without any provocation “almost in a mob lynching fashion”, the affidavit said.

Published – August 19, 2026 12:32 am IST



Source link

Row erupts over allegations that Suresh Gopi voted in Thrissur and Thiruvananthapuram
GHMC reviews air quality measures in city NCAP meeting
Palaniswami slams TVK government for failing to safeguard ‘permanent solution’ to Cauvery dispute
MP Kesineni Sivanath assures support for development of Nemali Venu Gopala Swamy Temple
Cyberabad Police arrest habitual offender in Ameenpur, recover stolen jewellery and cash
TAGGED:Delhi police brutality NEET protestDelhi police misconductDelhi police supreme court caseNeet proteststudent protests
Share This Article
Facebook Email Print
Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Follow US

Find US on Social Medias
FacebookLike
XFollow
YoutubeSubscribe
TelegramFollow

Weekly Newsletter

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!
[mc4wp_form]
Popular News

Kerala Assembly: Minister says Transport dept mulls pre-licence training in schools for Plus Two students

India Times Now Desk
India Times Now Desk
June 30, 2026
Watch | Proper investigation on the issue must take place: Ladakh MP Haji Mohmad
Unable to find space for poll office owing to threats, alleges Kunhikrishnan
Why aren’t BJP leaders taking to streets with cylinders in protest now: Congress’ dig on LPG price hike
Fruits, vegetables adorn Srisailam temple to mark ‘Shakambari Utsavam’ celebrations
- Advertisement -
Ad imageAd image
Global Coronavirus Cases

Confirmed

0

Death

0

More Information:Covid-19 Statistics
© INDIA TIMES NOW 2026 . All Rights Reserved.
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?