By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
India Times NowIndia Times NowIndia Times Now
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
  • Bharat Shreshtha Ratna Sanman
  • India News
  • Categories
    • Technology
    • Entertainment
    • The Escapist
    • Insider
    • Finance ₹
    • India News
    • Science
    • Health
Reading: Residents protest for new subway on Chennai-Bengaluru Highway in Ambur
Share
India Times NowIndia Times Now
Font ResizerAa
  • Bharat Shreshtha Ratna Sanman
  • India News
  • Categories
Search
  • Bharat Shreshtha Ratna Sanman
  • India News
  • Categories
    • Technology
    • Entertainment
    • The Escapist
    • Insider
    • Finance ₹
    • India News
    • Science
    • Health
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US

Home » Residents protest for new subway on Chennai-Bengaluru Highway in Ambur

India News

Residents protest for new subway on Chennai-Bengaluru Highway in Ambur

Times Desk
Last updated: January 4, 2026 4:23 pm
Times Desk
Published: January 4, 2026
Share
SHARE


Residents staging a protest at Sandrorkuppam village in Ambur town on Sunday.

Residents staging a protest at Sandrorkuppam village in Ambur town on Sunday.
| Photo Credit: Special arrangement

Residents, including women, farmers, and traders, staged a protest for the construction of a new subway on Chennai-Bengaluru Highway (NH 48), which is maintained by the National Highways Authority of India (NHAI), at Sandrorkuppam village in Ambur town in Tirupattur on Sunday.

Residents said the village, which had around 3,000 houses, formed a part of 31, 33, and 34 wards of Ambur municipality. Apart from residential colonies, the village also had over 1,200 acres of agricultural land, where paddy was cultivated at least two seasons in a year.

“We have been demanding a vehicular subway to curb accidents on the narrow service lane,” said S. Gopinathan, a resident. Municipal officials said residents decided to protest for a new subway as the NHAI planned to close the narrow crossing on the service lane to prevent accidents. As per police reports, accidents occurred at that crossing, especially during night, as motorists failed to notice the vehicles and pedestrians coming from the village.

Municipal officials said the road crossing had been in use since it was a narrow single-lane road many years ago. The crossing is used by people including farmers, students, and traders. “We have asked the NHAI to construct the subway at Sandrorkuppam village to make the crossing safe for residents,” A. Muthusamy, Commissioner, Ambur Municipality, told The Hindu.

Residents said apart from Sandrorkuppam village, tribal hamlets near Ambur would be affected by the closure of the road crossing. Currently, there is a vehicular subway at Solur, the nearest village that has a safe crossing. Solur is about 2 km from Sandrorkuppam.

NHAI officials said efforts would be taken to build a new underpass near the village to provide safe passage for both motorists and pedestrians.

Published – January 04, 2026 09:53 pm IST



Source link

Elevated road corridor in Patigadda to affect 1892 palace complex
Nara Lokesh calls for ‘digital trade corridor’ between A.P. and Singapore
Tamil Nadu launches its first Dark Sky Park in Kolli Hills for stargazing
Karnataka High Court imposes ₹50,000 costs on Wipro for ‘abusing process of law’ and denying legitimate payment to ex-employee
IOB to get ₹835.08 crore I-T refund
TAGGED:AmburChennai-Bengaluru Highwaynewprotestresidentssubway
Share This Article
Facebook Email Print
Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Follow US

Find US on Social Medias
FacebookLike
XFollow
YoutubeSubscribe
TelegramFollow

Weekly Newsletter

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!
[mc4wp_form]
Popular News
EntertainmentMovieMusic

Dhurandhar Part 2 Day 7 box office: Ranveer Singh’s film remains unstoppable at the ticket window

Times Desk
Times Desk
March 25, 2026
Chennithala announces aid for projects in Chavakkad
Supreme Court refuses to quash FIR against folk singer for posts on PM
New Bharosa Centre inaugurated at Shamshabad to serve 17 police station limits
Annatto seed growers pitch for government support
- Advertisement -
Ad imageAd image
Global Coronavirus Cases

Confirmed

0

Death

0

More Information:Covid-19 Statistics
© INDIA TIMES NOW 2026 . All Rights Reserved.
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?