By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
India Times NowIndia Times NowIndia Times Now
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
  • Bharat Shreshtha Ratna Sanman
  • India News
  • Categories
    • Technology
    • Entertainment
    • The Escapist
    • Insider
    • Finance ₹
    • India News
    • Science
    • Health
Reading: Political battle lines drawn ahead of long-delayed Bengaluru civic polls
Share
India Times NowIndia Times Now
Font ResizerAa
  • Bharat Shreshtha Ratna Sanman
  • India News
  • Categories
Search
  • Bharat Shreshtha Ratna Sanman
  • India News
  • Categories
    • Technology
    • Entertainment
    • The Escapist
    • Insider
    • Finance ₹
    • India News
    • Science
    • Health
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US

Home » Political battle lines drawn ahead of long-delayed Bengaluru civic polls

India News

Political battle lines drawn ahead of long-delayed Bengaluru civic polls

Times Desk
Last updated: January 12, 2026 6:14 pm
Times Desk
Published: January 12, 2026
Share
SHARE


Contents
  • ‘Good news, at last’
  • ‘Will teach lesson’

Bengaluru will finally witness civic body elections after a five-year gap, as the Supreme Court on Monday directed the State government to conduct the polls by June 30. Political parties had already begun preparing in anticipation of the ruling.

The Congress is well ahead, having called for applications in December, while the BJP and JD(S) are still in the preparatory stage.

‘Good news, at last’

Abdul Wajid, former corporator and petitioner in the Supreme Court case, told The Hindu that local leaders were pleased with the judgement.

“After five years and four months, we finally have good news, and it feels great. Our local pool of leaders is very enthusiastic and is preparing well through a series of meetings and planning sessions,” Mr. Wajid said. He is currently the president overseeing the Congress’ preparations for the civic polls in 72 wards of north Bengaluru.

“We have already received 1,100 applications (for all 369 wards) for the polls and are reviewing them,” Mr. Wajid told The Hindu.

Ramalinga Reddy, Minister for Transport and MLA for BTM Layout, said the Congress held its first official meeting in south Bengaluru on Monday to plan the way forward.

“We are preparing a manifesto and a list of our achievements, which will be released once the reservation process is completed and candidates are announced. Our response to the BJP will be the work we have done over the last few years and the development projects we have planned,” Mr. Reddy told The Hindu.

‘Will teach lesson’

R. Ashok, Leader of the Opposition in the Legislative Assembly and MLA for Padmanabhanagar, said the Congress is guaranteed to be defeated in the GBA election.

“The people of Bengaluru are waiting to teach a fitting lesson to the Congress, which has tarnished Bengaluru by turning our city from a global city into a garbage city, a pothole city, and a city of goons,” he said. “The BJP is fully prepared for the GBA election, and we are confident that Bengaluru’s voters will bless the BJP with overwhelming support,” he added.

Published – January 12, 2026 11:44 pm IST



Source link

Woman attacks daughter , attempts to end life
Another Congress office vandalised in Kerala’s Kannur
Dharwad Jamboo Savari drawing more and more crowds year after year
Sabarimala gold theft: Kerala HC grants SIT six more weeks to complete probe
Lorry driver alleges unfair dismissal after employer learned of his HIV diagnosis; company denies claim
TAGGED:BengaluruGBA pollskarnatakaPolitical battle lines drawn ahead of long-delayed Bengaluru civic polls
Share This Article
Facebook Email Print
Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Follow US

Find US on Social Medias
FacebookLike
XFollow
YoutubeSubscribe
TelegramFollow

Weekly Newsletter

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!
[mc4wp_form]
Popular News
FashionLifestyleTravelVacation

Skipping meals due to workload? You might be trading nutrition for exhaustion

Times Desk
Times Desk
November 3, 2025
Kashmir’s college changes auditorium name from ‘Lalla Arifa’ to ‘Lal Ded’ after protests by Pandits
Man held on charge of sexual assault
Kerala State Film Awards set to be announced; Prakash Raj heads jury as 128 films vie for top honours
Kerala Police launch ‘Nirbhaya Nisha’ to ensure safe night travel for women
- Advertisement -
Ad imageAd image
Global Coronavirus Cases

Confirmed

0

Death

0

More Information:Covid-19 Statistics
© INDIA TIMES NOW 2026 . All Rights Reserved.
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?