By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
India Times NowIndia Times NowIndia Times Now
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
  • Bharat Shreshtha Ratna Sanman
  • India News
  • Categories
    • Technology
    • Entertainment
    • The Escapist
    • Insider
    • Finance ₹
    • India News
    • Science
    • Health
Reading: NHAI to rope in new contractor to resume work on ₹22-crore vehicular underpass near Arcot town
Share
India Times NowIndia Times Now
Font ResizerAa
  • Bharat Shreshtha Ratna Sanman
  • India News
  • Categories
Search
  • Bharat Shreshtha Ratna Sanman
  • India News
  • Categories
    • Technology
    • Entertainment
    • The Escapist
    • Insider
    • Finance ₹
    • India News
    • Science
    • Health
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US

Home » NHAI to rope in new contractor to resume work on ₹22-crore vehicular underpass near Arcot town

India News

NHAI to rope in new contractor to resume work on ₹22-crore vehicular underpass near Arcot town

Times Desk
Last updated: January 1, 2026 4:15 pm
Times Desk
Published: January 1, 2026
Share
SHARE


A senior police official says the traffic on the service lane turns chaotic during rush hour and on weekends due to the completion of the underpass in Puttuthakku village near Arcot town being delayed.

A senior police official says the traffic on the service lane turns chaotic during rush hour and on weekends due to the completion of the underpass in Puttuthakku village near Arcot town being delayed.
| Photo Credit: Special arrangement

The National Highways Authority of India (NHAI) plans to rope in a contractor to resume ₹22-crore vehicular underpass being built on Chennai-Bengaluru Highway (NH48) in Puttuthakku village near Arcot town in Ranipet district.

This comes after the multi-crore project was abandoned by an earlier contractor due to lack of funds. Due to this, the police had allowed traffic on the incomplete elevated corridor above the underpass to decongest the narrow service lane leading to Vellore Town. “Due to delay, traffic on the service lane turned chaotic during rush hour and on weekends. The NHAI should complete the underpass at the soonest,” a senior police officer told The Hindu.

Motorists said the dust from the incomplete elevated corridor affected visibility and put them at risk, especially during night-time. As the blockade preventing entry into the incomplete underpass was removed, motorists suddenly enter the service lane from the incomplete underpass. “Vehicles should be barred from entering the underpass until the work is completed,” said K. Manjunath, a motorist.

NHAI officials said the previous private contractor had abandoned the work due to financial reasons. As a result, work was stalled for the past few months. Northeast monsoon rain also damaged the service lane, putting motorists to risk.

The officials said over 90% of the underpass had been completed. The remaining work included laying the bitumen layer on the carriageway of the elevated corridor and installation of safety features such as blinkers, reflectors, and signage. Once the new contractor is tasked with the job, the underpass and its elevated portions will be completed in a month, they added.

As per plan, the new underpass will accommodate two-wheelers, cars, and buses. Such an arrangement will help reduce the total number of the existing U-turn spots on the stretch to prevent accidents.

The stretch has a few government schools, primary healthcare centres, and car service centres. The new campus of the Christian Medical College (CMC) is also located near the spot the underpass is being built. Every day, the hospital gets nearly one lakh visitors on an average, including those from its main campus in Vellore. At present, people have to walk at least 500 metres to the nearest pedestrian crossing at Puttuthakku junction.

Published – January 01, 2026 09:45 pm IST



Source link

KPCC chief seeks apology from CPI(M), Veena George over ‘false propaganda’ and attacks on Congress offices
ICMR NITM gets excellence award
Around 100 school vehicles tested unfit in Vellore, nearby districts
SC says menstrual health a fundamental right, mandates free sanitary pads
BDA calls tender for Peripheral Ring Road-1 project
TAGGED:Arcot townnew contractorNHAIPuttuthakku villageresumevehicular underpass₹22 crore
Share This Article
Facebook Email Print
Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Follow US

Find US on Social Medias
FacebookLike
XFollow
YoutubeSubscribe
TelegramFollow

Weekly Newsletter

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!
[mc4wp_form]
Popular News

Second KFD testing laboratory to come up in Sirsi soon: Dinesh Gundu Rao

Times Desk
Times Desk
December 24, 2025
Heavy security, elaborate traffic curbs in place for Kerala Cabinet swearing-in
Rajasthan to host nationwide roadshows ahead of agritech meet
30 banks integrated with UDGAM portal to help legal heirs trace funds, RBI tells SC
Main Street confidence in Trump economy is up, even among Democrats
- Advertisement -
Ad imageAd image
Global Coronavirus Cases

Confirmed

0

Death

0

More Information:Covid-19 Statistics
© INDIA TIMES NOW 2026 . All Rights Reserved.
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?