By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
India Times NowIndia Times NowIndia Times Now
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
  • Bharat Shreshtha Ratna Sanman
  • India News
  • Categories
    • Technology
    • Entertainment
    • The Escapist
    • Insider
    • Finance ₹
    • India News
    • Science
    • Health
Reading: Nashik court extends ‘godman’ Ashok Kharat’s police custody till April 1
Share
India Times NowIndia Times Now
Font ResizerAa
  • Bharat Shreshtha Ratna Sanman
  • India News
  • Categories
Search
  • Bharat Shreshtha Ratna Sanman
  • India News
  • Categories
    • Technology
    • Entertainment
    • The Escapist
    • Insider
    • Finance ₹
    • India News
    • Science
    • Health
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US

Home » Nashik court extends ‘godman’ Ashok Kharat’s police custody till April 1

India News

Nashik court extends ‘godman’ Ashok Kharat’s police custody till April 1

India Times Now Desk
Last updated: March 29, 2026 9:23 am
India Times Now Desk
Published: March 29, 2026
Share
SHARE


Image used for representation.

Image used for representation.
| Photo Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto

A court in Nashik on Sunday (March 29, 2026) extended the police custody of self-styled godman Ashok Kharat, arrested in a rape case, till April 1.

Kharat, who headed a temple trust at Mirgaon in Nashik district and whom several prominent Maharashtra politicians visited over the years, was arrested on March 18 after a woman accused him of raping her repeatedly over three years.

Ten FIRs, eight for alleged sexual assault or exploitation and two for cheating, have so far been registered against him at Sarkarwada police station in the city.

The Special Investigation Team (SIT), which is conducting a probe against him, has received more than 100 complaints, most of them from women, over the phone in the last few days, police said on Saturday.

Kharat was produced before the court on Sunday after the end of his previous police custody. The court asked Kharat whether he had any complaints, to which he replied negatively.

During the hearing, public prosecutor Shailendra Bagde said the investigation in the case was still on and the accused was not cooperating.

The inquiry into the properties of the accused is still to be done. Many women are still coming forward to lodge complaints and the inquiry is yet to be done into the so-called “water” or liquid that Kharat used to give the victims to seduce them before sexually exploiting them, he said.

The mobile phone data of the accused has been scanned, and a clone report has been received. An inquiry is to be conducted into whether he saved the names of his contacts — especially political leaders — with dummy identities, and much digital evidences are yet to be checked, the prosecutor told the court.

The case is big and others will have to be brought before the accused for the inquiry. Investigators also have yet to determine whether any accomplices were involved in the crime. For all this, Kharat’s three day-custody is needed, he said.

The SIT submitted Kharat’s laptops, mobile phone and some documents before the court.

SIT officer Kirankumar Suryavanshi also informed the court about the investigation done so far and demanded extension of Kharat’s police custody.

Defence lawyer Sachin Bhate, however, said the SIT was giving the same reasons that had been cited for police custody during the earlier hearing.

What has the SIT done in the investigation to date? he asked, claiming that the probe has been completed and there is no reason to extend the police custody.

On the other side, lawyer M.Y. Kale, representing a victim, supported the prosecutor’s demand for extension of Kharat’s police custody.

The accused has not cooperated and the investigating agency cannot be held responsible for it, he said.

“These allegations and crimes are very heinous and anti-social. They have the potential to devastate families and impact society at large. Therefore, considering the intricacy of the allegations, the demand for the police custody should be considered,” Kale said in his argument.

After hearing the arguments, Additional Chief Judicial Magistrate (14th) MV Bharade extended Kharat’s police custody till April 1.

Published – March 29, 2026 02:53 pm IST



Source link

Tourists raise safety concerns over rising ‘anti-social activities’ on Kuttiyadi pass
T.N. CM Stalin inaugurates memorial for freedom fighter Maaveeran Pollan in Erode district
Secure release of boats from A.P., say fishermen
More than 300 Indians evacuated from flood-hit Sri Lanka, IAF provides assistance in rescue and relief operations
PM Modi to address first political rally in Bengal after draft roll release amid SIR concerns of Matuas
TAGGED:Ashok KharatAshok Kharat custodyAshok Kharat rape case latestNashik court extends police custody of godman Ashok Kharat
Share This Article
Facebook Email Print
Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Follow US

Find US on Social Medias
FacebookLike
XFollow
YoutubeSubscribe
TelegramFollow

Weekly Newsletter

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!
[mc4wp_form]
Popular News

7-year-old boy dies after getting trapped inside parked car near Madurai

India Times Now Desk
India Times Now Desk
November 16, 2025
Watch: Delhi police to protesters: All metro gates reopened, please return home
Jeremy Larner, Oscar-winning screenwriter, dies at 88; was suffering from lymphoma and Parkinson’s disease
Government releases 33 FAQs for first phase of Census
How every ₹100 is spent by Indian households
- Advertisement -
Ad imageAd image
Global Coronavirus Cases

Confirmed

0

Death

0

More Information:Covid-19 Statistics
© INDIA TIMES NOW 2026 . All Rights Reserved.
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?