By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
India Times NowIndia Times NowIndia Times Now
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
  • Bharat Shreshtha Ratna Sanman
  • India News
  • Categories
    • Technology
    • Entertainment
    • The Escapist
    • Insider
    • Finance ₹
    • India News
    • Science
    • Health
Reading: Meghalaya orders judicial inquiry into illegal coal mine blast that claimed 27 lives
Share
India Times NowIndia Times Now
Font ResizerAa
  • Bharat Shreshtha Ratna Sanman
  • India News
  • Categories
Search
  • Bharat Shreshtha Ratna Sanman
  • India News
  • Categories
    • Technology
    • Entertainment
    • The Escapist
    • Insider
    • Finance ₹
    • India News
    • Science
    • Health
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US

Home » Meghalaya orders judicial inquiry into illegal coal mine blast that claimed 27 lives

India News

Meghalaya orders judicial inquiry into illegal coal mine blast that claimed 27 lives

Times Desk
Last updated: February 9, 2026 7:08 am
Times Desk
Published: February 9, 2026
Share
SHARE


Rat-hole mining in Meghalaya was prohibited by the National Green Tribunal in 2014 due to environmental concerns.

Rat-hole mining in Meghalaya was prohibited by the National Green Tribunal in 2014 due to environmental concerns.
| Photo Credit: PTI

Meghalaya Chief Minister Conrad K. Sangma on Monday (February 9, 2026) announced a judicial inquiry into the blast at the illegal coal mine in East Jaintia Hills district that claimed the lives of 27 people.

The explosion happened last week at the illegal mine in the remote Thangsku area in Mynsngat village.

“The Government has decided to constitute a Judicial Inquiry Commission under the Commission of Inquiry Act to investigate the recent tragic mining incident in Mynsngat – Thangsko area in East Jaintia Hills,” Mr. Sangma said in a post on X.

The blast had triggered a massive search and rescue operation, involving the State Disaster Response Force (SDRF), police, district administration and local volunteers. The operation continued for days before all the bodies were recovered.

A senior officer of the Home Department said the judicial inquiry would examine the circumstances leading to the incident, fix responsibility and recommend measures to prevent such tragedies in future.

Rat-hole mining in Meghalaya was prohibited by the National Green Tribunal in 2014 due to environmental concerns. Despite the ban, instances of illegal coal extraction continue to be reported from various districts.

Published – February 09, 2026 11:49 am IST



Source link

Naidu’s ambitious flying cars/drone taxis goal gets positive response
Implement Indian Knowledge System, NEP 2020 earnestly: Maharashtra Governor Acharya Devvrat tells varsities
Lies, half-truths: Congress slams BJP criticism of Nehru over Somnath temple issue
T.T.V. Dhinakaran’s AMMK returns to NDA in Tamil Nadu ahead of Assembly elections
CCB busts drug rackets, narcotics worth ₹5.5 crore seized
TAGGED:Conrad SangmaMeghalaya coal mine blastMeghalaya coal mine blast casualtyMeghalaya coal mine death tollmeghalaya coal miningmeghalaya illegal coal mining
Share This Article
Facebook Email Print
Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Follow US

Find US on Social Medias
FacebookLike
XFollow
YoutubeSubscribe
TelegramFollow

Weekly Newsletter

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!
[mc4wp_form]
Popular News
EntertainmentMovieMusic

Spider Man Brand New Day Trailer Out: Tom Holland’s Peter Parker faces mutating DNA, reunites with Punisher and Hulk

Times Desk
Times Desk
March 18, 2026
Fathima Shehza from Malappuram tops CA
Stranded North Andhra people safe in Nepal
Bengaluru engineer finds mention in PM Modi’s ‘Mann ki baat’ for lake rejuvenation
Govt. targets to procure 23 lakh MT of Rabi paddy from April 4 in Andhra Pradesh
- Advertisement -
Ad imageAd image
Global Coronavirus Cases

Confirmed

0

Death

0

More Information:Covid-19 Statistics
© INDIA TIMES NOW 2026 . All Rights Reserved.
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?