By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
India Times NowIndia Times NowIndia Times Now
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
  • Bharat Shreshtha Ratna Sanman
  • India News
  • Categories
    • Technology
    • Entertainment
    • The Escapist
    • Insider
    • Finance ₹
    • India News
    • Science
    • Health
Reading: London High Court rejects Nirav Modi’s “reopen” petition against extradition
Share
India Times NowIndia Times Now
Font ResizerAa
  • Bharat Shreshtha Ratna Sanman
  • India News
  • Categories
Search
  • Bharat Shreshtha Ratna Sanman
  • India News
  • Categories
    • Technology
    • Entertainment
    • The Escapist
    • Insider
    • Finance ₹
    • India News
    • Science
    • Health
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US

Home » London High Court rejects Nirav Modi’s “reopen” petition against extradition

India News

London High Court rejects Nirav Modi’s “reopen” petition against extradition

India Times Now Desk
Last updated: March 25, 2026 8:11 pm
India Times Now Desk
Published: March 25, 2026
Share
SHARE


Nirav Modi.

Nirav Modi.
| Photo Credit: ANI

The London High Court has rejected the petition of diamond merchant Nirav Modi to reopen proceedings against his extradition order, in connection with the Punjab National Bank (PNB) fraud case, according to the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI).

“Nirav Modi’s petition to reopen proceedings against his extradition order by U.K. courts was rejected today by the High Court of Justice, King’s Bench Division, London,” said the agency.

“The matter was strongly argued by the Crown Prosecution Service advocate, ably assisted by a dedicated CBI team, including investigating officers who travelled to London for the hearing. The reopening application had been filed on the basis of the Bhandari judgment,” it said.

The High Court, while handing down the judgment, observed that the reopen petition and the circumstances surrounding it are not exceptional so as to make it appropriate to re-open it.

The CBI has been seeking the extradition of Mr. Modi, with proceedings ongoing since 2018. Following his arrest in the U.K. in 2019, courts approved his extradition and rejected earlier appeals, finding no legal barriers and accepting assurances regarding his treatment in India.

“Although a temporary legal obstacle delayed the process, it was lifted in August 2025. Nirav Modi had applied to reopen his appeal citing concerns about potential ill-treatment (basis Bhandari judgment) and questioning whether assurances provided by Indian authorities were sufficient to protect his rights. He has been in a U.K. prison since March 19, 2019,” the CBI said.

Mr. Modi is a fugitive economic offender wanted for trial in India in the ₹6,498.20-crore bank fraud case.

“The Crown Prosecution Service was effectively supported by a dedicated CBI team, which prepared the responses in the proceedings and travelled to London specifically for the hearing. The positive outcome highlights the consistent efforts and strong commitment of the Government of India in achieving this success,” it added.

Published – March 26, 2026 01:41 am IST



Source link

Kochi sewerage treatment project gathers pace
Tinkering laboratory at school campus in Ranipet inaugurated
The Sattankulam custodial torture deaths of a father and son in Tamil Nadu | Explained
India’s first green methanol plant to turn Kutch’s most invasive weed into marine fuel
Migrant worker from Bihar dies in furnace explosion at Gummidipoondi copper recycling unit
TAGGED:London High CourtNirav ModiNirav Modi extradition
Share This Article
Facebook Email Print
Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Follow US

Find US on Social Medias
FacebookLike
XFollow
YoutubeSubscribe
TelegramFollow

Weekly Newsletter

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!
[mc4wp_form]
Popular News

Mani Shankar Aiyar says remarks on Kerala CM ‘blown out of proportion’

India Times Now Desk
India Times Now Desk
February 16, 2026
Raghav Juyal announces new project Bhai Tera Star Hai, Niharika NM says ‘My star boy’ | Entertainment
IMD issues ‘cyclone alert’ in Andaman & Nicobar Islands
Ahmedabad Air India crash: Supreme Court seeks response of Centre, DGCA on PIL seeking independent probe
What is Seva Teerth? Everything You Need to Know About the New PMO Building
- Advertisement -
Ad imageAd image
Global Coronavirus Cases

Confirmed

0

Death

0

More Information:Covid-19 Statistics
© INDIA TIMES NOW 2026 . All Rights Reserved.
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?