By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
India Times NowIndia Times NowIndia Times Now
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
  • Bharat Shreshtha Ratna Sanman
  • India News
  • Categories
    • Technology
    • Entertainment
    • The Escapist
    • Insider
    • Finance ₹
    • India News
    • Science
    • Health
Reading: Karnataka HC rejects appeal against stay on GO curbing activities in public spaces
Share
India Times NowIndia Times Now
Font ResizerAa
  • Bharat Shreshtha Ratna Sanman
  • India News
  • Categories
Search
  • Bharat Shreshtha Ratna Sanman
  • India News
  • Categories
    • Technology
    • Entertainment
    • The Escapist
    • Insider
    • Finance ₹
    • India News
    • Science
    • Health
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US

Home » Karnataka HC rejects appeal against stay on GO curbing activities in public spaces

India News

Karnataka HC rejects appeal against stay on GO curbing activities in public spaces

Times Desk
Last updated: November 6, 2025 7:40 am
Times Desk
Published: November 6, 2025
Share
SHARE


The Karnataka High Court dismissed an appeal by the State Government against a single-judge’s interim order staying a GO that mandated private organisations to obtain permission before holding any activities in government-owned spaces.

A division bench of Justices S. G. Pandit and Geetha K. B. directed the government to approach the single-judge to seek vacation of the stay.

The single-judge had issued an interim order on October 28.

According to the GO, any programme or procession held in violation of the government order will be treated as “unlawful assembly” under the provisions of the Bharatiya Nyaya Samhita (BNS) Act.

While the government order does not specifically name RSS, the provisions of the order are said to be aimed at impacting the activities of the Hindu right-wing organisation, including its route marches.

During the hearing, the division bench questioned whether gatherings of 10 or more individuals could automatically be treated as unlawful.

“If people wish to walk together, can that be stopped,” the bench asked, suggesting that the State seek clarification from the single-judge instead of filing an appeal.

Advocate-General Shashi Kiran Shetty, representing the government, maintained that the order targeted organised events, such as rallies and processions, not informal meet-ups. He said the government had already restricted protests, in Bengaluru, to Freedom Park and sporting events to Kanteerava Stadium.

“The order safeguards public property and the larger public interest,” he argued, calling the directive an ‘enabling provision’ rather than a restriction.

Senior advocate Ashok Haranahalli, appearing for respondents — Punashchetana Seva Samsthe and We Care Foundation — countered that the government’s appeal is not maintainable.

Citing Article 19(1)(b) of the Constitution, he said the right to assemble peacefully could be limited only on grounds of public order. “Even a group playing cricket would need daily permission under this rule,” he argued.

After hearing both sides, the bench rejected the government’s appeal against the stay granted by the single-judge.

The main petition before the single-judge is listed for hearing on November 17.

As per the GO dated October 18, permission to use government premises must be sought three days before a programme or event, and it will be applicable to any private association, society, trust, club, body of individuals or any other entity, whether registered or not.

Permission will be required for any procession or rally, which includes a congregation of over 10 persons, accompanied by music, having a common object to carry on a common movement or route march passing through a government property. However, marriage and funeral gatherings are exempted.

Government premises include land, building, road, park, playground, water body or any immovable property owned and managed by local authorities or administrative departments, boards, and corporations.

The jurisdictional police commissioner or deputy commissioner will be the ‘competent authority’ to issue permits.

The order was based on a recent Cabinet decision, prompted by Panchayat Raj and IT/BT Minister Priyank Kharge’s letter to Chief Minister Siddaramaiah seeking a ban on activities of the RSS in public places.

The opposition BJP has criticised the move, alleging that it was intended to curb the programmes and marches of the RSS.

Published – November 06, 2025 01:10 pm IST



Source link

ISI-backed terror module busted; one held with four grenades: Punjab Police
Bengaluru North division police recover 107 stolen mobile phones worth ₹21.4 lakh
CPI vows solidarity with Palestinian, flags GST and flood related issues
Forensic report finds whistleblower audiotapes linked to ex-Manipur CM Biren Singh ‘modified and tampered’: Supreme Court
Ensure Bengaluru does not become a gas chamber like Delhi, Khandre tells officials
TAGGED:Karnataka High Court rejects appeal against stay on GO curbing activities in public spacesKarnataka RSS ban activitiesstay on activities in public spaces in Karnataka
Share This Article
Facebook Email Print
Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Follow US

Find US on Social Medias
FacebookLike
XFollow
YoutubeSubscribe
TelegramFollow

Weekly Newsletter

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!
[mc4wp_form]
Popular News
EntertainmentMovieMusic

Sara Arjun-Ishaan Khatter’s video outside Wankhede grabs attention after ad buzz | Watch

Times Desk
Times Desk
March 30, 2026
77 IndiGo flights cancelled at Hyderabad airport on December 11
Tiger that killed Adivasi woman in Nilgiris captured
AIDSO leads agitations to oppose proposed closure of government schools
DDPIs asked to register all students who failed exam-1 for SSLC exam-2
- Advertisement -
Ad imageAd image
Global Coronavirus Cases

Confirmed

0

Death

0

More Information:Covid-19 Statistics
© INDIA TIMES NOW 2026 . All Rights Reserved.
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?