By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
India Times NowIndia Times NowIndia Times Now
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
  • Bharat Shreshtha Ratna Sanman
  • India News
  • Categories
    • Technology
    • Entertainment
    • The Escapist
    • Insider
    • Finance ₹
    • India News
    • Science
    • Health
Reading: K.C. Venugopal moves privilege notice against Rajnath for ‘misleading’ Parliament about Operation Sindoor casualties
Share
India Times NowIndia Times Now
Font ResizerAa
  • Bharat Shreshtha Ratna Sanman
  • India News
  • Categories
Search
  • Bharat Shreshtha Ratna Sanman
  • India News
  • Categories
    • Technology
    • Entertainment
    • The Escapist
    • Insider
    • Finance ₹
    • India News
    • Science
    • Health
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US

Home » K.C. Venugopal moves privilege notice against Rajnath for ‘misleading’ Parliament about Operation Sindoor casualties

India News

K.C. Venugopal moves privilege notice against Rajnath for ‘misleading’ Parliament about Operation Sindoor casualties

India Times Now Desk
Last updated: July 1, 2026 1:44 am
India Times Now Desk
Published: July 1, 2026
Share
SHARE


Contents
  • ‘Contempt of the House’
  • Insult to the families
Congress General Secretary K. C. Venugopal. File

Congress General Secretary K. C. Venugopal. File
| Photo Credit: ANI

Congress general secretary K.C. Venugopal on Tuesday (June 30, 2026) moved a privilege notice against Defence Minister Rajnath Singh in the Lok Sabha, accusing him of misleading Parliament by stating during the Operation Sindoor debate last year that no Indian soldier had been killed.

In a letter to Lok Sabha Speaker Om Birla, Mr. Venugopal sought initiation of privilege proceedings against the Defence Minister under Rule 223 of the Rules of Procedure and Conduct of Business in the Lok Sabha.

The Congress leader said that during the discussion held on July 28, 2025, regarding the Pahalgam terror attack and subsequent Operation Sindoor, Mr. Singh had told the House that no harm had come to Indian soldiers.

Monsoon session of Parliament likely from July 20

However, he noted that the government has since acknowledged that six personnel of the armed forces died during the military operation.

‘Contempt of the House’

“The Minister’s statement on the floor of the House that there had been no casualties during Operation Sindoor was clearly misleading and incorrect,” Mr. Venugopal said in the notice, adding that misleading Parliament or withholding information amounted to a breach of privilege and contempt of the House.

In a post on X, Mr. Venugopal, who heads the Public Accounts Committee (PAC), alleged that Mr. Singh had “lied to the people of India” during the debate.

“How could he, in July 2025, say that no Indian soldier was martyred, and then a year later the forces announce that we have lost six jawans?” he asked.

Insult to the families

He said withholding information about the deaths was an insult to the families of the personnel and the armed forces, adding that they had laid down their lives in defence of the nation.

The controversy erupted after the names of six personnel — five from the Indian Army and one from the Indian Air Force — who died during Operation Sindoor were inscribed on the National War Memorial, marking the first official disclosure of the casualties since the operation was carried out in May 2025.

Rejecting the Opposition’s allegations, the Defence Ministry said the nation had honoured the fallen personnel at the “earliest opportunity” and that their sacrifice would always be remembered with dignity and reverence.

It also accused “certain posts circulating on social media” of selectively quoting Mr. Singh’s July 28 speech to falsely suggest that he had claimed no Indian soldier had lost his life during Operation Sindoor, describing such claims as “deliberately misleading and factually incorrect”.

Operation Sindoor was launched in response to the April 22, 2025, terrorist attack in Pahalgam, Jammu and Kashmir, in which 26 people, mostly civilians, were killed.

Published – June 30, 2026 05:07 pm IST



Source link

Kidwai Memorial Institute of Oncology gets ISO 14001:2015 certification for solid waste management
Amit Shah holds meeting with Odisha’s BJP MLAs, Rajya Sabha poll candidates
Kerala to approach Centre after completing preparatory studies for financial aid for Port City project
O.J. Janeesh, Binu Chulliyil take charge as Youth Congress State president, working president
Weak Southwest monsoon hits farmers in Nilgiris
TAGGED:congress on operation sindoor debatekc venugopalparliamentprivilege motion moved against rajnathrajnath singh's statement in lok sabha
Share This Article
Facebook Email Print
Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Follow US

Find US on Social Medias
FacebookLike
XFollow
YoutubeSubscribe
TelegramFollow

Weekly Newsletter

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!
[mc4wp_form]
Popular News

Govt. reconstitutes Sanskrit varsity Syndicate

India Times Now Desk
India Times Now Desk
July 16, 2026
Rajyotsava day: Namma Metro to introduce 5th train on Yellow Line in Bengaluru
Focus on innovation and entrepreneurship in farm sector through agritech meet in Rajasthan
Blistering heat, soaring UV levels and high humidity keep Kerala on its toes
Dune 3 trailer out, Timothee Chalamet unveils Paul Atreides’ darkest journey yet | Watch | Hollywood
- Advertisement -
Ad imageAd image
Global Coronavirus Cases

Confirmed

0

Death

0

More Information:Covid-19 Statistics
© INDIA TIMES NOW 2026 . All Rights Reserved.
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?