By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
India Times NowIndia Times NowIndia Times Now
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
  • Bharat Shreshtha Ratna Sanman
  • India News
  • Categories
    • Technology
    • Entertainment
    • The Escapist
    • Insider
    • Finance ₹
    • India News
    • Science
    • Health
Reading: High Court judge refuses to recuse from hearing Madras Race Club case
Share
India Times NowIndia Times Now
Font ResizerAa
  • Bharat Shreshtha Ratna Sanman
  • India News
  • Categories
Search
  • Bharat Shreshtha Ratna Sanman
  • India News
  • Categories
    • Technology
    • Entertainment
    • The Escapist
    • Insider
    • Finance ₹
    • India News
    • Science
    • Health
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US

Home » High Court judge refuses to recuse from hearing Madras Race Club case

India News

High Court judge refuses to recuse from hearing Madras Race Club case

Times Desk
Last updated: October 28, 2025 10:52 am
Times Desk
Published: October 28, 2025
Share
SHARE


Police deployed outside the Madras Race Club in Guindy in September 2024

Police deployed outside the Madras Race Club in Guindy in September 2024
| Photo Credit: R. Ragu

Justice S.M. Subramaniam of the Madras High Court has refused to recuse from hearing an appeal filed by the Tamil Nadu government against Madras Race Club (MRC) though he had passed adverse orders against the club in another case, besides having appeared against the club in two cases during his stint as a lawyer.

“A judge may recuse, on his own, from a case entrusted to him by the Chief Justice. That would be a matter of his own choosing. But recusal at the asking of a litigating party, unless justified, must never be acceded to,” the senior judge wrote, while presiding over a Division Bench, along with Justice Mohammed Shaffiq.

The State had filed the appeal against a status quo order passed by Justice K. Kumaresh Babu on July 4, 2025, before the latter, on August 18, 2025, reserved orders on MRC’s plea to restrain the government from interfering with its possession of over 140 acres of land at Guindy in Chennai.

Senior counsel P. Wilson, representing the government, told the Division Bench that though the single judge had reserved orders on MRC’s application, the government had now chosen to file an appeal against his previous status quo order to strengthen four ponds, located on the land, before the monsoon.

On the other hand, senior counsel P.H. Arvindh Pandian, assisted by Vaibhav R. Venkatesh, requested Justice Subramaniam to recuse from hearing the State appeal as he had passed adverse orders against the club in 2023 in a case related to the demand of exorbitant rental arrears by the government.

In that case, Justice Subramaniam had directed the Tamil Nadu government to evict MRC from the sprawling Guindy property and take possession of the land, with the assistance of the police department, if the club fails to pay the revised rent as demanded by the government.

It was relying upon that order passed in the rental dispute that the government had initiated eviction proceedings, which had been challenged by MRC before Justice Babu. Therefore, an appeal arising out of these proceedings could not be heard by Justice Subramaniam sitting in a Division Bench, Mr. Pandian argued.

He also said, the senior judge in the Bench had appeared against MRC in two different civil suits during his stint as a lawyer and hence, there was a real apprehension in the club’s mind that there could be a great element of prejudice and bias impacting the neutrality of adjudication in the State appeal.

However, rejecting the request for recusal, Justice Subramaniam wrote: “It is not every suspicion held by a party that a judge, hearing the proceedings, is biased must lead to recusal. If every remark of a judge… is to be construed as indicating prejudice, it is afraid most judges will fail to pass the exacting test.”

He went on to state: “I must make it clear that the decision not to recuse but proceed to hear the matter was entirely mine. Though, I must state on discussion with my collegue, on the Bench, he would also agree that I should not recuse from hearing the matter.”

The Bench admitted the State appeal and ordered notice, returnable in four weeks, to MRC. In the meantime, by way of an interim order, it also modified the single judge’s status quo order and permitted the State government to strengthen the four ponds and proceed with any other project of public interest on the land.

“It is not in dispute that the strengthening/development of ponds and eco park are infrastructure projects sought to be implemented by the government in larger public interest. In view thereof, the order of status quo stands modified as provided supra,” the Division Bench’s interim order read.

Published – October 28, 2025 04:22 pm IST



Source link

CeNS scientists make breakthrough in the development of eco-friendly batteries
Rising oral cancer burden in T.N. highlights urgent need for awareness, early detection
Man killed, another critical in bike crash near Gachibowli flyover
Actively considering issue of airfare fluctuations, Centre tells Supreme Court
Maharashtra records highest number of 24,171 cases in crimes against children: NCRB report
TAGGED:Chennaimadras high courtMadras Race Club casetamil nadu
Share This Article
Facebook Email Print
Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Follow US

Find US on Social Medias
FacebookLike
XFollow
YoutubeSubscribe
TelegramFollow

Weekly Newsletter

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!
[mc4wp_form]
Popular News

Call to show compassion to people with mental health issues

krutikadalvibiz
krutikadalvibiz
September 10, 2025
Private professional colleges to close from November 3 and protest with one lakh staff on November 6
All India Prison Duty Meet opens in Hyderabad with focus on reforms and technology
Northeast monsoon arrives early over Tamil Nadu; heavy rains lash many districts
Additional grants towards crop loss disbursed to farmers in Dharwad
- Advertisement -
Ad imageAd image
Global Coronavirus Cases

Confirmed

0

Death

0

More Information:Covid-19 Statistics
© INDIA TIMES NOW 2026 . All Rights Reserved.
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?