By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
India Times NowIndia Times NowIndia Times Now
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
  • Bharat Shreshtha Ratna Sanman
  • India News
  • Categories
    • Technology
    • Entertainment
    • The Escapist
    • Insider
    • Finance ₹
    • India News
    • Science
    • Health
Reading: ‘Down to maybe one, in my mind’
Share
India Times NowIndia Times Now
Font ResizerAa
  • Bharat Shreshtha Ratna Sanman
  • India News
  • Categories
Search
  • Bharat Shreshtha Ratna Sanman
  • India News
  • Categories
    • Technology
    • Entertainment
    • The Escapist
    • Insider
    • Finance ₹
    • India News
    • Science
    • Health
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US

Home » ‘Down to maybe one, in my mind’

CryptocurrencyFinance ₹Investment

‘Down to maybe one, in my mind’

Times Desk
Last updated: January 21, 2026 8:31 pm
Times Desk
Published: January 21, 2026
Share
SHARE


President Trump indicates he has made a decision on the next Fed chair

President Donald Trump said Wednesday he is nearing the end of a search to replace Federal Reserve Chair Jerome Powell and hinted he has his candidate in mind.

In a CNBC interview at the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland, the president said a search that began in September and once included as many as 11 candidates is nearly over.

“I’d say we’re down to three, but we’re down to two. And I probably can tell you, we’re down to maybe one, in my mind,” the president said to CNBC’s Joe Kernen. Still, Trump declined to name the one.

The candidate list included past and current Fed officials, economists and Wall Street investors.

The finalists had been widely believed to be Former Fed Governor Kevin Warsh, current Governor Christopher Waller, National Economic Council chief Kevin Hassett and BlackRock fixed income head Rick Rieder. Trump in the interview said Rieder, the last to interview, is “very good” and praised all the candidates.

In recent days, Trump said he preferred Hassett stay at the NEC, likely eliminating him from contention.

The statement is the latest in a series of dramatic twists and turns in the saga following a year of unprecedented tumult for the central bank.

Though Trump criticized Powell and his colleagues heavily during his first term in office from 2017-21, he ramped up the pressure considerably in 2025. That included more verbal assaults on policymakers as well as threats to fire Powell and an actual attempt to sack Governor Lisa Cook, a move that was the subject of a Supreme Court hearing earlier Wednesday on presidential authority over the institution.

With Powell’s removal as chair a near certainty, the next question turns to whether he’ll stay on another two years to serve out his remaining term as governor. Staying on would give Powell a continued say over monetary policy and interest rates and could act a bulwark against Trump’s efforts to exert control over Fed decisions.

Trump indicated some indifference as to what Powell decides.

This is breaking news. Please refresh for updates.



Source link

BlackRock’s bull case for bitcoin access among retail investors
Can AI make you the next Warren Buffett? One bank is working to find out
Night owl bitcoin traders: Soon there'll be an ETF just for you
Here’s what changed in the new statement
Stocks making the biggest moves premarket: NVO, JPM, UAL
TAGGED:Breaking newsBreaking News: Economybusiness newsEconomy
Share This Article
Facebook Email Print
Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Follow US

Find US on Social Medias
FacebookLike
XFollow
YoutubeSubscribe
TelegramFollow

Weekly Newsletter

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!
[mc4wp_form]
Popular News

French President Emmanuel Macron lands in Mumbai for his India visit

Times Desk
Times Desk
February 17, 2026
West Bengal government directs schools to mandatorily include singing of Vande Mataram in morning assemblies
Kantara A Legend: Chapter 1 release date, cast, trailer, expectations
Kalaburagi: Divya Hagaragi among seven arrested by CCB for gambling, ₹42,000 cash seized in raid
Avengers Doomsday makers to release four different trailers with Avatar: Fire and Ash? What we know
- Advertisement -
Ad imageAd image
Global Coronavirus Cases

Confirmed

0

Death

0

More Information:Covid-19 Statistics
© INDIA TIMES NOW 2026 . All Rights Reserved.
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?