By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
India Times NowIndia Times NowIndia Times Now
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
  • Bharat Shreshtha Ratna Sanman
  • India News
  • Categories
    • Technology
    • Entertainment
    • The Escapist
    • Insider
    • Finance ₹
    • India News
    • Science
    • Health
Reading: Conduct inquiry into Operation Sindoor, Pahalgam attacks, demands former Maharashtra CM Prithviraj Chavan
Share
India Times NowIndia Times Now
Font ResizerAa
  • Bharat Shreshtha Ratna Sanman
  • India News
  • Categories
Search
  • Bharat Shreshtha Ratna Sanman
  • India News
  • Categories
    • Technology
    • Entertainment
    • The Escapist
    • Insider
    • Finance ₹
    • India News
    • Science
    • Health
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US

Home » Conduct inquiry into Operation Sindoor, Pahalgam attacks, demands former Maharashtra CM Prithviraj Chavan

India News

Conduct inquiry into Operation Sindoor, Pahalgam attacks, demands former Maharashtra CM Prithviraj Chavan

Times Desk
Last updated: December 17, 2025 4:34 pm
Times Desk
Published: December 17, 2025
Share
SHARE


Congress leader Prithviraj Chavan. File

Congress leader Prithviraj Chavan. File
| Photo Credit: PTI

After stating that there was no question of tendering an apology for his remarks on Operation Sindoor, former Union Minister and former Chief Minister of Maharashtra Prithviraj Chavan on Wednesday (December 17, 2025) demanded a thorough inquiry into Operation Sindoor and the Pahalgam attacks. “The country needs to know the entire truth. What is wrong if I ask questions to the political leadership? I want to know if my country is safe in Narendra Modi’s hands,” the Congress leader told The Hindu.

Mr. Chavan’s demand came a day after his comment that India had been completely defeated on the first day of Operation Sindoor, which caused a stir. His remark was being misconstrued, he said.

“I have utmost respect for our defence forces. I did not raise any question on the armed forces. My question is to the political leadership, that they should give a reply to the country,” the Congress leader said.

“Under Article 51A(h) of the Constitution, it is my duty as a citizen to develop the scientific temper, humanism, and the spirit of inquiry and reform, promoting rational thinking, compassion, and progress, rather than blind faith or superstition, as part of India’s vision for a modern, progressive society.”

Mr. Chavan had spoken at a public event in Pune on Tuesday (December 16). “On the first day [of Operation Sindoor], we were completely defeated. In the half-hour aerial engagement that took place on [May] 7th, we were fully defeated, whether people accept it or not. Indian aircraft were shot down. The [Indian] Air Force was completely grounded, and not a single aircraft flew. If any aircraft had taken off from Gwalior, Bathinda, or Sirsa, there was a high probability of being shot down by Pakistan, which is why the Air Force was fully grounded,” he had said. He had also questioned the need to maintain large military forces, stating that wars would be fought in the air. His remarks stoked a controversy.

On Wednesday (December 17), Shiv Sena (Uddhav Balasaheb Thackeray or UBT) MP Sanjay Raut came out in support of Mr. Chavan. “The way Operation Sindoor began and later stopped is shrouded in suspense. Our forces were advancing, but after [U.S.] President [Donald] Trump’s ceasefire call, they stopped. This is a betrayal of the whole country. Operation Sindoor remains incomplete, and the revenge for the Pahalgam attack is unfinished,” Mr. Raut said.

Maharashtra Deputy Chief Minister Eknath Shinde targeted Mr. Chavan, saying that the Congress leader was speaking “Pakistan’s language”. “This is like demoralising our forces,” Mr. Shinde said.

Mr. Chavan’s remarks stirred a controversy. The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) slammed him, calling him anti-national.

Responding to the political criticism, Mr. Chavan said his comments were being misconstrued. He had not questioned the armed forces, he said, but that the political debate had been misdirected towards the armed forces. “My question is to the political leadership,” the Congress leader said.

Published – December 17, 2025 10:04 pm IST



Source link

Vehicle fitness test fees: What are the new charges
Stopping SIR is our foremost duty: T.N. CM Stalin
CPI vows to safeguard the sanctity of the Constitution
Event on Deendayal Upadhyaya at Karnataka State Open University put off: Higher Education Minister
Improve Transport dept. revenue without inconveniencing people: Ponnam
TAGGED:Chavan inquiry into PahalgamMaharashtra CM Prithviraj ChavanPrithviraj Chavan inquiry into Operation Sindoor
Share This Article
Facebook Email Print
Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Follow US

Find US on Social Medias
FacebookLike
XFollow
YoutubeSubscribe
TelegramFollow

Weekly Newsletter

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!
[mc4wp_form]
Popular News

‘The Hindu is another name for trust,’ says Eknath Shinde

Times Desk
Times Desk
May 22, 2026
Belagavi literary festival on Sunday
Police register FIR after viral video shows BJP worker’s kin firing into the air at wedding
₹203 crore for Kempegowda memorials and urban design college: DKS
T.N. Assembly election 2026: Pollution by closed chromium factory, untreated effluents remain unsolved in Ranipet constituency
- Advertisement -
Ad imageAd image
Global Coronavirus Cases

Confirmed

0

Death

0

More Information:Covid-19 Statistics
© INDIA TIMES NOW 2026 . All Rights Reserved.
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?