By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
India Times NowIndia Times NowIndia Times Now
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
  • Bharat Shreshtha Ratna Sanman
  • India News
  • Categories
    • Technology
    • Entertainment
    • The Escapist
    • Insider
    • Finance ₹
    • India News
    • Science
    • Health
Reading: Supreme Court refuses to entertain plea seeking guidelines on suspension, blocking of social media accounts
Share
India Times NowIndia Times Now
Font ResizerAa
  • Bharat Shreshtha Ratna Sanman
  • India News
  • Categories
Search
  • Bharat Shreshtha Ratna Sanman
  • India News
  • Categories
    • Technology
    • Entertainment
    • The Escapist
    • Insider
    • Finance ₹
    • India News
    • Science
    • Health
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US

Home » Supreme Court refuses to entertain plea seeking guidelines on suspension, blocking of social media accounts

India News

Supreme Court refuses to entertain plea seeking guidelines on suspension, blocking of social media accounts

Times Desk
Last updated: October 10, 2025 7:46 am
Times Desk
Published: October 10, 2025
Share
SHARE


Image used for representation

Image used for representation
| Photo Credit: Getty Images/iStockphotos

The Supreme Court on Friday (October 10, 2025) refused to entertain a plea seeking pan-India guidelines for governing social media intermediaries with respect to suspension and blocking of accounts.

The apex court allowed the two petitioners to withdraw the plea and told them that they were free to seek any other remedy available in law before an appropriate forum.

A Bench of Justices Vikram Nath and Sandeep Mehta was told by the counsel appearing for the petitioners that their WhatsApp, which they used to communicate with the customers, was blocked.

“There are other communication applications, you can use,” the Bench observed and asked why WhatsApp of the petitioners was blocked.

The petitioners’ counsel said no reason was given to them.

“What is your fundamental right to have access to WhatsApp?” the Bench. It asked the petitioners why they approached the apex court directly with a petition under Article 32 of the Constitution.

The counsel said the petitioners, who have a clinic and a polydiagnostic centre, were communicating with their clients through WhatsApp and had been using the messaging platform for the last 10-12 years.

The Bench observed that recently an indigenous messaging app has been created, and the petitioners may use that for communicating with their clients.

It added that the petitioners may approach the High Court with their grievances.

The counsel referred to the prayer made in the plea and said the petitioners have sought pan-India guidelines “for governing the social media intermediaries with respect to suspension and blocking of account, ensuring due process, transparency and proportionality”.

The counsel asked how could their WhatsApp be blocked without giving them any opportunity to respond.

“Is WhatsApp or the intermediary, a state?” the Bench asked.

When the counsel said “it is not”, the Bench observed that even a writ petition might not be maintainable before the High Court.

The Bench observed that the petitioners may file a civil suit.

Published – October 10, 2025 01:16 pm IST



Source link

Malakpet railway station set to get a ₹26.5 crore makeover
Srinagar court issues non-bailable warrant against Farooq Abdullah in J&K cricket scam
Work on first government critical care block for tribals in Vellore nearing completion
Parvatipuram Collector launches Helping Hands programme in hospitals
IIM Calcutta records 100% placements with highest domestic offer at ₹145 lakhs PA
TAGGED:blocking of social media accountsguidelines on suspensionSocial media guidelinesSupreme Court on Social Media Guidelines
Share This Article
Facebook Email Print
Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Follow US

Find US on Social Medias
FacebookLike
XFollow
YoutubeSubscribe
TelegramFollow

Weekly Newsletter

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!
[mc4wp_form]
Popular News

Nine people dead as van plunges off Valparai cliff in T.N.

Times Desk
Times Desk
April 17, 2026
Court denies bail to two accused in Mirwaiz Moulvi Farooq’s assassination case
Make in India turns Yamuna Expressway into a foreign investment hotspot, boosts real estate demand
Kozhikode Corpn. Budget moots travelling festival for Malayalam literature
Stocks making the biggest moves midday: D, PSKY, RKLB, SWK
- Advertisement -
Ad imageAd image
Global Coronavirus Cases

Confirmed

0

Death

0

More Information:Covid-19 Statistics
© INDIA TIMES NOW 2026 . All Rights Reserved.
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?