By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
India Times NowIndia Times NowIndia Times Now
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
  • Bharat Shreshtha Ratna Sanman
  • India News
  • Categories
    • Technology
    • Entertainment
    • The Escapist
    • Insider
    • Finance ₹
    • India News
    • Science
    • Health
Reading: CJP says three sets of questions on youth protests disallowed in Lok Sabha
Share
India Times NowIndia Times Now
Font ResizerAa
  • Bharat Shreshtha Ratna Sanman
  • India News
  • Categories
Search
  • Bharat Shreshtha Ratna Sanman
  • India News
  • Categories
    • Technology
    • Entertainment
    • The Escapist
    • Insider
    • Finance ₹
    • India News
    • Science
    • Health
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US

Home » CJP says three sets of questions on youth protests disallowed in Lok Sabha

India News

CJP says three sets of questions on youth protests disallowed in Lok Sabha

India Times Now Desk
Last updated: August 16, 2026 12:47 pm
India Times Now Desk
Published: August 16, 2026
Share
SHARE


Three sets of questions concerning the Cockroach Janta Party-led youth protests were disallowed during the recent Monsoon Session of Parliament, citing admissibility conditions, CJP chief spokesperson Saurav Das said on Sunday (August 17, 2026), criticising the decision.

In a post on X, Mr. Das said Lok Sabha MP Matheswaran V.S. of the DMK had sought answers from the Union Home Ministry and the Union Education Ministry through three sets of questions, bearing notice reference numbers 101799 and 101801.

The questions sought information on the refund of application fees for NEET-UG 2026, growing public distrust in the government, denial of drinking water and sanitation facilities to CJP protesters in Delhi, the government’s engagement with protesting students and youth, student welfare, paper leaks and education reforms, and the treatment of citizens exercising their fundamental right to peaceful protest, Mr. Das said.

But “very bizarre justifications” were given for rejecting “perfectly legitimate questions”, he said.

Mr. Das said the questions were disallowed citing Rule 41(2), including clauses (i), (iv), (v), (xviii) and (xxii).

Under Rule 41(2) of the Lok Sabha Rules of Procedure and Conduct of Business, questions have to meet certain admissibility conditions.

Clause (i) says a question should be clearly and precisely expressed and not be too general or incapable of a specific answer; Clause (iv) bars arguments, inferences, imputations, epithets or defamatory statements; and Clause (v) bars questions seeking an expression of opinion or the solution of an abstract legal question or hypothetical proposition.

Clause (xviii) bars questions seeking information on matters under adjudication by a court, while Clause (xxii) says questions should not ordinarily seek information on matters under consideration by a Parliamentary Committee.

When contacted, Mr. Matheswaran confirmed that the questions had been disallowed and said he received the information through the Lok Sabha members’ portal.

Reacting to it, Mr. Das raised the issue of the government’s accountability to Parliament over the handling of the protests.

“Yet, these questions were disallowed citing Rule 41(2), including clauses (i), (iv), (v), (xviii) and (xxii). Very bizarre justifications for perfectly legitimate questions,” he said.

“If these questions cannot be asked in Parliament, where exactly is the Government supposed to be held accountable? Through protests? Why did Home Minister Amit Shah not come before Parliament during those crucial weeks and answer questions concerning the police action against protesters?” Mr. Das said.

“The right of an MP to question the Executive is not some procedural nuisance but is actually the heart of parliamentary democracy. Question Hour exists precisely because ministers who exercise enormous public power must answer to the elected representatives of the people. Otherwise, of course, people will be forced to come out on the roads,” he said.

“You can’t gag the Parliament and make it a rubber stamp for your half-baked policies. You cannot ignore the youth. This is not our idea of India!” Mr. Das said.

The CJP-led protests began in June over the NEET-UG examination and wider concerns over paper leaks, examination reforms and student welfare.

The agitation intensified after activist Sonam Wangchuk joined the protest at Jantar Mantar and began an indefinite hunger strike. The protesters later organised a ‘Sansad Chalo’ march on July 20, during which police action, including the alleged use of pellet guns, became a major issue.

The CJP later called off its agitation after the government accepted its demands, including the resignation of Dharmendra Pradhan from the post of education minister.

The CJP had also demanded accountability for the use of force against protesters and sought an explanation from Mr. Shah, whose ministry oversees the Delhi Police.

Opposition parties subsequently raised the issue in Parliament and demanded that Mr. Shah explain who authorised the alleged use of pellet guns and other force against the protesters.

The issue contributed to repeated disruptions in both Houses.

The Lok Sabha website says the admissibility of questions is governed by Rules 41 to 44, besides the Speaker’s directions, parliamentary precedents and established practices.

Published – August 16, 2026 06:17 pm IST



Source link

Man detained in Ayodhya for attempting to offer ‘namaz’ inside Ram Temple complex
AP cadre IAS officer A. Vani Prasad reallocated to Telangana cadre
BJP claiming ‘fake credit’ for raising land acquisition compensation for farmers; law made by UPA govt, says Congress
Stop being facilitator for ED, Modi govt: CPI(M) slams Rahul Gandhi over remarks on Vijayan
Cockroach Janta Party founder Abhijeet Dipke slapped during protest in Jaipur
TAGGED:MP Matheswaranquestions on youth protests disallowed in Lok SabhaSaurav Dasthree sets of questions
Share This Article
Facebook Email Print
Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Follow US

Find US on Social Medias
FacebookLike
XFollow
YoutubeSubscribe
TelegramFollow

Weekly Newsletter

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!
[mc4wp_form]
Popular News

Anna University appoints Registrar in-charge

India Times Now Desk
India Times Now Desk
October 22, 2025
Minister Uttam Reddy rules out storage of water in Kaleshwaram barrages citing NDSA’s advice
UDF leadership meeting to lay out the contours of the next Kerala cabinet gets underway
Telangana man ‘shot dead’ by cops in U.S., family requests MEA to help in bringing back mortal remains
CID to probe 10 cases linked to Hubballi ‘disrobing’ and Ballari firing
- Advertisement -
Ad imageAd image
Global Coronavirus Cases

Confirmed

0

Death

0

More Information:Covid-19 Statistics
© INDIA TIMES NOW 2026 . All Rights Reserved.
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?