By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
India Times NowIndia Times NowIndia Times Now
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
  • Bharat Shreshtha Ratna Sanman
  • India News
  • Categories
    • Technology
    • Entertainment
    • The Escapist
    • Insider
    • Finance ₹
    • India News
    • Science
    • Health
Reading: Congress seeks Rajnath Singh’s resignation in controversy over Operation Sindoor deaths
Share
India Times NowIndia Times Now
Font ResizerAa
  • Bharat Shreshtha Ratna Sanman
  • India News
  • Categories
Search
  • Bharat Shreshtha Ratna Sanman
  • India News
  • Categories
    • Technology
    • Entertainment
    • The Escapist
    • Insider
    • Finance ₹
    • India News
    • Science
    • Health
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US

Home » Congress seeks Rajnath Singh’s resignation in controversy over Operation Sindoor deaths

India News

Congress seeks Rajnath Singh’s resignation in controversy over Operation Sindoor deaths

India Times Now Desk
Last updated: June 30, 2026 2:18 am
India Times Now Desk
Published: June 30, 2026
Share
SHARE


The Defence Ministry has also accused critics of selectively quoting Mr. Singh’s statement in Parliament in July 2025 to falsely suggest that he had claimed no Indian soldier had died during Operation Sindoor. File

The Defence Ministry has also accused critics of selectively quoting Mr. Singh’s statement in Parliament in July 2025 to falsely suggest that he had claimed no Indian soldier had died during Operation Sindoor. File
| Photo Credit: ANI

Stepping up its attack on the Centre over the deaths of six military personnel during Operation Sindoor, the Congress on Monday (June 29, 2026) demanded the resignation of Union Defence Minister Rajnath Singh, accusing him of “lying” in Parliament by stating that no Indian soldier had been killed in the operation. 

The party also demanded an apology from Prime Minister Narendra Modi.

Addressing a press conference, chairperson of the Congress’s Ex-servicemen Department Col. Rohit Chaudhry (Retd.) and Wing Commander Anuma Acharya (Retd.) alleged that by concealing the deaths of six personnel — five from the Indian Army and one from the Indian Air Force — during the May 2025 operation, the Narendra Modi government had denied them due public recognition and honour. 

Wing Commander Acharya claimed that previous governments had publicly honoured every soldier who made the supreme sacrifice, and accused the present dispensation of “politicising the armed forces”.

“The Modi government, which politicises the army and soldiers, has repeatedly betrayed the country and the soldiers,” she said.

Col. Chaudhry accused the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) of using “soldiers as props” while seeking votes in the name of the armed forces.

“When Defence Minister Rajnath Singh was lying in Parliament that no soldier had been martyred, BJP MPs were clapping. Rajnath Singh has insulted the country’s army and soldiers. We demand his resignation,” Col. Chaudhry said.

Mr. Singh had “insulted” the soldiers who laid down their lives during Operation Sindoor, he alleged, and questioned why it had taken 13 months for their names to be made public.

“The foundation of the Modi government is built on lies. They have no right to remain in power,” he said.

Listing the party’s demands, Col. Chaudhry said the Congress would urge its leadership to move a breach of privilege motion against the Defence Minister. 

He also called on Mr. Modi and BJP MPs to publicly apologise for backing what he described as Mr. Singh’s “lies”, and reiterated the Congress’s demand for the scrapping of the Agnipath recruitment scheme.

The controversy intensified after the government recently disclosed the names of the martyred soldiers, when they were inscribed on the National War Memorial, more than a year after the operation.

The government has rejected the Opposition’s charge, maintaining that the nation had paid tribute to the fallen personnel at the “earliest opportunity”, and that their memory has been honoured with the dignity and reverence it deserves.

The Defence Ministry has also accused critics of selectively quoting Mr. Singh’s statement in Parliament in July 2025 to falsely suggest that he had claimed no Indian soldier had died during Operation Sindoor. Social media posts had misrepresented the Minister’s remarks by taking them out of context, the Defence Ministry said.

Published – June 29, 2026 10:50 pm IST



Source link

Former IAS officer U. Sagayam approaches Madras High Court seeking police security
Deputy Chief Minister Pawan Kalyan talks tough against those issuing threats to contractors, bureaucrats in Andhra Pradesh
FIFA fever high as Hyderabad bars to stay open late for grand finale
Aware of concerns of being voiced by jobless youth, says CM
Two youths held for hurling petrol bomb in Ranipet over previous enmity
TAGGED:congress on soldier deaths in Operation SindoorOperation Sindoor soldiersoldier deaths in Operation Sindoorsoldier deaths rajnath singh
Share This Article
Facebook Email Print
Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Follow US

Find US on Social Medias
FacebookLike
XFollow
YoutubeSubscribe
TelegramFollow

Weekly Newsletter

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!
[mc4wp_form]
Popular News

‘Indian Muslims no longer fear SIR, did not fall in Mamata’s trap’: West Bengal LoP Suvendu Adhikari

India Times Now Desk
India Times Now Desk
November 17, 2025
Experts emphasise E20 compliant, thoroughly tested amid raging concerns
Chinmayi Sripaada remembers ‘crying buckets’ dubbing for Trisha in Suriya’s Karuppu; hints at Leo controversy
See the full list of U.S. tariffs in place around the world
Man arrested for selling deer meat in Attapur
- Advertisement -
Ad imageAd image
Global Coronavirus Cases

Confirmed

0

Death

0

More Information:Covid-19 Statistics
© INDIA TIMES NOW 2026 . All Rights Reserved.
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?