By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
India Times NowIndia Times NowIndia Times Now
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
  • Bharat Shreshtha Ratna Sanman
  • India News
  • Categories
    • Technology
    • Entertainment
    • The Escapist
    • Insider
    • Finance ₹
    • India News
    • Science
    • Health
Reading: SC refuses urgent hearing on plea to defer June 21 NEET-UG retest
Share
India Times NowIndia Times Now
Font ResizerAa
  • Bharat Shreshtha Ratna Sanman
  • India News
  • Categories
Search
  • Bharat Shreshtha Ratna Sanman
  • India News
  • Categories
    • Technology
    • Entertainment
    • The Escapist
    • Insider
    • Finance ₹
    • India News
    • Science
    • Health
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US

Home » SC refuses urgent hearing on plea to defer June 21 NEET-UG retest

India News

SC refuses urgent hearing on plea to defer June 21 NEET-UG retest

India Times Now Desk
Last updated: June 19, 2026 3:06 pm
India Times Now Desk
Published: June 19, 2026
Share
SHARE


Contents
  • ‘Severe stress’
  • ‘Very traumatic’
  • Reform recommendations
The medical entrance examination, originally held on May 3, was cancelled nationwide on May 12 following allegations of a question paper leak. File.

The medical entrance examination, originally held on May 3, was cancelled nationwide on May 12 following allegations of a question paper leak. File.
| Photo Credit: PTI

For the second time this week, the Supreme Court on Friday (June 19, 2026) declined to grant an urgent hearing to a petition challenging the National Testing Agency’s (NTA) decision to conduct the NEET-UG 2026 examination once again for nearly 22 lakh candidates.

The medical entrance examination, originally held on May 3, was cancelled nationwide on May 12 following allegations of a question paper leak. The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) subsequently launched a probe, and a retest has been scheduled for June 21.

“We will not entertain any request for urgent hearing,” a Bench headed by Chief Justice of India Surya Kant said, while hearing a plea by 11 aspirants who claimed to be experiencing heightened stress in the wake of allegations about the retest, and the limited time available for preparation.

‘Severe stress’

Appearing for the petitioners, advocate Adeel Ahmed clarified that the students were not opposed to the retest itself, but were deeply concerned by the recent developments.

“Candidates are under severe stress and anxiety. There are rumours of a paper leak affecting the integrity of the re-NEET exam as well,” he submitted, adding that students had also expressed concerns over the limited preparation time available before the June 21 examination.

The Chief Justice refused to entertain the petition, observing that the petition would come for hearing before a Bench led by Justice P.S. Narasimha, which is already hearing a batch of cases related to the NEET examination. However, Justice Narasimha’s Bench is scheduled to hear the case only after the Supreme Court resumes regular sittings on July 13, effectively rendering the plea infructuous.

“We know how judicial platforms are being used,” the Chief Justice said.

‘Very traumatic’

The petition contended that candidates were already grappling with considerable stress following the NTA’s abrupt decision to cancel the examination conducted on May 3. It argued that the decision to hold a fresh test within a short span of time had heightened uncertainty and anxiety among aspirants.

“Many candidates had already disengaged from their preparation following the completion of the original examination and were subsequently required to restart preparation for an extensive syllabus under conditions of uncertainty and anxiety,” the plea stated.

Earlier, the Bench led by Justice Narasimha had raised serious concerns over the cancellation of the examination following the allegations of paper leak, describing the development as “very traumatic” for students and their families. The court had underscored the need for accountability in the face of lapses affecting lakhs of candidates, and directed the Union government and the NTA to place on record the measures taken to prevent recurrence of such incidents.

Reform recommendations

Following the 2024 NEET-UG paper leak, which had also seen judicial intervention by the top court, the Centre had set up a seven-member committee to review the examination process and suggest remedial measures.

The panel, chaired by former Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) chairman K. Radhakrishnan, had submitted its report in October 2024, recommending a series of reforms to strengthen the NTA’s functioning, improve coordination among States, examination partners, and test-indenting agencies, and establish safeguards to prevent future paper leaks.

To implement the recommendations, the Centre had subsequently constituted another committee in November 2024 and had also enacted the Public Examinations (Prevention of Unfair Means) Act, 2024.

Published – June 19, 2026 08:36 pm IST



Source link

Arrested couple accused of ₹23 crore fraud brought to city by CCS on transit warrant
Nitish Kumar files nomination papers for Rajya Sabha, ending 20 years as Bihar CM
Bombay HC sets aside charges framed against four accused in 2006 Malegaon blast case
Boat clubs in Kerala shift into high gear as Kuttanad readies for famed Nehru Trophy Boat Race
Karnataka SIR: 16 districts, mostly backward, report over 12% voters under ASDDO
TAGGED:NEET-UG retestNEET-UG retest 2026NEET-UG Supreme CourtReneet
Share This Article
Facebook Email Print
Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Follow US

Find US on Social Medias
FacebookLike
XFollow
YoutubeSubscribe
TelegramFollow

Weekly Newsletter

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!
[mc4wp_form]
Popular News

General Subramani takes charge as new Chief of Defence Staff

India Times Now Desk
India Times Now Desk
May 31, 2026
This IT company announces rollout of pan-India agritech, shares in focus today
LPG shortage begins to hit Hyderabad’s PGs and hostels, owners fear disruption to meals
Victory margin less than 100 in three Bihar seats
Bengaluru rings in 2026 with a night full of revelry
- Advertisement -
Ad imageAd image
Global Coronavirus Cases

Confirmed

0

Death

0

More Information:Covid-19 Statistics
© INDIA TIMES NOW 2026 . All Rights Reserved.
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?