By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
India Times NowIndia Times NowIndia Times Now
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
  • Bharat Shreshtha Ratna Sanman
  • India News
  • Categories
    • Technology
    • Entertainment
    • The Escapist
    • Insider
    • Finance ₹
    • India News
    • Science
    • Health
Reading: FIR against Jaipur journalist for social media post targeting Rajasthan Chief Secretary
Share
India Times NowIndia Times Now
Font ResizerAa
  • Bharat Shreshtha Ratna Sanman
  • India News
  • Categories
Search
  • Bharat Shreshtha Ratna Sanman
  • India News
  • Categories
    • Technology
    • Entertainment
    • The Escapist
    • Insider
    • Finance ₹
    • India News
    • Science
    • Health
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US

Home » FIR against Jaipur journalist for social media post targeting Rajasthan Chief Secretary

India News

FIR against Jaipur journalist for social media post targeting Rajasthan Chief Secretary

Times Desk
Last updated: May 10, 2026 10:08 am
Times Desk
Published: May 10, 2026
Share
SHARE


An FIR has been registered against a Jaipur-based journalist for allegedly posting a defamatory article on social media targeting the Rajasthan Chief Secretary and the administration.

According to the FIR registered on Friday (May 8, 2026), the action was initiated following a Facebook post dated April 26 by freelance journalist Mahesh Jhalani, which allegedly contained objectionable content affecting the image of the State Government and senior officials.

However, in a subsequent social media post late Saturday (May 9), Mr. Jhalani expressed regret over the language used by him and met Chief Secretary V. Srinivas, in person and conveyed his apology. He claimed the officer accepted his apology with “grace and generosity”.

In the post, the journalist had sharply criticised the functioning of the administration, alleging the system had become “paralysed”, and questioned the leadership of the Chief Secretary, citing lack of field experience and ineffective governance.

The article also alleged that administrative decisions were largely confined to files with little impact on the ground and accused the top bureaucracy of focusing more on image-building than substantive work. In a subsequent social media post late Saturday (May 9), Mr. Jhalani expressed regret over the language used by him.

He said the post was written “in a moment of anger and agitation” and acknowledged that its tone was inappropriate and against journalistic values. He added that upon reflection, he felt the comments had hurt the dignity of a senior officer and did not align with the principles of responsible journalism.

The journalist also maintained that while criticism is a democratic right, it should not undermine personal dignity, and described his apology as a “moral resolution” beyond legal recourse.

The office of the Chief Secretary had earlier directed that legal action be taken under relevant provisions of the Bharatiya Nyaya Sanhita and the Information Technology Act.

The Home Department of the Rajasthan government had issued instructions to register a case against the journalist at Ashok Nagar police station in Jaipur.

Officials said the article was found to be “misleading and defamatory” in nature and warranted legal action to curb such attempts on electronic social media platforms.


Also Read : India’s media ecosystem doesn’t need validation from foreign bodies: Centre

Acting on the directions, police in Jaipur South registered a case various sections of the Bharatiya Nyaya Sanhita, along with Section 66D of the IT Act on May 8.

The case has been assigned to investigating officer Motilal Sharma, and further investigation is underway, police said.

Published – May 10, 2026 03:06 pm IST



Source link

Short of crossing the red line
Six injured after major fire breaks out in Laldarwaza Mod of Old City
Release funds for Musi and 7,444 km sewerage network: MP in AMRUT review meeting
CM visits injured Hubballi workers
Anil Ambani: Bombay HC quashes order staying proceedings against businessman to classify his bank accounts as fraud
TAGGED:Jaipur journalist FIRRajasthan journalist Chief secretary defamationRajasthan journalist FIRRajasthan journalist police chargeRajasthan news
Share This Article
Facebook Email Print
Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Follow US

Find US on Social Medias
FacebookLike
XFollow
YoutubeSubscribe
TelegramFollow

Weekly Newsletter

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!
[mc4wp_form]
Popular News

Do not hesitate to invest more, expand capacities: Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman tells India Inc.

krutikadalvibiz
krutikadalvibiz
September 18, 2025
3 tier-II airports in Karnataka record growth in passenger numbers, 3 see drop
Defamation case against Sobha Surendran posted to October 24
Government stands firmly with the youth at every step: Hemant Soren
Consul General meets VIT Chancellor
- Advertisement -
Ad imageAd image
Global Coronavirus Cases

Confirmed

0

Death

0

More Information:Covid-19 Statistics
© INDIA TIMES NOW 2026 . All Rights Reserved.
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?