By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
India Times NowIndia Times NowIndia Times Now
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
  • Bharat Shreshtha Ratna Sanman
  • India News
  • Categories
    • Technology
    • Entertainment
    • The Escapist
    • Insider
    • Finance ₹
    • India News
    • Science
    • Health
Reading: Akhilesh questions ECI’s ‘credibility’, asks how BJP knew about voter deletions in advance
Share
India Times NowIndia Times Now
Font ResizerAa
  • Bharat Shreshtha Ratna Sanman
  • India News
  • Categories
Search
  • Bharat Shreshtha Ratna Sanman
  • India News
  • Categories
    • Technology
    • Entertainment
    • The Escapist
    • Insider
    • Finance ₹
    • India News
    • Science
    • Health
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US

Home » Akhilesh questions ECI’s ‘credibility’, asks how BJP knew about voter deletions in advance

India News

Akhilesh questions ECI’s ‘credibility’, asks how BJP knew about voter deletions in advance

Times Desk
Last updated: January 10, 2026 12:35 pm
Times Desk
Published: January 10, 2026
Share
SHARE


Samajwadi Party President Akhilesh Yadav. File

Samajwadi Party President Akhilesh Yadav. File
| Photo Credit: PTI

Samajwadi Party chief Akhilesh Yadav on Saturday (January 10, 2026) questioned how the BJP leaders knew the number of voters going to be removed, and said that it raises question over the “credibility” of the Election Commission of India (ECI).

Speaking to reporters in Lucknow, Mr. Yadav said the Special Intensive Revision (SIR) of electoral rolls was conducted in Uttar Pradesh. Without objecting, all political parties, including their booth-level agents (BLAs), participated in the exercise.

After the release of the draft voter list on Tuesday (January 6, 2026), Mr. Yadav said, he was apprehensive about the removal of 3 crore votes.

However, even before the draft voter list was released, and no one knew how many votes would be removed, the Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister said that approximately four crore votes were going to be removed, Mr. Yadav said.

A former MP from Kannauj also said that three lakh votes had already been removed in one district, Mr. Yadav said. He added that there are two Assembly constituencies in different districts, and they will remove votes there as well.

If BJP leaders are making such statements, then the question arises over the credibility of the Election Commission, Mr. Yadav said.

The draft electoral roll for Uttar Pradesh was published on Tuesday after a Special Intensive Revision (SIR) exercise, with 2.89 crore voters excluded and 12.55 crore retained out of 15.44 crore listed earlier, Chief Electoral Officer (CEO) Navdeep Rinwa had said.

The 2.89 crore voters, or 18.70%, could not be included in the draft list due to deaths, permanent migration or multiple registrations, Rinwa said, addressing a press conference here.

The final electoral list will be published on March 6 this year, Rinwa had said.

Mr. Yadav said that he hopes that when such a large-scale exercise like the voter registration drive is being conducted, the genuine voters will have their names added to the voter list.

Raising the question regarding the data provided by the BLOs (Booth Level Officers), Mr. Yadav said how the total number of rural voters in Panchayat, 12.69 crore, can be more than that of voters for the Assembly elections across the entire state, 12.56 crore, when the same BLOs are preparing the voter lists for both the elections.

He raised doubts regarding the removal of 2.88 crore voters from the draft Assembly voter list, while the addition of 40 lakh voters by the same BLOs for the Panchayat elections, he said.

The former Chief Minister said, “Is the final voter list for the Panchayat elections being delayed by 50 days to conceal this fact? When the same BLOs prepared both voter lists, why is the state data not being released? Why are they delaying it?”

“We can only demand this information from the Election Commission, because those in power have already given instructions to increase the number of votes by 200, and we have made our preparations accordingly,” the SP chief said.

Published – January 10, 2026 06:05 pm IST



Source link

ECI orders transfer of officials in Kerala ahead of Assembly polls
Voter turnout lowest in Kozhikode Corporation
Sabarimala gold case: SIT speeds up inquiry in Dwarapalaka sculptures ‘refurbishment’
Book on science and politics to be released today
CWC meet to discuss women’s quota amendments, delimitation and West Asia
TAGGED:Akhilesh questions ECI’s ‘credibilityAkhilesh Yadav slams elections commissionSIR Uttar PradeshSIR Uttar Pradesh Akhilesh Yadav
Share This Article
Facebook Email Print
Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Follow US

Find US on Social Medias
FacebookLike
XFollow
YoutubeSubscribe
TelegramFollow

Weekly Newsletter

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!
[mc4wp_form]
Popular News

CM Fadnavis warns local BJP units’ alliances with Congress, AIMIM in Maharashtra civic bodies

Times Desk
Times Desk
January 7, 2026
Students gain hands-on experience on drone technology at outreach programme
Beach clean-up drive held at Shanghumughom
Stocks making the biggest moves premarket: Alphabet, Microsoft, Meta Platforms, Eli Lilly, Merck & more
SCR Vijayawada Division collects record ₹1.22 crore in ticket checking drive
- Advertisement -
Ad imageAd image
Global Coronavirus Cases

Confirmed

0

Death

0

More Information:Covid-19 Statistics
© INDIA TIMES NOW 2026 . All Rights Reserved.
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?