By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
India Times NowIndia Times NowIndia Times Now
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
  • Bharat Shreshtha Ratna Sanman
  • India News
  • Categories
    • Technology
    • Entertainment
    • The Escapist
    • Insider
    • Finance ₹
    • India News
    • Science
    • Health
Reading: Headless body of woman sparks unrest between Odisha villages; Internet suspended
Share
India Times NowIndia Times Now
Font ResizerAa
  • Bharat Shreshtha Ratna Sanman
  • India News
  • Categories
Search
  • Bharat Shreshtha Ratna Sanman
  • India News
  • Categories
    • Technology
    • Entertainment
    • The Escapist
    • Insider
    • Finance ₹
    • India News
    • Science
    • Health
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US

Home » Headless body of woman sparks unrest between Odisha villages; Internet suspended

India News

Headless body of woman sparks unrest between Odisha villages; Internet suspended

Times Desk
Last updated: December 8, 2025 7:49 pm
Times Desk
Published: December 8, 2025
Share
SHARE


Internet services were suspended in Odisha’s Malkangiri district on Monday following a clash between tribal villagers and Bengali-speaking people. Prohibitory orders under Section 163 of the Bharatiya Nagarik Suraksha Sanhita were imposed in two villages of the district where houses were torched.

The violence, which erupted on Sunday afternoon, stemmed from the killing of a 51-year-old tribal woman, whose headless body was recently recovered from a river.

According to officials, the deceased woman’s family was embroiled in a land dispute. She had given a piece of her land to a Bengali person for sharecropping. However, a dispute broke out when she wanted to terminate the contract.

“We have suspended Internet services for 24 hours as a preventive measure to stop the spread of mischief. The situation is under control,” District Collector Somesh Kumar Upadhyay said. He added that an investigation has been ordered to find out who triggered the violence and what was its root cause.

“Tension had been simmering between the two villages over growing economic and social disparities,” an official said.

While Bengali-speaking people, who migrated from East Pakistan (now Bangladesh) soon after Independence, are seen to have become economically prosperous, Malkangiri’s indigenous inhabitants remain backward. The tribal community often alleges that the Bengali-speaking people have usurped their land through deception, the official added.

Houses torched

About 5,000 tribal people from Rakhelguda village charged into MV-26 village, with traditional weapons, including axes, and torched several houses on Sunday afternoon. Over 100 families were affected in the attack.

Senior officers immediately visited the affected village and convened a peace meeting. The police have made some headway in the investigation.

Published – December 09, 2025 01:19 am IST



Source link

Bengaluru: 14 foreign nationals among 19 arrested in CCB raids; drugs worth ₹7.7 crore seized
Attack on CJI Gavai ‘a dangerous assault on idea of constitutional morality’, say rights groups urging suo motu response
Rift deepens in Telangana Congress; Minister Surekha’s daughter goes live on social media levelling allegations
Ophthalmologist gets award for community eye care
CM to visit Mysuru on Wednesday
Share This Article
Facebook Email Print
Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Follow US

Find US on Social Medias
FacebookLike
XFollow
YoutubeSubscribe
TelegramFollow

Weekly Newsletter

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!
[mc4wp_form]
Popular News

Telangana Prisons Department denies reports of terror-linked ‘mulaqats’ at Hyderabad’s Central Jail

Times Desk
Times Desk
February 21, 2026
What really happens when teens stop using social media: Sleep and stress insights
Kerala munsiff suspended over ‘fake’ medical reimbursement claims
Commercial flight operations come to a halt at Gondia airport
AAP slams 7 MPs who quit party, says BJP poaching through ‘Operation Lotus’
- Advertisement -
Ad imageAd image
Global Coronavirus Cases

Confirmed

0

Death

0

More Information:Covid-19 Statistics
© INDIA TIMES NOW 2026 . All Rights Reserved.
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?