By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
India Times NowIndia Times NowIndia Times Now
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
  • Bharat Shreshtha Ratna Sanman
  • India News
  • Categories
    • Technology
    • Entertainment
    • The Escapist
    • Insider
    • Finance ₹
    • India News
    • Science
    • Health
Reading: 30 of 70 detained youth released; Ladakh’s land, jobs and livelihood would remain protected: Chief Secretary
Share
India Times NowIndia Times Now
Font ResizerAa
  • Bharat Shreshtha Ratna Sanman
  • India News
  • Categories
Search
  • Bharat Shreshtha Ratna Sanman
  • India News
  • Categories
    • Technology
    • Entertainment
    • The Escapist
    • Insider
    • Finance ₹
    • India News
    • Science
    • Health
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US

Home » 30 of 70 detained youth released; Ladakh’s land, jobs and livelihood would remain protected: Chief Secretary

India News

30 of 70 detained youth released; Ladakh’s land, jobs and livelihood would remain protected: Chief Secretary

Times Desk
Last updated: October 4, 2025 4:50 pm
Times Desk
Published: October 4, 2025
Share
SHARE


Contents
  • ‘Premeditated approach to derail talks’
  • ‘Fruitful meetings and outcomes’
  • Recruitment for 1,385 posts

The Ladakh administration on Saturday (October 4, 2025) said that so far 30 out of 70 youths detained over the September 24 protests in Leh have been released and assured that land resources, jobs and livelihood would remain protected in the region.

“Regarding the detention of 70 youths, who were misled by leaders for their personal gains, 30 have been released. We will ensure youngsters are not put to any hardship and no innocent misguided, is implicated,” Dr. Pawan Kotwal, Chief Secretary of Ladakh, said. He said 40 youths, who are in judicial custody, will be released upon court orders.

Also Read | Sonam Wangchuk’s wife moves Supreme Court, seeks his immediate release

Meanwhile, Leh Bar Association member advocate Dorjay Gyaltsan said, “The magisterial inquiry into the Leh violence is not going in the right direction. Detainees are being harassed.”

Editorial | ​Loyalty and Ladakh: On the detention of Sonam Wangchuk 

Referring to detained activist Sonam Wangchuk, Mr. Kotwal said, “Investigation would establish that certain leaders worked in a negative manner and played with the future of Ladakh. Agitated by the prospect of positive talks with the government, which would lead to the resolution of most of the demands, certain sections worked in a negative manner and sabotaged the process for personal and political gains at the cost of the interests of Ladakh.”

‘Premeditated approach to derail talks’

In an oblique reference to Mr. Wangchuk, Mr. Kotwal said, “Certain elements with a premeditated approach worked to derail the (talks) process and continued the hunger strike and misled people and create a law and order situation, which resulted in unfortunate loss of four precious lives,” he said.

He said an ongoing investigation would prove the same. “All the details would come out clearly during the investigation. We must allow the investigation to go on smoothly. Such an episode could have been avoided, had some leaders risen above politics and called off hunger strike and resumed dialogue as per the agenda already announced,” Mr. Kotwal said.

Referring to the Ministry of Home Affairs-appointed High-Power Committee (HPC) to hold talks on Ladakhis’ demands, Mr. Kotwal said the government always expressed desire for open and constructive dialogue and stands committed to meet the people’s aspirations and start the dialogue process soon, he added.

He said land resources, jobs and livelihood of Ladakhis would remain protected. “The government would continue to work with the people of Ladakh on its ecosystem and cultural identity. It is reiterated to have a carbon neutral Ladakh. Nothing will happen without consultation of locals. No mining has been done and politically motivated leaders should not mislead on this,” he said.

‘Fruitful meetings and outcomes’

He also assured that there was no demographic change or cultural genocide in Ladakh. “Such statements are misleading and meant to create a smokescreen,” he added.

He said the issue of additional Lok Sabha seats was to be taken up at the time of delimitation. “Our policy on Lok Sabha seats is not only based on population, and Ladakh will remain priority,” he added.

He said the Ladakh-Centre talks so far have yielded positive results, while referring to domicile laws that reserve 85% jobs for Scheduled Tribes (ST) in Ladakh.

“So far we have had fruitful meetings and outcomes. The process of dialogue has yielded significant results by increasing reservation for the Ladakh STs from 45% to 85%. One-third reservations in Ladakh Autonomous Hill Development Council for women. Besides, Balti and Purgi have been declared as official languages of Ladakh,” Mr. Kotwal said.

Recruitment for 1,385 posts

Mr. Kotwal said the Ladakh administration was in the process of making recruitment for 1,385 gazetted posts through the Ladakh Subordinate Services Staff Selection Board. Over 3,000 posts have been filled in the past three years.

The Chief Secretary’s statement comes 10 days after Leh witnessed a violent protest over demands of Statehood for Ladakh, its inclusion in the Sixth Schedule of the Constitution, additional Lok Sabha seat and a Public Service Commission.

Meanwhile, mobile Internet continued to remain suspended in Leh on Saturday. Schools have reopened up to primary level but higher classes remain suspended, officials said.

Meanwhile, prominent Buddhist priest Kushok Thiksey, who is the Head Lama and a former Member of Parliament, appealed to the people of Ladakh “to respond to recent events with peace, non-violence, and calm”. He also called upon New Delhi to “address Ladakh’s four-point agenda through peaceful and sincere dialogue”. He also urged the administration to resolve public concerns with restraint and empathy, ensuring trust and stability in the region.

Published – October 04, 2025 10:20 pm IST



Source link

Chief Minister Stalin to inaugurate mega farm expo in Tiruvannamalai on December 26
A new political trajectory in Bihar
Kapali comes alive with AMB Cinemas: Revival or setback for Kannada cinema?
Why Congress walks out of MVA in Mumbai — and how it reshapes the civic contest
Social and Educational survey: Over 1.82 lakh households in Karnataka covered in four days
TAGGED:30 of 70 detained youth released Ladakhjobs and livelihoodLadakh Chief SecretaryLadakh protest latestLadakh’s land
Share This Article
Facebook Email Print
Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Follow US

Find US on Social Medias
FacebookLike
XFollow
YoutubeSubscribe
TelegramFollow

Weekly Newsletter

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!
[mc4wp_form]
Popular News

Cabinet berth only for those who ensure victory in maximum number of constituencies, says Stalin

Times Desk
Times Desk
March 16, 2026
Stair climbing vs walking: Calorie burn and weight loss benefits | National Take The Stairs Day
RSS is recognised as body of individuals, Bhagwat tells critics
Search intensifies for man feared fallen into stream in J&K’s Ramban after assault by cow vigilantes
RBI cheque rules, IRCTC ticketing and NPS equity overhaul: Check list of key financial changes from October 1
- Advertisement -
Ad imageAd image
Global Coronavirus Cases

Confirmed

0

Death

0

More Information:Covid-19 Statistics
© INDIA TIMES NOW 2026 . All Rights Reserved.
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?