By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
India Times NowIndia Times NowIndia Times Now
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
  • Bharat Shreshtha Ratna Sanman
  • India News
  • Categories
    • Technology
    • Entertainment
    • The Escapist
    • Insider
    • Finance ₹
    • India News
    • Science
    • Health
Reading: ‘Very good chance’ U.S. budget deficit has peaked under Trump
Share
India Times NowIndia Times Now
Font ResizerAa
  • Bharat Shreshtha Ratna Sanman
  • India News
  • Categories
Search
  • Bharat Shreshtha Ratna Sanman
  • India News
  • Categories
    • Technology
    • Entertainment
    • The Escapist
    • Insider
    • Finance ₹
    • India News
    • Science
    • Health
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US

Home » ‘Very good chance’ U.S. budget deficit has peaked under Trump

CryptocurrencyFinance ₹Investment

‘Very good chance’ U.S. budget deficit has peaked under Trump

India Times Now Desk
Last updated: August 20, 2026 5:05 pm
India Times Now Desk
Published: August 20, 2026
Share
SHARE


Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent speaking with CNBC on Aug. 4th, 2026.

CNBC

Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent said Thursday there’s a “very good chance” that the U.S. budget deficit under President Donald Trump has likely peaked.

“We are going to be laser focused,” Bessent told CNBC’s Sara Eisen in an exclusive interview a day after his department’s extraordinary debt buyback announcement.

The monthly U.S. budget deficit topped $432 billion in July, its highest level in more than half of a decade, the Treasury Department said last week. That monthly report showed the gap for the fiscal year to date climbed to almost $1.8 trillion, above where it was at the same point a year earlier.

The Treasury Department announced this week that the U.S. government debt pile to fund those deficits hit a new record above $40 trillion. The total has more than doubled over the last decade, exacerbating concerns about the country’s financial health.

Bessent said himself, Trump and Russell Vought, director of the Office of Management and Budget, are among federal government leaders working on fiscal consolidation measures. Several hundreds of billions of dollars could be saved through these efforts, Bessent said.

The White House has marketed its goals for broad and steep tariffs on trading partners as a driver of revenue that can help shrink the national debt. But those levies have run into repeated legal roadblocks, most notably with the Supreme Court’s decision to strike many of them down.

Yet Bessent said he expected this year’s tariff revenue to come in at around the same level as 2025’s after levies were re-implemented despite the challenges. Those revenues should not have to be refunded to companies this time, he said.

“There’s nothing magic about the 40-trillion number,” Bessent said. “We can grow our way out of that.”

Choose CNBC as your preferred source on Google and never miss a moment from the most trusted name in business news.



Source link

India, US sign bilateral framework on securing supply of critical minerals and rare earths | Markets
Rising oil prices may wipe out effects of Trump’s ‘big beautiful bill’
Bill Ackman says he built Microsoft position in first quarter
Here are the five key takeaways from Friday’s consumer price index report
Trump to start final Fed chair interviews beginning with Kevin Warsh
TAGGED:Breaking News: EconomyBreaking News: InvestingBreaking News: Marketsbusiness newsDonald J. TrumpDonald TrumpEconomic eventsEconomyGovernment and politicsInvestment strategyJ.D. VanceMarketsSara EisenScott BessentStock marketsUnited States
Share This Article
Facebook Email Print
Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Follow US

Find US on Social Medias
FacebookLike
XFollow
YoutubeSubscribe
TelegramFollow

Weekly Newsletter

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!
[mc4wp_form]
Popular News

DGP/HoPF, industrial association representatives call on CM Vijay

India Times Now Desk
India Times Now Desk
June 3, 2026
IPS officer’s death: Candlelight vigil held in Vijayawada seeking justice
Kerala Assembly Polls: Official declaration of results likely by 5 p.m. on May 4
Telangana CM Revanth Reddy conveys his resolve to go ahead with Musi development
CBI secures deportation of Red Notice fugitive Vishaka Rathod to India
- Advertisement -
Ad imageAd image
Global Coronavirus Cases

Confirmed

0

Death

0

More Information:Covid-19 Statistics
© INDIA TIMES NOW 2026 . All Rights Reserved.
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?