By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
India Times NowIndia Times NowIndia Times Now
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
  • Bharat Shreshtha Ratna Sanman
  • India News
  • Categories
    • Technology
    • Entertainment
    • The Escapist
    • Insider
    • Finance ₹
    • India News
    • Science
    • Health
Reading: BJD demands extension of claims and objections period under SIR by 30 days in Odisha
Share
India Times NowIndia Times Now
Font ResizerAa
  • Bharat Shreshtha Ratna Sanman
  • India News
  • Categories
Search
  • Bharat Shreshtha Ratna Sanman
  • India News
  • Categories
    • Technology
    • Entertainment
    • The Escapist
    • Insider
    • Finance ₹
    • India News
    • Science
    • Health
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US

Home » BJD demands extension of claims and objections period under SIR by 30 days in Odisha

India News

BJD demands extension of claims and objections period under SIR by 30 days in Odisha

India Times Now Desk
Last updated: August 19, 2026 11:08 pm
India Times Now Desk
Published: August 19, 2026
Share
SHARE


In many flood-affected areas, people are primarily concerned with their safety, evacuation, relief and rehabilitation.

In many flood-affected areas, people are primarily concerned with their safety, evacuation, relief and rehabilitation.
| Photo Credit: PTI

The Biju Janata Dal (BJD) on Wednesday (August 19, 2026) sought the intervention of the Chief Electoral Officer (CEO) for a further extension of the claims and objections period under SIR–2026 by at least 30 days, in light of the flooding and continuous heavy rainfall situation in Odisha.

The BJD drew attention to the enormous workload pending at various levels, the large number of notices and cases requiring hearing and verification, and the necessity of providing adequate opportunity to electors, political parties, and Booth Level Agents (BLAs), thereby justifying the demand for an extension.

The claims and objections period, which was initially scheduled to end on August 4, 2026, has been extended by the Election Commission of India (ECI) to August 19, 2026.

“The prevailing natural calamity in Odisha has affected the ability of thousands of electors, BLAs and election officials to undertake the necessary verification and submission of claims and objections. Several districts and areas of the State are presently facing continuous heavy rainfall, flooding, waterlogging, inundation, disruption of road communication and displacement of families,” the party said in its letter.

Besides, in many affected areas, people are primarily concerned with their safety, evacuation, relief and rehabilitation.

“Under such circumstances, expecting electors to travel to BLOs and other offices or designated centres and complete the electoral procedures within the present deadline is neither practical nor equitable. The issue is particularly serious because the claims and objections stage is a crucial safeguard against the wrongful exclusion of eligible electors from the electoral roll,” the party pointed out.

“We also reiterate the concerns raised in our earlier representation regarding the substantial volume of cases requiring verification and disposal. As per information shared by the Chief Electoral Officer, Odisha, on July 21, 2026, out of 58,36,341 notices proposed to be issued, hearings had reportedly been conducted in only 1,42,111 cases,” said BJD.

“Further, 20,32,019 Form 7 applications relating to deletion of names had been reported to political parties. These figures themselves demonstrate the magnitude of the exercise and the need for sufficient time for proper verification, scrutiny and hearing. In such a situation, closing the claims and objections process on August 19, 2026, despite the continuing disruption caused by flood and heavy rainfall, may result in genuine electors being deprived of a meaningful opportunity to protect their electoral rights,” the party further said.

Published – August 20, 2026 05:30 am IST



Source link

Railways to serve non-vegetarian food on Howrah-Guwahati Vande Bharat Express
Minister Ajay Dharam Singh reviews drought situation in Raichur
Vettilakkolli residents seek basic amenities
Kerala election 2026: State election commission seeks report on charges of fake Aadhaar cards in Payyannur
Partition in 1947 result of ‘population imbalance’: RSS leader Sunil Ambekar
TAGGED:BJD Odishaodisha electionsOdisha flood 2026Odisha flood situationodisha SIR process
Share This Article
Facebook Email Print
Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Follow US

Find US on Social Medias
FacebookLike
XFollow
YoutubeSubscribe
TelegramFollow

Weekly Newsletter

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!
[mc4wp_form]
Popular News

Telangana IPS officers condemn ‘character assassination’ of women bureaucrats by media

India Times Now Desk
India Times Now Desk
January 10, 2026
Gold drops Rs 2.5k per 10 grams, silver at Rs 2.44 lakh per kg on MCX | Check city-wise rates | Markets
High intake of packaged foods tied to elevated BP among youth: NIN study
Namma 112 helpline sees significant growth; calls from women rise
Dhurandhar: Saumya Tandon recalls ‘slap scene’ with Akshaye Khanna, says ‘the amount of love…’
- Advertisement -
Ad imageAd image
Global Coronavirus Cases

Confirmed

0

Death

0

More Information:Covid-19 Statistics
© INDIA TIMES NOW 2026 . All Rights Reserved.
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?