By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
India Times NowIndia Times NowIndia Times Now
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
  • Bharat Shreshtha Ratna Sanman
  • India News
  • Categories
    • Technology
    • Entertainment
    • The Escapist
    • Insider
    • Finance ₹
    • India News
    • Science
    • Health
Reading: US Justice Department drops all charges against Gautam Adani; case closed permanently
Share
India Times NowIndia Times Now
Font ResizerAa
  • Bharat Shreshtha Ratna Sanman
  • India News
  • Categories
Search
  • Bharat Shreshtha Ratna Sanman
  • India News
  • Categories
    • Technology
    • Entertainment
    • The Escapist
    • Insider
    • Finance ₹
    • India News
    • Science
    • Health
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US

Home » US Justice Department drops all charges against Gautam Adani; case closed permanently

BusinessStartup

US Justice Department drops all charges against Gautam Adani; case closed permanently

Times Desk
Last updated: May 18, 2026 5:29 pm
Times Desk
Published: May 18, 2026
Share
SHARE


New Delhi:

In a big win for business tycoon Gautam Adani, the Justice Department of the United States (US) has dropped all criminal charges against him and closed the case permanently, reported news agency PTI on Monday, citing court filings.

“The Department of Justice has reviewed this case and has decided, in its prosecutorial discretion, not to devote further resources to these criminal charges against individual defendants,” US prosecutors said in a filing.

The development comes after the Adani Group agreed to pay USD 275 million following the decision of the US Treasury Department’s Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) to settle allegations against the firm for violating US sanctions on Iran amid its ongoing conflict in the Middle East.

Last week, the civil allegations against Adani and his nephew Sagar were also settled by the US Securities and Exchange Commission. The duo had reportedly agreed to pay USD 18 million, but without admitting or denying wrongdoing.

Case permanently closed

Based on the submissions by the Justice Department, the court ordered that the indictment against Adani and others “be dismissed with prejudice”. The dismissal “with prejudice” means that the case won’t be reopened.

Citing people familiar with matter, PTI reported that the case turned into Adani’s favour after it was found that there was no clear evidence to sustain the allegations against Adani and others.

Gautam Adani, Sagar Adani and Vneet Jaain were charged only under securities and wire fraud statutes (counts 2, 3 and 4). They were not named in the more serious Foreign Corrupt Practices Act bribery charge or obstruction-related count (counts 1 and 5), which prosecutors brought against other defendants in the wider case. 

The Adani Group has consistently rejected the allegations as meritless, defending its governance and compliance standards while pledging to contest the proceedings through legal channels.

That distinction, along with no US linkages, increasingly molded criticism of the government’s legal approach. Former SEC commissioner Laura Unger argued that authorities had effectively attempted to predicate a securities fraud case on allegations of bribery that had neither been adjudicated nor formally pursued in India.

ALSO READ – Adani Group to invest up to Rs 12 lakh crore in India by 2031: Gautam Adani





Source link

Healthcare stock hits 52-week high post announcement of step-down subsidiary, check share price
Will your PF account still earn interest even after you leave job? Know truth here
When will Vande Bharat sleeper trains be launched in India? Railway Minister Ashwini Vaishnaw says this
Union Budget 2026: Physical copies of of the budget brought to Parliament | Video
Market Opening Bell: Sensex gains 137 points, Nifty holds 25,900, Tata Motors PV crash 6%
TAGGED:Adaniadani enterprisesAdani Enterprises US Treasury DepartmentcasechargesclosedDepartmentdropsGautamGautam AdaniGautam Adani US Justice DepartmentIran warjusticepermanentlyUS Iran ceasefireus iran warus israel iran war
Share This Article
Facebook Email Print
Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Follow US

Find US on Social Medias
FacebookLike
XFollow
YoutubeSubscribe
TelegramFollow

Weekly Newsletter

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!
[mc4wp_form]
Popular News

HYDRAA to take up revival of 14 lakes soon at ₹303 crore: Sridhar Babu

Times Desk
Times Desk
March 28, 2026
China’s industrial profits edge up in 2025, reversing three years of declines as Beijing curbs price wars
Bihar officials struggle to recover ₹10,000 wrongly credited to men under women-only scheme
Did you know a viral cricket match picture made Sandeep Reddy Vanga cast Bobby Deol in Animal?
When Sandeep Reddy Vanga took a veiled dig at Deepika Padukone over Spirit plot leak
- Advertisement -
Ad imageAd image
Global Coronavirus Cases

Confirmed

0

Death

0

More Information:Covid-19 Statistics
© INDIA TIMES NOW 2026 . All Rights Reserved.
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?