By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
India Times NowIndia Times NowIndia Times Now
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
  • Bharat Shreshtha Ratna Sanman
  • India News
  • Categories
    • Technology
    • Entertainment
    • The Escapist
    • Insider
    • Finance ₹
    • India News
    • Science
    • Health
Reading: Vinesh reaches Gonda, insists she is eligible to compete; WFI says her reply incomplete
Share
India Times NowIndia Times Now
Font ResizerAa
  • Bharat Shreshtha Ratna Sanman
  • India News
  • Categories
Search
  • Bharat Shreshtha Ratna Sanman
  • India News
  • Categories
    • Technology
    • Entertainment
    • The Escapist
    • Insider
    • Finance ₹
    • India News
    • Science
    • Health
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US

Home » Vinesh reaches Gonda, insists she is eligible to compete; WFI says her reply incomplete

India News

Vinesh reaches Gonda, insists she is eligible to compete; WFI says her reply incomplete

Times Desk
Last updated: May 11, 2026 9:09 am
Times Desk
Published: May 11, 2026
Share
SHARE


Wrestler Vinesh Phogat. File

Wrestler Vinesh Phogat. File
| Photo Credit: PTI

Vinesh Phogat arrived at Gonda, Uttar Pradesh, on Monday (May 11, 2026) and replied to the Wrestling Federation of India’s (WFI) show-cause notice, claiming that she was eligible to return from retirement even though the national federation maintained that she cannot be allowed to compete in the ongoing National Open Ranking tournament.

The WFI said she cannot compete until disciplinary proceedings against her are complete.

The national federation had earlier declared Vinesh ineligible to participate in domestic events till June 26, 2026, citing the mandatory six-month notice period linked to athletes returning from retirement under anti-doping rules.

Immediately after landing in Ayodhya, Vinesh replied to the WFI’s show-cause notice, claiming that Rule 5.6.1 of the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) Code concerning retired athletes does not apply to her as she had already informed United World Wrestling (UWW) in June about her decision to resume competition after retirement.

In her response, Vinesh argued that she had formally intimated UWW about her comeback well in advance and, therefore, fulfilled the procedural requirements needed to return to competition.

However, WFI sources said the federation was not satisfied with her reply and felt that the wrestler had addressed only the eligibility aspect while failing to respond comprehensively to the broader disciplinary charges levelled against her in the detailed notice issued earlier.

“The reply is not enough. She has not answered the full show-cause notice. Until a disciplinary hearing is conducted and the matter is decided, she cannot be permitted to compete,” a WFI source told PTI.

The controversy erupted after WFI issued a strongly worded show-cause notice to the celebrated wrestler, accusing her of indiscipline, breach of federation rules and anti-doping related procedural violations.

Before that, Vinesh had claimed that WFI was trying to block her entry.

The WFI also maintained that a “wrong narrative” was being spread that the selection criteria for the National Open Ranking Tournament had been altered specifically to prevent Vinesh from competing.

Vinesh had announced her retirement from the sport after her disqualification from the women’s 50kg gold medal bout at the 2024 Paris Olympics.

While her husband said that Vinesh never announced her retirement officially, and merely posted it on social media, WFI has maintained that a communication from UWW in December 2024 acknowledged that she had intimated the International Testing Agency (ITA) about her retirement.

Vinesh, on the other hand, has argued that she had subsequently informed the world body about her intention to return and was therefore eligible to enter the tournament in Gonda.

The weigh-in for the women’s wrestlers is scheduled between 5 p.m. and 7 p.m. on Monday (May 11, 2026) and the competition is scheduled for Tuesday (May 12, 2026).

The medal winners at the event are likely to get a chance to compete at the World Championship trials later this year but they won’t be allowed to compete in Asian Games trials as per the WFI policy.

Published – May 11, 2026 02:39 pm IST



Source link

Isn’t checking infiltration your job, Assam party asks Amit Shah
Karur stampede: Tamil Nadu government to frame rules and guidelines for public events, says CM Stalin
Cancer to comics — Bengal researcher makes art out of science
Alliterative expression as the Dravidian movement’s political weapon
Trump repeats claim he ended conflict between India and Pakistan; said he threatened 200% tariffs on countries
TAGGED:vinesh phogat National Open Ranking tournamentvinesh phogat paris olympicsvinesh phogat retirementVinesh phogat wfi
Share This Article
Facebook Email Print
Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Follow US

Find US on Social Medias
FacebookLike
XFollow
YoutubeSubscribe
TelegramFollow

Weekly Newsletter

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!
[mc4wp_form]
Popular News

Lowest temperatures begin to rise in Telangana; Minimum of 12.6°C recorded

Times Desk
Times Desk
January 3, 2026
Three Sindhanur teachers booked for assaulting student, cutting his hair off
Continued West Asia crisis deepens stress on manufacturing sector
Five-hour rescue operation saves driver trapped in mangled cabin
Kerala Police warn of fake update scam targeting smarphone users
- Advertisement -
Ad imageAd image
Global Coronavirus Cases

Confirmed

0

Death

0

More Information:Covid-19 Statistics
© INDIA TIMES NOW 2026 . All Rights Reserved.
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?