By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
India Times NowIndia Times NowIndia Times Now
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
  • Bharat Shreshtha Ratna Sanman
  • India News
  • Categories
    • Technology
    • Entertainment
    • The Escapist
    • Insider
    • Finance ₹
    • India News
    • Science
    • Health
Reading: Deadline looming, parties rush to name candidates for Maharashtra civic polls
Share
India Times NowIndia Times Now
Font ResizerAa
  • Bharat Shreshtha Ratna Sanman
  • India News
  • Categories
Search
  • Bharat Shreshtha Ratna Sanman
  • India News
  • Categories
    • Technology
    • Entertainment
    • The Escapist
    • Insider
    • Finance ₹
    • India News
    • Science
    • Health
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US

Home » Deadline looming, parties rush to name candidates for Maharashtra civic polls

India News

Deadline looming, parties rush to name candidates for Maharashtra civic polls

India Times Now Desk
Last updated: December 29, 2025 7:29 pm
India Times Now Desk
Published: December 29, 2025
Share
SHARE


Contents
  • ‘Historic alliance’
  • Setting agendas

With the nomination window closing on December 30 for the Maharashtra municipal corporation polls scheduled for January 15, political parties are in a frenetic rush to finalise their candidates. On Monday, several parties released the candidates’ list and issued AB forms to the contestants.

The Congress, after announcing an alliance with Prakash Ambedkar’s Vanchit Bahujan Aghadi (VBA), released a list of 87 candidates, while VBA announced names of 10 candidates. The list includes a mix of candidates representing various castes and religions, including OBC, Maratha, Dalit, and others.

The VBA has decided to contest in 62 seats, while the Congress will contest in 165 out of a total of 227 seats.

‘Historic alliance’

“This is a historic alliance as it could be a direction of politics in Maharashtra. Now that an alliance has been made, both the Congress and VBA will work together, keeping our ideology intact,” said Congress MP Varsha Gaikwad.

The Shiv Sena (UBT) and MNS, which will be contesting against its ally Congress and Mahayuti’s BJP-Shiv Sena, and NCP, have issued AB forms to at least 60 candidates on Monday. Among the notable contestants are former MP and party secretary Vinayak Raut’s son Geetesh Raut, MLA Sunil Prabhu’s son Ankit Prabhu, MLA Haroon Khan’s daughter Saba Haroon Khan. They have also introduced a few new faces.

Following the marathon meetings, the BJP and Eknath Shinde-led Shiv Sena have an agreement for over 207 seats. However, the decision on 20 seats is pending. “Shiv Sena will contest 79 seats, BJP 128 seats, and the rest of the seats will be decided based on Opposition candidates in those constituencies,” said Ameet Satam, Mumbai BJP president.

The BJP issued AB forms to at least 66 candidates, including Tejasvi Goshalkar, who recently quit Shiv Sena (UBT), Neil Somaiya, son of Kirit Somaiya, Makarand Narvekar, and Ravi Raja.

Setting agendas

Thackeray cousins – Raj and Udhhav – are banking on the agenda of Marathi manoos, while the BJP is focusing on hard-Hindutva and urban development projects. Meanwhile, the Congress is pressing on the corruption during the Mahayuti government and pushing issues like air pollution and other civic problems.

With various alliances and combinations in place, Mumbai will witness a four-pronged contest and new entrants contesting for the first time. With Shiv Sena (UBT) and Raj Thackeray’s MNS union, Congress-VBA alliance, BJP-Shiv Sena partnership, Ajit Pawar’s NCP, and APP’s entry, the BMC elections are going to be a competitive battle.

Sharad Pawar’s NCP, which released the list of seven candidates on Monday, is likely to go with Shiv Sena (UBT). However, there has been no formal announcement yet.

Earlier, the elections had been between Maha Vikas Aghadi (MVA)-Shiv Sena (UBT), NCP-SP, and Congress and Mahayuti- Shiv Sena, BJP, and NCP-AP. The Aam Aadmi Party has entered the BMC elections for the first time, announcing names of 51 candidates so far, with plans to contest all 227 wards.

Published – December 30, 2025 12:59 am IST



Source link

Kotappakonda temple festival arrangements – The Hindu
Miraculous escape for 26 after Karnataka bus overturns in Kurnool
‘Weakening public faith’ vs. ‘justified stand’: legal experts divided over Kejriwal’s decision
Circular issued in 2024 against keeping items near windscreen, KSRTC informs Kerala HC
Ejipura flyover likely to be completed by June: GBA Chief
Share This Article
Facebook Email Print
Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Follow US

Find US on Social Medias
FacebookLike
XFollow
YoutubeSubscribe
TelegramFollow

Weekly Newsletter

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!
[mc4wp_form]
Popular News

Sankranti exodus chokes Hyderabad roads, traffic peaks on key corridors

India Times Now Desk
India Times Now Desk
January 9, 2026
Bridgerton Season 4 Part 2: Release date, number of episodes and what to expect
Deputy CM stresses diaspora’s role in T.N.’s economic growth
Tummala stresses timely supply of oil palm seedlings, drip systems
Why TCS hired over 9,200 employees in Q1 despite AI job loss fears | Business
- Advertisement -
Ad imageAd image
Global Coronavirus Cases

Confirmed

0

Death

0

More Information:Covid-19 Statistics
© INDIA TIMES NOW 2026 . All Rights Reserved.
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?