By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
India Times NowIndia Times NowIndia Times Now
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
  • Bharat Shreshtha Ratna Sanman
  • India News
  • Categories
    • Technology
    • Entertainment
    • The Escapist
    • Insider
    • Finance ₹
    • India News
    • Science
    • Health
Reading: Bengal Governor orders inquiry into firing of starter gun at marathon run in Kolkata
Share
India Times NowIndia Times Now
Font ResizerAa
  • Bharat Shreshtha Ratna Sanman
  • India News
  • Categories
Search
  • Bharat Shreshtha Ratna Sanman
  • India News
  • Categories
    • Technology
    • Entertainment
    • The Escapist
    • Insider
    • Finance ₹
    • India News
    • Science
    • Health
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US

Home » Bengal Governor orders inquiry into firing of starter gun at marathon run in Kolkata

India News

Bengal Governor orders inquiry into firing of starter gun at marathon run in Kolkata

India Times Now Desk
Last updated: December 24, 2025 1:50 am
India Times Now Desk
Published: December 24, 2025
Share
SHARE


West Bengal Governor C V Ananda Bose, centre, fires a pistol during the flagging off of ‘10th Tata Steel World 25K’ event, in Kolkata, Sunday, Dec. 21, 2025.

West Bengal Governor C V Ananda Bose, centre, fires a pistol during the flagging off of ‘10th Tata Steel World 25K’ event, in Kolkata, Sunday, Dec. 21, 2025.
| Photo Credit: PTI

West Bengal Governor C.V. Ananda Bose on Tuesday (December 23, 2025) ordered an inquiry into an incident involving the firing of a starter gun during the flagging-off of a marathon run in the city on December 21, a senior official at the Lok Bhavan said.

An inquiry committee has been asked to assess the matter from multiple angles, the official said.

The order followed a report submitted by the Aide-de-Camp on duty, Major Nikhil Kumar, which stated that the starter gun had been arranged by the event organisers.

According to the report, the Governor followed all prescribed safety instructions while firing the gun, the official said.

It also noted that minor splinters or particle-like fragments were emitted from the starter gun upon firing, but confirmed that no injury was caused to the Governor or anyone else present at the venue.

Mr. Bose has directed that all aspects of the incident be examined, including whether there was any deliberate security breach, an attempt to sabotage the event, “or a threat to his life”, the official told PTI.

An inquiry committee has been asked to assess the matter from multiple angles, he said.

The order followed a report submitted by the Aide-de-Camp on duty, Major Nikhil Kumar, which stated that the starter gun had been arranged by the event organisers.

According to the report, the Governor followed all prescribed safety instructions while firing the gun, the official said.

It also noted that minor splinters or particle-like fragments were emitted from the starter gun upon firing, but confirmed that no injury was caused to the Governor or anyone else present at the venue.

“No medical assistance was required and the event proceeded without disruption,” the report stated.

The official said the Governor was well-versed in handling such guns and had flagged off the same event over the past two years without any incident.

“Such guns only emit sound and smoke. The organisers did not brief the Governor, which they should have. The question is whether this year there were no tests conducted on the gun. We are also trying to find out whether the gun was faulty,” he said.

Meanwhile, the Governor’s Office rejected media reports suggesting that the starter gun was fired without precautions, terming such claims factually incorrect.

The Aide-de-Camp report attributed the incident to a possible equipment-related issue rather than any lapse in protocol or handling, and said the gun and ammunition should have been properly checked and test-fired by the organisers in advance.

Mr. Bose’s security has been beefed up following the incident, the official added.

Published – December 24, 2025 07:20 am IST



Source link

Experts, citizens slam Karnataka’s plan for metro line to Tumakuru, call suburban rail a better alternative
‘This is India, not North Korea’: Rahul slams PM over action against Youth Congress members
Top official reviews Independence Day arrangements at Parade Grounds in Amaravati
Kerala Assembly elections 2026: Thodupuzha voters to weigh legacy and continuity against growing calls for change
‘National interest’ will guide BNP on Ganga Water Treaty renewal: BNP chair’s foreign affairs adviser
TAGGED:Bengal Governor orders inquiryC.V. Ananda Bose starter gun incidentfiring of starter gun at marathon runWest Bengal Governor C.V. Ananda Bose
Share This Article
Facebook Email Print
Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Follow US

Find US on Social Medias
FacebookLike
XFollow
YoutubeSubscribe
TelegramFollow

Weekly Newsletter

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!
[mc4wp_form]
Popular News

In the age of AI, governing decisions matters more than governing infra, say experts

India Times Now Desk
India Times Now Desk
February 12, 2026
YSR was a legendary leader who changed crores of lives, says Y.S. Sharmila
School of Planning and Architecture to host cultural fest from March 23
BJP begins gathering public opinion for election manifesto
No shortage of LPG, Oppn. creating panic among public, says Fadnavis
- Advertisement -
Ad imageAd image
Global Coronavirus Cases

Confirmed

0

Death

0

More Information:Covid-19 Statistics
© INDIA TIMES NOW 2026 . All Rights Reserved.
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?