By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
India Times NowIndia Times NowIndia Times Now
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
  • Bharat Shreshtha Ratna Sanman
  • India News
  • Categories
    • Technology
    • Entertainment
    • The Escapist
    • Insider
    • Finance ₹
    • India News
    • Science
    • Health
Reading: Karnataka High Court allows continuation of probe in Dharmasthala case as SIT says it has ‘credible allegations’ against activists
Share
India Times NowIndia Times Now
Font ResizerAa
  • Bharat Shreshtha Ratna Sanman
  • India News
  • Categories
Search
  • Bharat Shreshtha Ratna Sanman
  • India News
  • Categories
    • Technology
    • Entertainment
    • The Escapist
    • Insider
    • Finance ₹
    • India News
    • Science
    • Health
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US

Home » Karnataka High Court allows continuation of probe in Dharmasthala case as SIT says it has ‘credible allegations’ against activists

India News

Karnataka High Court allows continuation of probe in Dharmasthala case as SIT says it has ‘credible allegations’ against activists

Times Desk
Last updated: November 12, 2025 3:23 pm
Times Desk
Published: November 12, 2025
Share
SHARE


Contents
  • ‘Fear of truth’
  • ‘Credible allegations’
A view of the High Court of Karnataka

A view of the High Court of Karnataka
| Photo Credit: file photo

Mahesh Shetty Thimarodi

Mahesh Shetty Thimarodi
| Photo Credit:
file photo

The High Court of Karnataka on Wednesday allowed continuation of investigation by vacating its earlier interim order of staying the probe based on the first information report (FIR), registered in July, on a complaint of alleged mass burial of bodies of sexually assaulted women in Dharmasthala based on a “voluntary” statement given by a person by name Chinnaiah.

The stay was granted earlier on a petition filed by four activists — Girish Mattennavar, Mahesh Shetty Thimarody, T. Jayant, and Vittala Gowda — who were at the forefront of a campaign for registration of criminal case on the allegation of burials, and for constitution of a Special Investigation Team (SIT).

However, the petitioner-activists had knocked the doors of the High Court against the FIR after the SIT recently issued notices to them under Section 35 (3) of the Bharatiya Nagarik Suraksha Sanhita, suspecting them to have indulged in cognisable offence in projecting a false case of mass burial through Chinnaiah, instead of treating them as witnesses as done earlier.

Justice Mohammad Nawaz, before whom the petition came up for further hearing, vacated the October 30 interim order of staying the probe after considering the statement of objections filed by the SIT opposing the petition and seeking lifting of stay against investigation. However, the court directed the SIT not to harass the petitioners in the guise of the probe.

‘Fear of truth’

“Petitioners and their associates are fearful of the truth being revealed and are attempting to scuttle the investigation and derail the entire process by filing one or the other writ petition,” it was contended by SIT’s Special Public Prosecutor B.N. Jagadeesha in the written statement of objections.

It was further stated that continuation of investigation was essential in this serious matter, for which significant expenses had already been borne by the State, into “the false and mala fide allegations of the complainant [Chinnaiah], on the instructions of the petitioners and other associates.”

Pointing out that Chinnaiah (now an accused in the case) had later disclosed about the falsification of his complaint and stated that his complaint and statements were as per the instructions and active connivance of the petitioners, the SIT also told the court that Chinnaiah was staying in the house of one of the petitioners and all the petitioners were controlling him, including “what to say and what not to say before the police/SIT.”

Names of the petitioners were found in the fresh confession statement of Chinnaiah, the SIT said while pointing that claims of Chinnaiah were found to be bogus through the investigation.

‘Credible allegations’

The question of arresting the petitioners would not arise if they cooperated with the probe, the SIT said, while contending that that “there are serious and credible allegations against the petitioners and their associates that are independently corroborated through detailed field investigations carried out by the SIT based on circumstantial, evidence of credible witnesses, and digital forensic evidence.”

Notices issued to the petitioners asking them appear for questioning were backed by “immaculate investigation, and by incontrovertible evidence from multiple sources”, the SIT stated.

Published – November 12, 2025 08:53 pm IST



Source link

Carving of mythological Gandabherunda found at Vinukonda Narasimhaswamy temple
Mananchira-Malaparamba stretch likely to be ready by January, says Public Works Minister
Special trains to clear Deepavali rush
Singer Zubeen Garg’s family to take final call on cremation site: Assam Minister
Senior writer, folk scholar Mogalli Ganesh passes away at 64
TAGGED:Karnataka High Court allows continuation of probe in Dharmasthala case as SIT says it has ‘credible allegations’ against activists
Share This Article
Facebook Email Print
Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Follow US

Find US on Social Medias
FacebookLike
XFollow
YoutubeSubscribe
TelegramFollow

Weekly Newsletter

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!
[mc4wp_form]
Popular News

Delhi court lifts gag order that banned journalist Paranjoy Guha Thakurta from reporting on Adani Enterprises  

Times Desk
Times Desk
September 25, 2025
President Murmu to visit Hyderabad on November 21
India committed to no longer purchasing Russian oil, $500 billion of investments into U.S.: White House
This BSE smallcap company announces quarterly results, check net profit, revenue and other details
Union Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman visits Virupaksha temple at Hampi
- Advertisement -
Ad imageAd image
Global Coronavirus Cases

Confirmed

0

Death

0

More Information:Covid-19 Statistics
© INDIA TIMES NOW 2026 . All Rights Reserved.
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?